What else is needed for edc??? - Page 2

What else is needed for edc???

This is a discussion on What else is needed for edc??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by nova83tx We are all forgetting the most important tool when you step out of the house . . . YOUR BRAIN! . ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by nova83tx View Post
    We are all forgetting the most important tool when you step out of the house . . . YOUR BRAIN!.
    Your wits, as important as your brian

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    You may want to consider switching the folding knife to a fixed blade.

I learned, the hard way, that in a time of need a folder can be a little slow (depending, of course on what kind of folder you have and your practice with said folder).

I like the speed and security of a fixed blade.

Or, better yet, carry one of each.
    Good idea, but what type of fixed blade do you carry? In Texas the blade has to be less than 5.5 inches and sharp only on one side. As I have moved to a smaller pistol for CC (P3AT front pocket holster carry) I am not sure as to how I would carry a fixed blade knife. Ware semi dress no jacket all the time except for cold weather and for church when it moves up to a suit. Just wondering how to make it work for me and keep it concealed.

Senior Moderator
    I carry the K-Bar TDI. It fits all of the requirements you mentioned. Less than 5.5 inches, sharp on only one side. The tilted hilt makes it pretty easy to conceal. It's a fairly compact little blade for people who prefer the fixed blades.

The CRKT "Stiff Kiss" is another small fixed blade that meets your requirments. I cord wrapped the handle and it is perfect for me.

It seems liked Concealed Carry is more and more requiring a rucksack to carry all the goodies.

Had a discussion with a friend of mine last weekend. He was talking about carrying three extra mags and a box of ammo in the vehicle.
    When asked why he proceeded to tell me if he is out chasing a BG it may take a while for help to get there. He is a LEO.

I told him my plan was to find the nearest and fastest means of escape, don't plan on chasing anyone.

I carry a CRKT SRT*1, because I cannot carry a gun legally in IL.

I learned, the hard way, that in a time of need a folder can be a little slow (depending, of course on what kind of folder you have and your practice with said folder).

Or even better yet, more than one of each, carried in such a way that you have a couple of options for either hand..

I'm a firm believer in the idea that your defensive weapons should be like shark's teeth. Gun hand trapped? I've got another gun. Can't get to my BUG? I have knives. Knife dropped, or knocked out of my hand? That's OK, I have more.

Distinguished Member
    I just stick with gun and a mag or two.

It seems these days, I'm either in the office or at home. In the office, I try to avoid the Batman utility belt look, and at home, there are flashlights and knives all over the place.

I have been in a few fights in my lifetime, including in particular, the war scenario. However, I have never been in a sword fight. Remember that fixed blade knives of any length are illegal in most jurisdictions. Therefore, if we are going to switch from a folding blade knife, how about switching to a Leatherman or the like. If nothing else, the pliars can become damn useful at times. On the other hand, if you are going to have to stab someone defensively, you might as well shoot them while you are at it.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Here's something to put on your "Cheat Card" if you are ever have to draw and fire.

Massad Ayoob’s Five-Point Checklist

1. Tell responding officers “I’m the victim; he is
    the perpetrator.”
    2. Tell responding officers, “I will sign a complaint.”
    3. Point out pertinent evidence.
    4. Point out any witnesses who saw what happened.
    5. If there is any hint that you are a suspect,
    say “Officer, you will have my full cooperation
    after I have counsel here.”

How common is carrying a 'cheat card'?

Bill
    --- Sig 245, P6, 224
    --- Kahr PM9

I would add some quality handgun training. There are many places to get that. They can teach you things like the color code of awareness, shoot or no shoot scenarios, presentation, reload and malfunction clearance drills, etc.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    I have been in a few fights in my lifetime, including in particular, the war scenario. However, I have never been in a sword fight. Remember that fixed blade knives of any length are illegal in most jurisdictions. Therefore, if we are going to switch from a folding blade knife, how about switching to a Leatherman or the like. If nothing else, the pliars can become damn useful at times. On the other hand, if you are going to have to stab someone defensively, you might as well shoot them while you are at it.
    I'm not sure what the laws are in Texas as I don't live there, but fixed blades are legal here. Can you state your source for information regarding their illegality?

A leatherman is certainly useful. I wouldn't disagree with adding that to a carry list.

Knives do come in handy in firearm retention scenarios. I've been in one myself and that's what spawned my desire to get a fixed blade vs folding blade.

Might want to consider adding pen and paper. A small notepad (Moleskine or similar cahiers are good choices) and a pen/pencil.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

This is my edc

CZ 75 B
    DPMS AR 15
    CZ 453 American

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links