Left it at home, once, and guess what...

This is a discussion on Left it at home, once, and guess what... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened because my habits are all screwed up by moving, but I should have known better. Had a very vivid dream the other night ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left it at home, once, and guess what...

This happened because my habits are all screwed up by moving, but I should have known better.

Had a very vivid dream the other night that just screamed 'don't take it next time you go out.' This morning I forgot to grab it and locked the bedroom door behind me (didn't want to wake up the Mrs. to get it, and figured that after the dream it was indicative), I'd just grab one when I got to work anyway. That's the last time I pay attention to that sort of thing!

I got on the road and was almost to work when my truck loses power and practically stops cold on the interstate. Got to the shoulder safely and, after some phone calls, realized I was facing a 1-2 mile walk in the dark to a service station. I was in a low-end commerical and residential area next to a MAJOR interstate corridor, prime for criminal activity...and I left it at home.

I maintained a high level of SA, and didn't run into any immediate threats...fortunately the bg's are usually asleep by 0530 from their evening activities, and everyone else just wants to get to work.

I did get my gas (turns out I used waaay more gas moving than I realized, and I failed to believe my broken gas sensor that it was actually empty) and got to work safely...but I think this was a not-so-subtle hint to avoid doing that again. As it probably won't work out so well.

Lesson: if you keep something with you all the time, everytime you don't you'll need it. I've always found this to be true...a knife, a light, a gun, a phone, etc. If you leave it, you will need it (or at least wish you had it), even you rarely actually use it.

I should have known better, and now I do.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Glad you are safe. Thanks for reminding us to bring it every time!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Your post reminded me of this thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...not-glock.html
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Glad you got out of there safely. "Better to have a gun and not need it....."

Let it be a lesson to all of us.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I've worked out a system that prevents me from ever leaving home without mine.
    I simply get dressed from the bottom up, socks first, then underwear, pants, belt, holster, gun, then bra and shirt. Bra and shirt never ever go on until the gun is in the holster. If I go out the door without my firearm, I'm pretty sure I(or someone else) would notice pretty quick.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

What did you mean by " I'll grab one at work"?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Could it be he meant "bombing Pearl Harbor", AKA "delivering a load of logs"?
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

scary reminder glad it all worked out ok.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by itsatoolbox View Post

I got on the road and was almost to work when my truck loses power and practically stops cold on the interstate ... next to a MAJOR interstate corridor, prime for criminal activity.
    The gods were watching, and reminding you. Thank you for reminding everyone here.

A person NEVER knows what is going to transpire. On any given day, any number of elements in the array of things we do can go just slightly wrong, leaving us in a less-than-savory situation.

One of the last times I went without (both defensive sidearm and cell phone) was years ago during a short trip that ended up taking me through some riskier neighborhoods near the Los Angeles Int'l Airport (California). Within ~3mi of the airport, it's not the best of neighborhoods, for those who know the area. (Mixed-bag, light-industrial slum that borders a business district with hundreds of folks who each seem to be a lookout for the local thuggery-buggery crowd.) Suffice to say that having car troubles in that area can be highly toxic to one's ability to survive the day. Had no phone and no defensive tools. A handful of highly-attentive thugs were watching me drive by, and it was probably painfully obvious that I was out of my element. (Think Warriors meets Deliverance.) Had problems arose that required my stopping, I'd have become the main course of an ugly dish, that morning, trussed and served, still steaming no doubt ... I vowed: never again. It's just not worth it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I think the real mistake you made was running out of gas. Fix the gas gauge. Put a gas can in the bed of your truck...

I also think it interesting that your first thoughts went to your missing firearm. I would have been more concerned with being hit by a look-e-loo driver while on the shoulder or while walking.

Many of us are guilty of being dependent on a firearm... it is one of the most rarely used tools in the kit.

cheers...

[QUOTE=onetuza;1325663]Could it be he meant "bombing Pearl Harbor", AKA "delivering a load of logs"?[/QUOTE]
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

So... you left your flashlight at home?

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    What did you mean by " I'll grab one at work"?
    I meant I'd pick up a gun when I got to work...which is why I didn't put it on while dressing as rugergirl suggested (I do when I'm not going to work), because it would have to come back off to put the other on. Usually its secured in the console from when I leave home until I get back there.

Also, while I do recognize the link to the "my faith is not in glock" thread, its really not the first thing that came to mind. Its the last thing I thought of before I got out of the truck to walk to the gas station. It just became ironic and poingent when I later thought about why I didn't have it with me.

I believe this is an extension of Murphy's Law... Whatever you will need, you will leave at home...

This past January, I flew back to the city after being home for Christmas. I was jet-lagged, exhausted, needed groceries, at 10 at night. The phone battery was getting low so I left it home charging. Not like I'd need it, right?

When I was in the store, some guy approached me and told me I was cute. At first I was flattered, but declined to give him my number. Then he started following me around the store despite repeated requests to leave me alone. He kept asking me questions like where I lived or if I lived alone or where my family was. I tried to ignore him, and kept asking him to leave but this guy wouldn't take no for an answer. By the time he's following me through the check out my hands are shaking and I know I can't go out to the dark parking lot because I had this distinct image of being shoved into the trunk of my own car... And I remember cursing myself for leaving the stupid phone behind (though at that moment I was very much wishing for a gun too but alas, I was only 20...). Luckily I was able to pull a manager aside and she took me seriously (the check out guy didn't-- hence I was dearly wishing for the phone/a firearm, I thought the store might make me go out there with him), and walked me to my car while calling off site security to deal with it... the guy saw them drive up and started running away... And that was just one very good reason why I wanted to CC!

Same thing though... you never know when you're going to need it so best to not leave home without it... keys, phone, knife, gun... Better safe than sorry! Also, don't go to grocery stores at 10pm if you can help it.
    Last edited by xSerenityx; October 7th, 2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I think the real mistake you made was running out of gas. Fix the gas gauge. Put a gas can in the bed of your truck...
    You're quite right...it honestly never crossed my mind that I was low until after I was on the side of the road. Its so consistent on MPG that I just watch the trip odometer and fill when needed. The reason it ran dry is that I got 12mpg instead of the normal 18mpg, due to carrying extra weight and driving differently while moving. It ran out 140 miles before usual.

Btw, the weapon is for the situation I couldn't avoid, not the sole basis for my strategy. Like my insurance policy.

I appriciate the honest assessment...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links