Got pulled over today, handed Lic an CCW to officer.

This is a discussion on Got pulled over today, handed Lic an CCW to officer. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Coming home the RR crossing guards are down and red lights are flashing. A truck goes around the arms, I pull up to the crossing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got pulled over today, handed Lic an CCW to officer.

Coming home the RR crossing guards are down and red lights are flashing. A truck goes around the arms, I pull up to the crossing arms and the train is over 600 yards away. I cross the tracks and look in the rear view mirror and an officers car crosses the tracks too. I get to the stop sign and trun right to head home. I look in the mirror and the red and blues are flashing. I pull over, place my hands on the steering wheel and the officer cautiously comes to the rear of the drivers door. He asks for my lic. I hand him my lic and CCW. He looks at the CCw and asks why do you have a CCW? I stated that I applied for a CCW to have the ability to protect my family and myself. He said OK. Told me he pulled me over for the crossing guard violation. I explained that the crossing guard are known to go down and no train will be anywhere around. We talked for a bit, he gave me my lic and CCW. Talked a bit more and parted our ways.

Nice officer, very professional.
    Keep your powder dry

Good answer.
    John VanDusen

"Whether it's a football game or an IED attack, you play EXACTLY how your practice."

"Put your trust in God, and keep your powder dry." ~Oliver Cromwell

DUDE ! NEVER CROSS RR Tracks with a Down Gate and / or Lights Flashing!

Never Ever! Take a Pop can and drive over it with your car. That's about what happens to your car when the TRAIN HITS IT!

All RR Xings had a sign with a phone number you can call when they malfunction. Call It. They can tell if it's a malfunction or if a train is near.

No ticket?
    Your lucky day, go buy a lottery ticket...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    DUDE ! NEVER CROSS RR Tracks with a Down Gate and / or Lights Flashing!

Never Ever! Take a Pop can and drive over it with your car. That's about what happens to your car when the TRAIN HITS IT!

All RR Xings had a sign with a phone number you can call when they malfunction. Call It. They can tell if it's a malfunction or if a train is near.
    So if a RR signaling device is malfunctioning and are down when no train is approaching, how long do you wait before you go around them and cross?? Are you supposed to wait an entire day while you call that phone number and wait on the road for the maintenance crew to get there?

I can understand if their is a blind turn and you can't see if a train is coming this might be a factor . . . but on a straight ahead track with no visual obstructions, you got to do what you got to do.

To the OP, well done on the stop. Respect and courtesy always go a long way.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotbrass View Post
    He looks at the CCW and asks why do you have a CCW?
    I know, it's probably just me but... that question really ticks me off!

Maybe I need to take up Yoga or something?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Just what is the point of asking "Why do you have a CCW"?

I can think of many answers, none of which would have gotten me out of a ticket...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Coming up I was "the" smartarse. Being older and wiser, I know when and where to bite my tongue. I don`t look for trouble and don`t want any. When asked about the CCW, I hesitated. For a micro second I thought of saying something else. But why? I gave the answerr that I put on my app. It turned out good, I did not get a ticket.
    Keep your powder dry

He looks at the CCW and asks why do you have a CCW?
    That question would have definitely got me bent out of shape.
    I dont mind being ticketed if Ive done wrong and I certainly want to be cooperative with LEOs in every possible way, but its frankly none of their business 'why' I have a CHL.
    I am a law abiding citizen who has followed the letter of the law to attain a CHL I am lawfully allowed to have....it doesnt matter to any LEO 'why' I have it. HIS job is to ENFORCE the law as it is written.

What next...are they going to ask why we have a drivers license ????

Then you would have received a ticket for crossing the tracks.

I wonder: How long the LEO would have waited behind you had you NOT crossed the tracks? I've not seen a lot of patience among the LEO community.

sounds like it was a quick straight forward stop....but i agree with getting bent out of shape when he asked you why.... it's like really...do i even need to bring up 1 of the million responses to this. o well.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Retsupt is right.....need to buy a lottery ticket
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    Just what is the point of asking "Why do you have a CCW"?

I can think of many answers, none of which would have gotten me out of a ticket...
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    I dont mind being ticketed if Ive done wrong and I certainly want to be cooperative with LEOs in every possible way, but its frankly none of their business 'why' I have a CHL.
    I am a law abiding citizen who has followed the letter of the law to attain a CHL I am lawfully allowed to have....it doesnt matter to any LEO 'why' I have it. HIS job is to ENFORCE the law as it is written.

What next...are they going to ask why we have a drivers license ????
    Its a fair question, no need to get worked up over it.

I'll ask sometimes, sometimes not. I got an answer from a guy once that I wasnt expecting; He was driving a van full of prescription medication delivering to Dr. offices and hospitals in the area. As an LEO, thats good to know. He drove the same route at the same times a few days a week. That question opened up a good conversation with the man, I left with a bit of an education as did he.

I also had a lady who lived in a neighborhood I patrol tell me she got a CCW because she had threats from an ex boyfriend and she feared for her life... again, she probably would not have told me that unless I asked why she had a permit, and that was good to know. She left the stop knowing that I would keep an extra eye on her home, and I had some good info that might save my or another officers life when we get a call to that house. I even hooked her up with some free range time. ( she complained that range time was to expensive)

Most of the time though, they just say its for general protection, no specific threat. Sometimes they say something to the effect "would you go here with out your gun?" And thats cool with me. I asked a fair question and got a fair answer. There is no reason to get worked up over something as little as a simple question.

I had a contractor tell me once that he just liked to play cops and robbers. ( he was joking around with me) Obviously a cool guy that made me laugh, I cut him loose too.
    So, sometimes LEO's dont ask questions just to piss you off. Sometimes asking a simplistic question opens the door for some good dialogue. And good dialogue is the best tool you have to avoid a ticket.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Good use of self control for a good outcome. Sixto's right. How many times has a spouse asked what you think is a dumb question. For me to hold my tounge, I need meditation or medication (I get them confused)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    How many times has a spouse asked what you think is a dumb question.
    Like, "Does this make me look fat?"
    Cloudpeak

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links