cwp holder, minister, can I carry at work.

This is a discussion on cwp holder, minister, can I carry at work. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S.C. cwp and am a resident. I work at a church and i am a minister. how does the castle doctrine come ...

Thread: cwp holder, minister, can I carry at work.

I have a S.C. cwp and am a resident. I work at a church and i am a minister. how does the castle doctrine come into play. It, if i am rading it right, states that i can have a gun in my place of business. Or does this just mean i do not have to retreat.

You are allowed to openly carry a handgun on your property or at your place of business. There is no "duty to retreat" in SC.

Or you the pastor or one of the staff? In Texas the employer -pastor- -church-, can determine if you can carry as an employee at work. This is a gray area when it comes to ministers because of being in and out of church building, home visits, and hospital visits etc. Or you carrying as a conviction of soul, or as a neat idea? For me it is conviction of soul I carry to protect and defend myself, family, and congregation. A shepherd with out a rod or staff is close to being in the way when a real world wolf or wolf pack come for him, his family, or the congregation he is called to be shepherd over. Many times church people just don't get it, we are trained to think in the spiritual realm which is good, but as spiritual evil grows it manifests itself in the physical. We need revival in out country with out that evil will just keep growing and being acted out by people given over to it.

Just my thoughts, as this has become my convictions,not intending to offend!!!!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Just remember, (in SC) if you are visiting homes they must give you permission to carry in their home and there is no carry in hospitals. Of course in homes if have it concealed deeply they would never know you are carrying. If you are the pastor, you can carry on or in your church property.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    While I can't help with specifics of SC law, I can welcome you to the forum. There are a number of ministers on here and you are a welcomed addition.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I also cannot accurately define SC law.

I just find it a shame when a pastor feels obliged to carry in a church. What has become of our society??

We had a pastor murdered during a service very near to me, (Maryville, IL).

I talked to someone looking for ammo last weekend that told me he was the "Director of Security" at his church and him and 2 others go armed each service.

May the Lord keep us.

carry in home

I have always been confused by the permission to carry in someones home. Do you have to have permission to carry a gun in their home, or just have permission to be in the home?
    Brandon

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The way it was explained in my CWP class, you have to have express(written) permission of the governing body of the church. The governing body of the church can vary from denomination to denomination and church to church. In a Southern Baptist Church, the board of deacons can give such permission. In a methodist church, you might have to go to a national borad or committee. In some churchs the pastor can give permission. It all depends on the structure of the chuch hierachy.

Do you have to have permission to carry a gun in their home, or just have permission to be in the home?
    In SC:

SECTION 23-31-225. Carrying concealed weapons into residences or dwellings.

No person who holds a permit issued pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 may carry a concealable weapon into the residence or dwelling place of another person without the express permission of the owner or person in legal control or possession, as appropriate. A person who violates this provision is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both, at the discretion of the court and have his permit revoked for five years.
    The way it was explained in my CWP class, you have to have express(written) permission of the governing body of the church.
    In SC:

(9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body;

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. As to your question, I would guess there is a board of governors or something similar. They would be the ones who have the yea or nay say in the matter. At least that is my understanding of the law.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Do you folks inform about your ccw when you go into someone's home? Just curious.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Check here for your answers...see the two maps in the upper left of the site.
    http://www.usacarry.com/

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links