How to talk to parents? - Page 4

How to talk to parents?

This is a discussion on How to talk to parents? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by larefugee If you are doing what you believe is right, I don't think you should hide the truth and act like you ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How to talk to parents?

Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    If you are doing what you believe is right, I don't think you should hide the truth and act like you are doing something wrong. I call that "being in the closet". If being a gun owner is part of who you are, why put on a mask and pretend to be someone else in front of them? I say this as someone that has warmed up to open carry for various reasons.
    Well, some things are just private. I don't need to tell people what color underwear I happen to be wearing, or how many times I used the bathroom today. That's part of who I am. :)
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    If they need to know why you carry just Google christianson newsom ....More than enough reason to protect oneself.
    From a parent and grandparent's view, you should do what ever you feel is required to protect yourself and your loved ones. Remind them it is not the duty of the police to protect, only to clean up, investigate the aftermath of violence.
    My son has his carry permit as does his long time lady friend. Make them proud.

oldogy
    I can not agree more. This was the most gruesome, satanic, killings I have ever heard of and it was not far from where I live....
    The animals having captured their victims, raped them repeatedly, hit them, shot them, set them on fire, put their bodies into bags and stuffed them into trash cans.

There, I said it. I described the killings to you. Now, you need to follow the trials of these animals and see what happens. In the meantime,.........don't become a victim.

Knoxville News Sentinel: Local Knoxville, Tennessee News Delivered Throughout the Day.

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    Well, some things are just private. I don't need to tell people what color underwear I happen to be wearing, or how many times I used the bathroom today. That's part of who I am. :)
    Well the main reason I told my parents was safety....because if there was an intruder while they were there, they needed to know what to do.

I told them that in that (or any) scenario, they should identify themselves if asked and stay in their bedroom behind cover I specified, and call 911.

Everything else that went on depended on how they handled that info...and they were very positive!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Funny, my parents never objected or said a bad thought when I started volunteering as an EMT at age 15 or when I did armed security but later when I stopped by Mom's on my way home from buying my last gun she was worried that I'd 'get into trouble' if I had to use it.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

If you are doing what you believe is right, I don't think you should hide the truth and act like you are doing something wrong. I call that "being in the closet". If being a gun owner is part of who you are, why put on a mask and pretend to be someone else in front of them?
    Because in some situations, self-proclaimed autocrats can and will use it to beat presumed serfs about the head, making things very difficult for a person.

Consider how the Fed makes it nearly impossible for states to go their own way via financial enticements that effectively tie a state's future funding to compliance. Essentially, the rules of the game make it a fixed game, to force ultimate obedience. That's exactly how these sorts of questions can go, in which a person's future receipt of service, coverage, a job, avoidance of fines or even imprisonment is predicated on a person toeing the line. Some parents do that sort of thing, dictates as a condition of, say, continued living under the same roof, and similar.

That's why.

Still, if an adult and self-sufficient, you either divulge or not, have a discussion or not, simply not go armed with a firearm for the duration of the visit (or not). You pick one and work through the pros/cons, just like anything else. Depends on the parents and the relationship.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 10th, 2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: clarity
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I suppose if you think they'll give you a hard time, then I would follow the "Don't ask - don't tell" rule . If they should find out; then lay it out for them, plain and maybe not so simple.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links