How to talk to parents? - Page 2

How to talk to parents?

This is a discussion on How to talk to parents? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My mother has already been anti-gun. Not protester zealot level, but very much against them. She also now happens to work for me in my ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to talk to parents?

My mother has already been anti-gun. Not protester zealot level, but very much against them. She also now happens to work for me in my store. She's pretty good about being a subordinate to her son but the mom in her still comes out sometimes. It took a while getting used to calling her by her first name. Anyways, as crime has gotten bad in the area, I finally told her that I was getting my Georgia firearms license and was going to be CCW and she was less than thrilled. I had my G27 for a couple days before she noticed and she got a little defensive and argumentative.

I sat her down and educated her about the Georgia laws (to the best of my knowledge) and showed it to her and the first thing she said when it was in front of her was, "Cool, can I hold it?" This is the LAST thing I expected to hear come out of her mouth. Now she always asks "Are you packin?" when she wants to work up a bank deposit. Just goes to show you you can never be sure just how someone will react to something.

My folks don't know, and they won't know. They know I've got guns, but not how many or that I carry. They also wouldn't want to know. If I talked with them, they'd feel like I was trying to pick a fight. No reason to make trouble where there isn't any.

My mom doesn't care especially since she has her own gun. It's only a .22 revolver, but it beats nothing. Funny thing was my grandmother told me that just having a gun out made her nervous. This was last weekend and my grandfather, uncle, and myself have hunted and owned guns for decades. Reactions can be funny.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Quote Originally Posted by purwater View Post
    Funny thing was my grandmother told me that just having a gun out made her nervous. This was last weekend and my grandfather, uncle, and myself have hunted and owned guns for decades. Reactions can be funny.
    I get nervous when people have guns out too. Guns should be put away unless they are being used.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

This a great way to practice your concealment techniques...they don't have to know, unless you want them to know.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This can be a very difficult subject with parents. It helps to know beforehand what they think about guns in general.

In my case, my Mom is VERY anti-gun so telling her that I CC is not an option. She believes that the military & police are the only people who should have guns. At 74 years old there is little chance of me changing her mind.

Years ago when I started working armed security my Mom became livid when I brought my S&W revolver into the house. At the time I had just moved to Vegas and was living with my Mom & Dad. I had not located an apartment yet. My Mom made it very clear that she wanted me & my gun out of her house ASAP! She didn't want "that thing" (my gun) in her house for any longer than absolutely necessary.

Again, if you feel you that it's important to tell your parents it would help to know their mindset at the offset. I cannot tell my Mom. She would not understand at all!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    My kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids have never felt my carry when hugging (and we hug a bunch). For that matter neither did my parents when they were alive. Nor people at Church, etc.

The trick is to initiate the hug, yourself, with an over-under hug -- i.e., slide your strong-side arm under their arm on that side and between their arm and waist and your weak side arm over their arm on the other side.

Their arm on your strong side will end up outside your arm and around your upper back, well away from your sidearm.

After some practice, it becomes automatic.

Gives you a little excuse for some extra hugging practice.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sponsor
    I always considered my mother to be the definition of a koolaid drinking sheeple. She surprised me when I told her that I had been carrying every time I had seen her for years. She said "What, do you think I'm stupid?" She knew and agreed with my reasons even if it wasn't what she would do.
    What I am trying to say is... Don't sell your parents short. They're smarter than you want to give them credit for. After all you had to get it from somewhere, right?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    I get nervous when people have guns out too. Guns should be put away unless they are being used.
    I'm talking about for cleaning and even unloaded to show someone. My grandfather was wanting to see my LCP to see if he liked the size. I took it out, dropped the mag, and removed the round from the chamber. Reached it to him to inspect. Then I loaded the gun and put back in my pocket holster. She just surprised me by saying just looking at the gun worried her, like it was gonna jump up from the table and attack.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I carried nearly daily from Feb 6 until April something, but due to having an injury at work, I had to sell my firearm. I went to my fathers daily, spent hours there, our normal routine is to spend most Sat or Sun there so he can seem my children. He never knew I was carrying, and it was an M&P 9c.

I have been carrying daily for the last 3 weeks since I got my new firearm, again, he has no clue. Lastnight I accidently mentioned that I had a firearm, he gave me "you dont need one" and I just told him I have one, its my protection for myself and my children and nobody knows when/if I have it on me. All while having this discussion, it was on my hip.

Point I am making, concealed is concealed. Yes, I do OC, just not around my father. He never knows when I am armed, which is nearly daily.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I'd say, if you think it will cause some strife between you and them, just keep it well concealed and don't tell them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

As a parent myself, you and your wife, as adults, have made a decision to protect yourselves. I wouldn’t flaunt it in front of them, but since you are married and possibly will give them grandchildren at some point.....it really is none of their business.

I would find the most polite, respectful way to say, "mom and Dad, it's none of your business".

Even though I'd still go and pick a switch if my Mother told me to, she knows that she makes the rules in her house, and I make them in mine.

1. Low hug.
    2. Don't tell.
    3. If they do find out and question it negatively, reply that you would have thought they would be proud to know that they have raised a son who is rational enough and strong enough to assume the responsibility of his own, and his family's, security.

Given that they likely won't be supportive, and with the financial overtones, I don't see any reason to tell them about your carry status.

It's not important that they know, and why take the chance of casting a pall over such a rare visit with family.

Were I you, I'd not bother to bring it up...unless in a conversation they voice some indication that they are supportive of armed law-abiding citizens. Otherwise, enjoy the visit and remove the possibility of tension and conflict.

Good luck whatever you decision.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links