Where do you keep your CPL/CHL/CWL.....

This is a discussion on Where do you keep your CPL/CHL/CWL..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I already know the answer to this but posting on internet forums is free so..... I have a minor problem with where to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you keep your CPL/CHL/CWL.....

I think I already know the answer to this but posting on internet forums is free so.....

I have a minor problem with where to keep my CPL. I use a money clip with just my ID and a couple of credit cards. I don't use a wallet. For various reasons, I don't cary regularly (but I'm working on it). I don't want to permanently cary my CPL in my money clip as I feel it's too obviously a CPL - I know the odds are slim that someone would make me because of that but I'd rather not take the chance.

Because of this, I do not cary my CPL regularly and simply leave it on top of my holster to remind me to pop it into my pocket when I do cary. Problem is that my CPL is starting to get beat up from not being in a holder and it almost went through the wash when I forgot to pull it out of my pocket one time.

One thought I had was to use one of those stick on business card holders to fix it right on the back side of the holster (supertuck) - no way to forget it then. However, I could also envision getting shot by a cop when trying to retrieve it for a traffic stop. On the other hand, just getting my ID out of my pocket for traffic stop brings my hand really close to my gun. So, a few questions:

1) If you're in a traffic stop or something like that, do you get your ID out before the cop comes to your window or do you wait, explain what's going on, then carefully retrieve your ID and CPL (MI is a must inform state).

2) How stupid is my business card holder idea?

3) Any other suggestions on how to keep the CPL with the gun without keeping it in my money clip?

I use a money clip too...well...a money "clamp".

Geneva - Money Clamp

Mine has the little leather carrier for the cards, and cash simply wraps around the carrier. Keeps all the cards hidden until you physically remove them from the carrier.

Been sporting this instead of a wallet for a couple years now, and would never go back to a conventional wallet.

Maybe something like this would work for you.

I went to a very slim money clip/wallet combo several years ago. There are only a few cards I need to carry on a regular basis: DL, CHP, military ID, insurance card, AAA card and two credit cards. Everything else wound up in my briefcase.

It's much slimmer than a regular wallet, but I find I need those cards on a moment's notice, and had to find away to ensure they are on my person every time I am outside of my own home.

I've got three cards ready in my wallet: DL, proof of Vehicle insurance and Vehicle registration. Where do you keep these? I must show them if a police officer asks for them, so I (and most people in Florida) have them ready for inspection. That's always been the case here. I keep the CWL with those three other cards.
    I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Mine stays in my wallet right behind my ID!
    [One Nation Under God]

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abie Normal View Post
    proof of Vehicle insurance and Vehicle registration.
    Some states don't require you to show your vehicle registration. TX has stickers on the window to show the officer. (Plus I'm sure it pops up when they run the plates.) So I don't have any proof of registration.

I keep my insurance card in my glove box. That way if I'm in my car, I have it. I don't have to worry about leaving it at home.

and my license(s) are in my wallet.

Mine stays just behind my DL in my wallet (in my purse). But for your purposes, it sounds like a mini-wallet, or clip/clamp with a small pocket sounds like the way to go. I would avoid leaving it loose anywhere, like a pocket.

I have yet to be stopped (only been carrying a year). Before CC, I reached into my purse for my DL, and the glove compartment for my insurance info.

Now, I think that I will wait with my hands on the steering wheel and (being required to inform) tell the LEO I am carrying, and ask him/her how they want to proceed.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Mine stays in my wallet right behind my DL.

You say you are afraid of being made by having your CPL in your clip, why not just put it directly behind your DL. How often are you required to show your DL that you have to pull it out of the clip? Is the back of you CPL that much different than the back of your DL. In Texas they are basically the same, electronic code bar, and some wording.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    1) If you're in a traffic stop or something like that, do you get your ID out before the cop comes to your window or do you wait, explain what's going on, then carefully retrieve your ID and CPL (MI is a must inform state).

2) How stupid is my business card holder idea?

3) Any other suggestions on how to keep the CPL with the gun without keeping it in my money clip?
    I carry my permit in my wallet with all my other required forms of ID.

1. In FL we don't have to inform the officer. Since I travel to states that do require informing the officer, personally I would inform the officer of where the weapon is and where the permit is, if he asks.

2. It's a viable option, and one I hadn't thought of.

3. ID holder that goes around the neck?

I made a copy of my CCW and keep it with registration/ins card in my visor of my primary vehicle. The origional is behind my DL in my wallet for when I'm not in the vehicle.
    I suggest you carry everyday, and make that the norm. Don't think to much about the permit being seen, nobody cares what you have unless it's a big roll of dough.
    As far as presentation to an officer when stopped in a vehicle - I pull over safely, roll window down 10 inches, cut engine, and keep hands on the steering wheel and wait. Most LEO's would like to be in charge of the conversation, it's best to let them direct the situation. This has worked for me, JMO

Laminate it and put it with your Drivers license...LEOs will get mad if you inform them and its not on you...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Just like LEO’s have to make adjustment so they can carry a badge and an “id” card, CCL holders have the same responsibility to make sure they carry their “CCL” in a quick presentable faction.

Glued to the back of a holster is NOT an option. In most states you’re required to notify an LEO when stopped, and having to get your pistol off to get it off your holster is only asking for trouble.

I have a very small wallet that has a money clip in the middle with a picture frame. My CCL is right behind my driver license in the picture frame so if I have to hand an LEO my driver’s license the CCL is then in the window.

Anytime I leave the house, I’m armed so not having my “CCL” is not an option.

VIP Member
    Is your CPL the same size as your DL? What about keeping both in one of those protective sleeves the bank gives you for your credit/debit cards. It would not be visible and you would always have it with your DL, in your money clip.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I have a very small wallet that has a money clip in the middle with a picture frame. My CCL is right behind my driver license in the picture frame so if I have to hand an LEO my driver’s license the CCL is then in the window.
    I think this is the right solution for me. I found some nice looking ones online in just a few minutes of searching.

thanks,

I carry my CHL in my wallet, in one of the spots meant for Credit Cards. It is easy to grab, and only gets taken out on Traffic Stops.

I imagine that if I used a money clip/clamp, I would carry it underneath my Driver's License and keep it oriented face down. That way if I had to give someone my DL as an ID, all that they would see is the back and have no idea what it is.

I think the biggest thing to remember, is that no one really cares or notices your ID cards when you are at a register. Just don't go flashing your CHL/CCW around, and I am sure you will be fine.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links