Transport CCW on airplane??? - Page 2

Transport CCW on airplane???

This is a discussion on Transport CCW on airplane??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Delta out of Melbourne to Atl-Hartsfield. Me: I have a firearm to declare. Agent: Here, fill this out and sign. Place inside the case and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Delta out of Melbourne to Atl-Hartsfield.

Me: I have a firearm to declare.
    Agent: Here, fill this out and sign. Place inside the case and lock.
    Wait here until they screen it.

Took perhaps an extra 5 minutes while I waited on them to give me the okay after screening.

Should be the same out of Atl-Hartsfield tomorrow.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Delta out of Melbourne to Atl-Hartsfield.

Me: I have a firearm to declare.
    Agent: Here, fill this out and sign. Place inside the case and lock.
    Wait here until they screen it.

Took perhaps an extra 5 minutes while I waited on them to give me the okay after screening.

Should be the same out of Atl-Hartsfield tomorrow.
    I think you ripped off my post . . . because that is almost exactly what I typed.

Or it could just be that there are standard procedures with the TSA and every airline, and that flying with a firearm is really no big deal as long as you are educated and prepared.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

Taking Your Pistole Along on a Plane Ride

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Review TSA: Traveling with Special Items to understand TSA policies and procedures. Have a copy with you when you reach the airport.
    2. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys/combination to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    3. Steps that will make it easier to show that the weapon is unloaded - especially when x-rayed.
      • If the weapon is a:
        • semi-automatic
          • lock the slide open
          • put a cable tie through the barrel and out the breach to show that the chamber is empty
        • revolver, flip the cylinder out
      • Do not put the magazines in this locked case with the gun(s):
        • it invites questions about them being loaded
        • if the gun case is "liberated" from the checked bag by a Criminal Entrepreneur, the lack of magazines frustrates the "Liberator", since the weapon is now initially a single shot one
    4. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • To determine if the ammo
        • MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work)
        • can fly in loaded magazines
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines
      • The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose
    5. Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    6. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in.
      • If possible, develop a way to attach - in a lockable way - the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into.
      • The labeling should be limited to:
        • Your Name
        • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
        • Your personal email address - if you have one
        • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    7. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    8. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    9. Make sure you have the keys/combinations to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case:
      • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))
      • if the TSA wants to see
    10. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
      • airline
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us and/or Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner to determine:
      • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops
      • Where and how you can carry at all your stops
      • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by KoB View Post
    Thanks…once again good info!

Ps…called UPS and got the reply "you can only ship/overnight to a FFL", then I searched the DC data base and found old threads about shipping handguns. I think I'm going to drive by the UPS center and talk to a manager. Thanks again!
    Make sure its an actual "center" or one of our hubs. The UPS Stores won't (or shouldn't/aren't allowed) to ship a handgun. The Orlando hub is off Landstreet (near Orlando International Airport), actual address of it is atlantic ave, I know for sure that that hub will ship a handgun as i have done so but it was to Ruger's repair facility. We stop service on next days around 7pm if i remember right so anytime before 6pm and you're good to go. Don't know how far you are from there though profile says orlando. There is a longwood center but i don't know where it is. Good luck :-D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links