Defensive Carry banner

How Safe is your gun

4K views 45 replies 30 participants last post by  alnitak 
#1 ·
a few discussions ago ...some fellow Kahr 40 owners I think didn't believe me that I feel this weapon is unsafe..you can't keep a round in the chamber and expect it not to go off if it's dropped..with that said...I'd like to point out some evidence...
I'd also like to point out that I own a Kahr 40 cw....almost the exact same weapon that went off in a bathroom

here's the article...

Deseret News | Man hurt when gun blasts toilet

please...if you own this weapon....take special care with it..it has no safety lock....a firing pin block is not enough at times...
not trying to inflame anyone ..just pointing out that my personal feelings for this gun leaves me rethinking ownership of mine and I'm in the process of trading it back to the gun shop I bought it from for a tuarus pt145bp....
and don't take this as a personal attack...I'm not in anyway doing that...

Steve

#3 ·
I wonder if he grabbed for the gun...finger...trigger?

A proper holster would have prevented such a mishap...OMO.:ticking:

#6 ·
I wonder if he grabbed for the gun...finger...trigger?
I'll bet that's exactly what happened. The guy was too embarrassed to admit it though. It's easier to blame it on a defective gun, than a defective owner.

Get a good holster, don't go around dropping your guns and everyone should be good to go.

BTW, I agree with RamRod, if you don't feel comfortable with your Kahr, by all means get rid of it for something you will be comfortable with.

#4 ·
WOW :mad:
If your bored you can read some of the comments on that newspapers web page, there are ALOT of real un-informed people posting alot of real dumb*** comments about us "gun nuts" :hand1:

#5 ·
We all do what we have to do. Peace of mind plays an important role here. It's good that anyone posts possible problems with any firearm. We would all like to go home whole at the end of the day or range session, or carry with confidence. Heck...I love my Glocks, and Glocks seem to be the most picked at pistol of any for the possibility of nuking the entire planet with one possible KB. I would never carry a pistol I wasn't extremely confident in or had the possibilities of becoming unsafe due to workmanship or acceptable standards at this day in age. You do what is right and hence you don't need to worry about hurting others feelings or
inflame anyone
. If they are flammable then by all means, we shouldn't add oxygen, and they shouldn't smoke. You may be new here, but fact and fiction, reality and rumors can be rectified in minutes here on the forum. Stick around.

#7 ·
Three out of five of my handguns are revolvers, no safety involved, except the one I depend on no matter what firearm I'm using.
Common sense and safe firearm handling is the best safety there is, and the one that should always be used.:smile:

#12 ·
Most modern revolvers have an internal safety such as a transfer bar which will prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin if the gun is dropped.

But yes, the best safety is having good gun handling skills and quality equipment, which includes the holster.

#8 ·
Has anyone heard of a lawsuit being filed against Kahr? I would think if you could prove dropping it will cause it to fire, you would have a pretty solid case for a big money lawsuit...

#9 ·
The article points out that he had a crappy holster. As an experiment I loaded my Kahr K9 with a primed case and proceeded to drop it repeatedly on the floor...nothing. I then tossed it into the air several times, just short of hitting the ceiling and let it land on the floor....nothing. I picked it up, aimed at a wall and pulled the trigger...BANG.
Yes, I think theres much more to the story like, "I was bored and playing with my gun. I accidently pulled the trigger...sorry".
The Kahr's mechanism is similar to the Glocks and you never hear of them going off "accidently".

#11 ·
Blame the user, not the tool.
Why do you want to take all the fun out of it? :gah:

I think more times than not operator error is the cause of gun malfunctions, this probably is true for most tools.

#13 ·
I have a Springfield XD. Part of the reason I chose this for my first handgun is the additional safety features that keep it from having an AD, but at the same time I don't have to think about flipping the safety off when I draw because they are all automatically engaged when you properly grip and fire the gun.

Having said that, I have great confidence in the quality and safety of the Khar. A friend of mine has a CW9 and I did a lot of reading about them before I chose to get the XD instead. I never recommend dropping your firearm, but more because I respect my sidearm than because I'm concerned about an AD.

#14 ·
When the trigger is pressed, it goes bang. That's the way it's supposed to work, no? :yup:

#15 ·
Guys.
I have owned that Kahr 40 cw for about 6 mos...shot it at the range...but because there is no safety lever....I never felt it was safe to have a round in the chamber...so..my thinking at the time was not to carry a chambered round in it...which meant if confronted..I'd have to take the time to rack a round into the chamber...
now ...since I read that article...it kinda confirmed my suspicion...now..not being the head with this guy and finding out exactly what happened...I have to take it for granted that the weapon accidently discharged when it hit the floor....
I'm not a newbie to weapons...there have been cases where a weapon AD'd...maybe not as common with today's weapons...but long ago's weapons were sometimes susceptable to an occasional AD...

and this is just something to beware of for Kahr owners...the possibility of an AD is there....

Steve

#16 ·
Well Steve, I don't know how I could have an EDC if I was concerned with it's safety. I carry a gun to be safer . . . if there was any chance the make or model I chose to carry didn't have adequate safety features that were reliably proven, I wouldn't carry it.

I am not a gun guy, so I have never touched a Kahr in my life. I have a Glock which consists of a Trigger Safety that when pulled then disables a Firing Pin Safety and a Drop Safety.

Pretty easy for me, keep it in a Holster, no problems. My Glock CANNOT go off unless that trigger is pulled.

