How Safe is your gun - Page 3

How Safe is your gun

This is a discussion on How Safe is your gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What does this guy have against toilets?...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Safe is your gun

What does this guy have against toilets?
    Each of us has a natural right, from God, to defend his person, his liberty, and his property.

Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by Steve201 View Post
    even my 1911 combat commander has a safety lever on the back of the hand grip and the trigger has a half cock setting
    Besides the grip safety and the thumb safety, the Commander has a F.P. block safety, right? Kinda like a Kahr FPB. BTW, carrying a 1911 at half cock isn't recommended.
    I really don't have any confidence in that Kahr....so...I've convinced the gun shop to trade it in for a Taurus pt145bp
    Uh--OK, then.
    again...not knowing all of the circumstances of the AD in the article...I can only assume that the article is somewhat factual..
    Steve
    From another poster:
    Yes, I think there's much more to the story like, "I was bored and playing with my gun. I accidentally pulled the trigger...sorry".
    I agree. Anyone who owns a Kahr knows that it would take a heck of a "grab" to actuate the trigger to where the pistol would fire. A ND would be much more likely with a M&P, Glock and possibly an XD if the grip safety were depressed. I think the guy was playing with his pistol. After disassembling my CW9 slide, I just can't see how the gun would fire when dropped, especially from a foot or so. If it did, there would be broken parts in the Kahr (and a lawsuit, I'd bet).
    Cloudpeak

If you aren't 100% confident in your weapon, don't carry it. It's as simple as that.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Angry

Muddy and et al
    don't shoot the messenger for discussing something that happened...I just read about it a few weeks ago...I figured Kahr was a good weapon otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it..I just didn't keep a round in the chamber....after reading that story (again..it's the first time I'd seen that incident)....I started rethinking my ownership...as stated before by a few here....if you don't have total confidence in a weapon..it's time to find another weapon....and that's what I've done...as for me me me...well...I really don't get your comment....but it is about me....I own the Kahr...I have shot it...Nice shooting weapon.....and yes...I don't trust the Kahr after that article....do I have any proof...nope..and I've stated that it's a news article....take it for what it's worth...but one needs to be totally confident in a weapon if they are going to carry it...if you like the Kahr and comfortable in using and carrying it...fine..knock yourself out........have a great time....and I sincerely hope it works out for you.......I've expressed my views about that particular weapon....my personal views only....like anything in life...We all know what opinions are like...
    I'm done....
    Steve
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Well for one this is old news. It has been hashed and rehashed. But your hole post is about me, me, me. Where is your evidence that Kahr's safety block doesn't work? Since I own a Kahr CW 40 I followed this closely as well as it happened in Utah. From the general consensus on this, the Utah CC and other boards when this post first came out was that Kahr's drop safety is as good as any others and the guy probably reached for the weapon and pulled the trigger. So where are your facts? We want them and not just your paranoia because you are afraid of something. Yes today's weapons are a lot different then the old six guns where you kept the hammer on an empty chamber.

By the way do you know its bad on a Kahr and could cause a failure to feed buy racking the slide to load the weapon? Recommended procedure is to drop the slide on a round in the mag by using the slide release. Otherwise the extractor could not engage the case rim correctly. Sounds like you need a different weapon.
    Last edited by JD; October 9th, 2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Addressed via PM.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve201 View Post
    Muddy and et al
    don't shoot the messenger for discussing something that happened...I just read about it a few weeks ago...I figured Kahr was a good weapon otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it..I just didn't keep a round in the chamber....after reading that story (again..it's the first time I'd seen that incident)....I started rethinking my ownership...as stated before by a few here....if you don't have total confidence in a weapon..it's time to find another weapon....and that's what I've done...as for me me me...well...I really don't get your comment....but it is about me....I own the Kahr...I have shot it...Nice shooting weapon.....and yes...I don't trust the Kahr after that article....do I have any proof...nope..and I've stated that it's a news article....take it for what it's worth...but one needs to be totally confident in a weapon if they are going to carry it...if you like the Kahr and comfortable in using and carrying it...fine..knock yourself out........have a great time....and I sincerely hope it works out for you.......I've expressed my views about that particular weapon....my personal views only....like anything in life...We all know what opinions are like...
    I'm done....
    Steve
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve, I agree, if you don't trust a particular gun, you shouldn't carry it, period. I won't carry one that I don't feel 100% comfortable or one that I don't shoot well.
    Do let us know what you chose as a replacement and give us a range report when you have time.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Let's not make mountains out of mole hills here. I'm not buying what Mr. Bored Toliet Shooter is selling. And even if I were, this would be the exception not the rule.

People have blowouts and flip their cars, but that doesn't mean I'm going to quit driving my car. My father in law developed a severe shrimp allergy later on in life. I'm not going to quit eating them "just in case". I'd like to found out for sure something is broke before I holler about how it needs fixin. Just my thoughts.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

The DAO trigger is the safety, Well that and your finger of course.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

As a Kahr MK9 owner. The kahr action will not fire without the trigger being pulled. Even with the elite trigger which is slightly lighter the trigger would not engage by being dropped.

This is much more likely a "I just grabbed at the gun as it slipped down my pant leg" kind of discharge. We don't have all of the details.

But, I am fully confident in the safety of m Kahr.

If you pull the trigger the gun will fire. Don't go grabbing for a falling gun! There was another story I heard recently about some guy in a 'club' wearing a gun tucked in his sweat pants. It slipped down and he grabbed it, he shot himself. Better to quickly pick it up and re holster than to risk shooting somebody or yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by porsche4786 View Post
    There was another story I heard recently about some guy in a 'club' wearing a gun tucked in his sweat pants. It slipped down and he grabbed it, he shot himself. Better to quickly pick it up and re holster than to risk shooting somebody or yourself!
    Yeah, I think he was a football player or sometime like that. updated: (Plaxico Burress)

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    By the way do you know its bad on a Kahr and could cause a failure to feed buy racking the slide to load the weapon? Recommended procedure is to drop the slide on a round in the mag by using the slide release. Otherwise the extractor could not engage the case rim correctly. Sounds like you need a different weapon.
    I've been debating this. I was taught on two different firearm classes to lock the slide back, put the magazine in, and then manually pull the slide back and let go to load, but not softly. But the manual for my taurus says to press the slide release to load. I haven't actually read that part in the glock manual yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Yeah, I think he was a football player or sometime like that. updated: (Plaxico Burress)
    Should also wear a holster....tucked between you and sweat pants no matter how tight your sweat pants might be (probably baggy and hanging below his ass though) can't work.

+1 Always in a holster, or in a pocket holster if carried that way.

How safe is my gun? As safe as I want it to be.

I own a PM45....keep a round in the chamber...not one bit concerned about an AD...via dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Yeah that is who my post was referring to. This guy was using a holster, unlike Plaxico. I still can't imagine that the gun went off by being dropped 1' on to the floor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links