How Safe is your gun

This is a discussion on How Safe is your gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; a few discussions ago ...some fellow Kahr 40 owners I think didn't believe me that I feel this weapon is unsafe..you can't keep a round ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Safe is your gun

Talking How Safe is your gun

a few discussions ago ...some fellow Kahr 40 owners I think didn't believe me that I feel this weapon is unsafe..you can't keep a round in the chamber and expect it not to go off if it's dropped..with that said...I'd like to point out some evidence...
    I'd also like to point out that I own a Kahr 40 cw....almost the exact same weapon that went off in a bathroom

here's the article...

Deseret News | Man hurt when gun blasts toilet

please...if you own this weapon....take special care with it..it has no safety lock....a firing pin block is not enough at times...
    not trying to inflame anyone ..just pointing out that my personal feelings for this gun leaves me rethinking ownership of mine and I'm in the process of trading it back to the gun shop I bought it from for a tuarus pt145bp....
    and don't take this as a personal attack...I'm not in anyway doing that...

Steve

2. Remove Ads

<g> How about Kahr owners stop dropping their guns?
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I wonder if he grabbed for the gun...finger...trigger?

A proper holster would have prevented such a mishap...OMO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

WOW
    If your bored you can read some of the comments on that newspapers web page, there are ALOT of real un-informed people posting alot of real dumb*** comments about us "gun nuts"
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

We all do what we have to do. Peace of mind plays an important role here. It's good that anyone posts possible problems with any firearm. We would all like to go home whole at the end of the day or range session, or carry with confidence. Heck...I love my Glocks, and Glocks seem to be the most picked at pistol of any for the possibility of nuking the entire planet with one possible KB. I would never carry a pistol I wasn't extremely confident in or had the possibilities of becoming unsafe due to workmanship or acceptable standards at this day in age. You do what is right and hence you don't need to worry about hurting others feelings or
    inflame anyone
    . If they are flammable then by all means, we shouldn't add oxygen, and they shouldn't smoke. You may be new here, but fact and fiction, reality and rumors can be rectified in minutes here on the forum. Stick around.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I wonder if he grabbed for the gun...finger...trigger?
    I'll bet that's exactly what happened. The guy was too embarrassed to admit it though. It's easier to blame it on a defective gun, than a defective owner.

Get a good holster, don't go around dropping your guns and everyone should be good to go.

BTW, I agree with RamRod, if you don't feel comfortable with your Kahr, by all means get rid of it for something you will be comfortable with.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Three out of five of my handguns are revolvers, no safety involved, except the one I depend on no matter what firearm I'm using.
    Common sense and safe firearm handling is the best safety there is, and the one that should always be used.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Has anyone heard of a lawsuit being filed against Kahr? I would think if you could prove dropping it will cause it to fire, you would have a pretty solid case for a big money lawsuit...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The article points out that he had a crappy holster. As an experiment I loaded my Kahr K9 with a primed case and proceeded to drop it repeatedly on the floor...nothing. I then tossed it into the air several times, just short of hitting the ceiling and let it land on the floor....nothing. I picked it up, aimed at a wall and pulled the trigger...BANG.
    Yes, I think theres much more to the story like, "I was bored and playing with my gun. I accidently pulled the trigger...sorry".
    The Kahr's mechanism is similar to the Glocks and you never hear of them going off "accidently".
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

JD
    Administrator

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-goes-off.html

Regarding Kahr, this article is from January, if Kahrs were that unsafe, we'd be seeing more articles on unintentional discharges...Blame the user, not the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Blame the user, not the tool.
    Why do you want to take all the fun out of it?

I think more times than not operator error is the cause of gun malfunctions, this probably is true for most tools.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Three out of five of my handguns are revolvers, no safety involved, except the one I depend on no matter what firearm I'm using.
    Common sense and safe firearm handling is the best safety there is, and the one that should always be used.
    Most modern revolvers have an internal safety such as a transfer bar which will prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin if the gun is dropped.

But yes, the best safety is having good gun handling skills and quality equipment, which includes the holster.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have a Springfield XD. Part of the reason I chose this for my first handgun is the additional safety features that keep it from having an AD, but at the same time I don't have to think about flipping the safety off when I draw because they are all automatically engaged when you properly grip and fire the gun.

Having said that, I have great confidence in the quality and safety of the Khar. A friend of mine has a CW9 and I did a lot of reading about them before I chose to get the XD instead. I never recommend dropping your firearm, but more because I respect my sidearm than because I'm concerned about an AD.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

When the trigger is pressed, it goes bang. That's the way it's supposed to work, no?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Guys.
    I have owned that Kahr 40 cw for about 6 mos...shot it at the range...but because there is no safety lever....I never felt it was safe to have a round in the chamber...so..my thinking at the time was not to carry a chambered round in it...which meant if confronted..I'd have to take the time to rack a round into the chamber...
    now ...since I read that article...it kinda confirmed my suspicion...now..not being the head with this guy and finding out exactly what happened...I have to take it for granted that the weapon accidently discharged when it hit the floor....
    I'm not a newbie to weapons...there have been cases where a weapon AD'd...maybe not as common with today's weapons...but long ago's weapons were sometimes susceptable to an occasional AD...

and this is just something to beware of for Kahr owners...the possibility of an AD is there....

Steve

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links