Do any women carry like this?

This is a discussion on Do any women carry like this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hadnt thought of this initially and always 'dressing to conceal' seemed a bit unreasonable for me....but purse carry definitely has some drawbacks too. Do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I hadnt thought of this initially and always 'dressing to conceal' seemed a bit unreasonable for me....but purse carry definitely has some drawbacks too.

Do any women carry on their person, and then when they arrive somewhere, or want to be comfortable, just go into the ladies room and put their handgun in their purse?

3 seasons of the yr, I do pretty much dress in a way that I could conceal, at least with a vest or jacket. But sitting, moving around alot, arriving somewhere and socializing with jacket off.....less than ideal.

Do any women to this? It's starting to look like an attractive option for me.

Purse

My mom and two aunts purse carry all the time. The only potential issue I cant think of would be if someone sneaked up and snatched your purse.

Alex!

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying in a purse for a few reasons:
    1. Mentioned already by Alex
    2. If the purpose of doing so is to leave the purse on the floor/chair etc., unattended - the handgun could be picked up by a kid or anyone. I wouldn't want a loaded weapon unattended to fall into the wrong hands.
    3. If I needed the handgun for self-defense....Murphy's law, the purse wouldn't be with me. And if the purse was with me, in a self-defense situation a person loses all fine motor control - therefore actually getting the purse open and getting to the handgun would be difficult and time consuming.
    Just my 2 cents
    "They are ready for someone....but they're not ready for us!" Jonas Blane

"When you pull on that jersey, the name on the front is a hell of alot more important than the one on the back." Herb Brooks

Well what I'm saying is to do both...carry on your person, IWB, OWB, or other, while in transit or while walking around....and THEN put it in your purse (special section or holster of course) when you get somewhere...to be more comfortable or because you take off an outer layer.

Smart Carry

Just a thought, have you tried a Smartcarry holster? Its about as concealed and comfortable as you can get and works with pants or skirts. I carry a pretty large pistol dimensionally and it requires no cover garment. I worry about my Mom, she doesnt carry often enough and when she does Im always worried about her not being able to get to it quickly enough.

Alex!

It's been suggested in other threads that a SmartCarry is ideal for pretty much anyone (works under slacks, skirts, even kilts) who wants to carry comfortably and not get "made".

I wear one to work in a suit and it's great.

As to the purse, if you are comfortable with placing the gun in it at the desk or otherwise, then go ahead.

Just make very sure that it is not going to be easy access for ANYONE else.

Men are often the ones who bring up the point of "leaving the purse behind", but as a married man, I have yet to see a woman (my wife as prime example) leave her purse anywhere that is not within about 5 feet from her. Not to mention, I pity the man who tries to take one from a woman who has decided to arm herself...

Just my $0.02...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Nope, no off body carry for me, ever. I just don't feel my firearm is secure enough.
    98% of the time I carry OWB, 1% IWB and 1% in a Smart Carry if I'm lounging around in sweats and not wearing a belt.
    I dress casually, jeans and a T-shirt or sweatshirt, which fits my lifestyle and I've never had to really dress around the gun(any of them) with the exception of watching the length of my cover shirt. I've had a total of 2 shirts from my pre-carry days that I don't wear anymore, because they are too short.
    I don't look or feel frumpy, or masculine, and I strongly believe that carrying concealed is worth making a few wardrobe changes if I need to. My safety, and that of others is well worth making the changes.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I have a purse that is made for gun carry. The longer I carry, the less I use that as my main way though. I now carry almost exclusively IWB and use a 380 kel tech. I travel across the state in my job so I also have a 9mm that is holstered to the inside pocket of the car door. I carry a small gun, usually my pt22 in my brief case. When I travel using my Coronado gun purse there is not much chance of leaving it as I carry it cross body style so my hands are free. I would recommend if you purse carry to also use a gun carry purse as it has side zippers pockets that are made exclusively for a gun and you do not have a lot of motor ckills to pull the zipper down to get into the purse and you would not be having to search to find it. They have holsters that actually attach to the sides of the pocket so that the gun stays in the same place, no sliding around. As for your mom. I'd rather that she purse carry than not carry at all.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Safety vs comfort is the same issues men face.

Just like my mother before her my sisters always carry’s a 38 in her purse. And I don’t see a problem with it so long as you remember to always take it with you.

My wife jokingly calls it my murse

When boating, or backcountry riding in the Jeep, I carry a Blackhawk bag that’s about the size of a small lady’s purse. In it I bring along a GPS, Glock, multi tool, extra magazines, cell phone, and my wallet and keys.

My wife's only been carrying for about a year now......

......better late than never!

Early on, she admitted to doing that exact thing a couple of times. Then she found herself forgetting to reverse the process leaving the restaurant, or other destination and ended up purse carrying when she really had no intention to do so. Now she simply commits to carrying on body.

FWIW....
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I strongly believe that carrying concealed is worth making a few wardrobe changes if I need to. My safety, and that of others is well worth making the changes.
    Excellent point!
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

pax
    9MMare,

As a general rule of thumb, the less unnecessary gun handling you do during the day, the less likely you are to experience an unintended discharge or to leave your firearm someplace it doesn't belong. That's one of the reasons I'm such a fan of on-body carry: it dramatically reduces unnecessary gun handling.

That said, I've often worn a firearm to the doctor's office, and then stepped into the bathroom once there to place the gun inside my carry purse. It's not an ideal solution to the scales problem, but it works. I certainly wouldn't want to be doing that every day, everywhere, though.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

VIP Member
    Thigh holster, smartcarry, and belly band should cover most situations sans belt. A shoulder or bra holster should cover most long sitting situations. Of course OWB and IWB are the ideal, if they can be managed (accessorized.)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I know it's not popular on these forums, but I like purse carry. My purse is a crossbody style, so it's not going to be snatched from me while I'm wearing it. (I have a modified Timbuk2 bag. I recommend them! They're not intended for this kind of thing but you wouldn't know it, and the ballistics nylon is super durable)

But I'm also the sort of person who never loses her purse, keys, wallet, etc.

I refuse to dress around my gun. And there are just days where it's easier than others. I like having the fall-back of my purse.

VIP Member
    Purse carry is way better than no carry. Cross shoulder carry, with an anti-cut chain inside the strap, is better. I sometimes worry, when I'm standing at the checkout, how many purses are pointing at me.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links