I take my EDC into "the office" without hesitation or worry.

I'm not a newbie to weapons...there have been cases where a weapon AD'd...maybe not as common with today's weapons...but long ago's weapons were sometimes susceptable to an occasional AD...
Well I have yet to hear or read a story about a modern firearm that just went off on it's own. All stories I am aware of were either negligence by the user, or it was operator error and they didn't use all of the safety mechanisms the way they were engineered and designed.

Anytime you here of a gun going off unintentionally it is a Negligent Discharge. In today's litigious society, no firearm is manufactured that would just go off on its own.

Get a new firearm that you have confidence in it's safety features, or get more training on Kahr to make sure you are educated and practiced with all of it's components.

So to answer the question . . . "How safe is my gun" . . . it is as safe as the operator who handles it, which in my case is pretty darn safe :wink:

#18 ·
Steve,
If you're not new to weapons and felt that way about external safeties, why did you buy the Kahr, in the first place? Kahr's are no more susceptible to AD's than any other modern handgun. AD's are caused by operator error.

#19 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong. but I believe, like all other quality guns, the Kahrs must pass a drop test. There's just no way to pass a finger on the trigger test, or playing with your pistol on the can test.

#20 ·
There's just no way to pass a finger on the trigger test, or playing with your pistol on the can test.
It passed the individual tests. It couldn't pass the combined test... playing with your pistol, with you finger on the trigger, while your on the can. :rofl:

#23 ·
I hope it works out for you.... Are you concerned about all the problems people post about Taurus pistols being unreliable and having terrible customer service?

#24 ·
One guy drops a gun in a bathroom stall and suddenly you feel all kahrs will fire if dropped,I think the chances of me being robbed and not having the time or ability to chamber a round more likely than a gun going off if dropped,also if you know that could happen you take extra steps like not using a cheap 1 size fits everything holster and make sure your gun doesn't drop

#25 ·
These types of "I just dropped it and it went off ", AD's are a lot like Alien abductions and miracles, there are never any witnesses,natural laws are suspended, and the results are never reproducible under testing . The guy who murdered the poor innocent toilet pulled the trigger ,either playing with the gun or by trying to catch it as it fell. It's the only reasonable explanation , anything else is a bit hard to swallow.

#26 ·
Yup!
An AD is caused by a mechanical failure, or tampering. A ND is caused by not keeping ones Bugger Hook off the Bang Switch.
A gun is a tool, unless it is operated by another tool, it's rare, if not impossible for it to fire on it's own.
As far as toilet habits, I go in do my business, clean up and leave, I don't play with my firearm while answering a nature call. If I feel the urge to fondle my firearms, I either head to the range, or take it down, clean and lubricate it and reassemble.
Firearms are not toys and playing with one on the toilet is simply ignorant.

#27 ·
"I dropped it and it just went off" is another "The dog ate my homework" type of excuse.

Odd, isn't it, how in rigorous testing they can't manage to replicate the event.

#28 ·
I agree that it's probably a cover up, but real world is way more demanding that design testing. Because of cost, you can only test so many scenarios. I used to test car network stuff occasionally and I was much better at breaking things than any of my colleagues. Customers were even better still.

As they say, if you make something idiot proof, they'll just make a better idiot.

#36 ·
Let's not make mountains out of mole hills here. I'm not buying what Mr. Bored Toliet Shooter is selling. And even if I were, this would be the exception not the rule.

People have blowouts and flip their cars, but that doesn't mean I'm going to quit driving my car. My father in law developed a severe shrimp allergy later on in life. I'm not going to quit eating them "just in case". I'd like to found out for sure something is broke before I holler about how it needs fixin. Just my thoughts.

#38 ·
As a Kahr MK9 owner. The kahr action will not fire without the trigger being pulled. Even with the elite trigger which is slightly lighter the trigger would not engage by being dropped.

This is much more likely a "I just grabbed at the gun as it slipped down my pant leg" kind of discharge. We don't have all of the details.

But, I am fully confident in the safety of m Kahr.

#46 ·
As a Kahr MK9 owner. The kahr action will not fire without the trigger being pulled. Even with the elite trigger which is slightly lighter the trigger would not engage by being dropped.

This is much more likely a "I just grabbed at the gun as it slipped down my pant leg" kind of discharge. We don't have all of the details.

But, I am fully confident in the safety of my Kahr.
I agree. Seems to me, Steve, that if I had questions about the risk of a Kahr going off by dropping, I would do the research on the formal tests (like those mentioned above), read the boards for informal tests (again, like those mentioned above), read threads and articles on the subject...and then make a decision. I would NOT make a decision based on a news article with unclear facts. Shame on you!

If you don't have confidence in your gun, don't carry it. But frankly, your post feels like a troll bashing Kahrs without any evidence. You owe it to yourself, and the gun you own, to do your due diligence and fact finding before making a decision.

#39 ·
If you pull the trigger the gun will fire. Don't go grabbing for a falling gun! There was another story I heard recently about some guy in a 'club' wearing a gun tucked in his sweat pants. It slipped down and he grabbed it, he shot himself. Better to quickly pick it up and re holster than to risk shooting somebody or yourself!

#40 ·
There was another story I heard recently about some guy in a 'club' wearing a gun tucked in his sweat pants. It slipped down and he grabbed it, he shot himself. Better to quickly pick it up and re holster than to risk shooting somebody or yourself!
Yeah, I think he was a football player or sometime like that. updated: (Plaxico Burress)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.