I work at a gun friendly place.

This is a discussion on I work at a gun friendly place. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see a lot of posts about gun problems at work. A few years back, the owners wanted to ban us from keeping handguns in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I work at a gun friendly place.

I work at a gun friendly place.

I see a lot of posts about gun problems at work. A few years back, the owners wanted to ban us from keeping handguns in company vehicles, when this came up in a meeting, about half of us stood up to leave. I work in a very specialized field, and people take many years to train. So, they changed positions on the spot. Don't ask, don't tell was the new policy. :) I think that the "statement" was initially made for litigation purposes more than for anything else.

Well, these days, everyone in the office is a firearms enthuseast. Everyone. A few weeks ago, I was being told about the CEO's new Beretta. I went in, set my case down, and he showed it around, there were 3 of us in there. He was really proud of it. A new 45. He saw the S&W logo, asked what I had in there. I let him unzip it, and he pulled out my 500 Mag, Performance Center. It is probably the biggest pistol that any of us there had ever seen.

In a couple of minutes, all the guys, 6 were in there salivating over it. I offered to let a few take and shoot it. One of the salesmen has it now. The boss loved it. He needed some 45's, I pulled my spare clip out and dumped 10 out for him from my Glock 30, in a Smartcarry. I keep the spare mag in my front pocket. It was business as usual.

Really, I am fortunate. That I know of, only one of the owners is not an avid gun owner, but, he is a retired Lt. Colonel, so you can be sure that he has nothing against guns. They are just not his bag.

We go to the range from time to time. Now, these people are all educated, engineers. They all hold good jobs, in the corporate world. You just don't find people like that every day.

So, anybody else have a good work atmosphere like that?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I teach in a public school. You make me sick....
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I don't know what you do for a living, but you are very lucky to have emloyment at such a gun 'friendly' place.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Can I come to work there?

Our company policy is: No guns, No weapons, Even the talk can get you fired.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

While we have sensible firearms policy, we have another sensible policy, no workplace threats of violence are tolerated.

The day after I got my 442 I was talking to the boss about it. He took me out to his truck and showed me his performance center.357. Anyone in our company that has a CWP can get express permission, as the law states, from the owners to carry at work. He is a big 2a advocate. The owner has a lot of different guns and loves to talk about them.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

My firewall at work does NOT block the DC website. That's about the best I got.
    Last edited by JD; October 9th, 2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Addressed via PM.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

There is a no weapons policy where I work. However, my boss and the other mangers in the building go shooting together. In spite of the policy, when unfortunate controversial things have to happen, we are usually pretty comfortable with our self defense capability.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Happy for ya. Can't carry on military installations, so my guns stay at home when I go to work.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I work in the defense industry and I could never carry or have anything in my vehicle on company premises. I am jealous.

I work at a school, we can not carry but I still talk about it to the kids.

I'm a 6th grade teacher....so no CC.

BUT...... I did talk my boss into letting me teach Hunter Safety (I'm a certified instructor) to the 6th graders, so I do get to bring guns in for the first 9 weeks of school. :)
    John VanDusen

"Whether it's a football game or an IED attack, you play EXACTLY how your practice."

"Put your trust in God, and keep your powder dry." ~Oliver Cromwell

Quote Originally Posted by jp3276 View Post
    The day after I got my 442 I was talking to the boss about it. He took me out to his truck and showed me his performance center.357. Anyone in our company that has a CWP can get express permission, as the law states, from the owners to carry at work. He is a big 2a advocate. The owner has a lot of different guns and loves to talk about them.
    Did the topic of additional insurance come up? I wonder if business owners get penalized for allowing employees to carry firearms on the property? Or if they need to even acknowlege such a policy?

No explicit policy at work. IF the boss did make policy, it would be Anti-Gun. However, since it is NOT policy, I carry daily.

Also, the Former office manager (she moved) and her husband were looking into getting their CCWs and the other 2 guys that work there are also looking into getting theirs. They are both in college, so the finances are an issue for them.

Considering that is all the employees (3 of us plus the boss and his wife), it's a pretty gun friendly place. In fact, I stopped at Walmart while out on a job and bought 2 boxes of 9mm. Showed them to one of my coworkers when I got back to the office.

The only thing that would make me happier is approval from the boss.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

VIP Member
    I work at a gun friendly place too, here are the rules:

1. The boss (me) requires the employee (me) to carry a gun concealed as much as possible. Open carry and vehicle carry is alright too.

2. The boss (me) financially encourages the employee (me) to purchase needed firearms, ammo, etc, despite the grumbling by the secretary (bosses wife) that gun purchases are missed opportunity for jewelry purchases.

3. The boss (me) doesn't mind if the employee (me) cleans a gun, reads a gun magazine, or fire's a gun on the bosses property during working hours.

DISCLAIMER- The grumbling secretary isn't nearly as bad as depicted above, actually she's bought me two guns in the last two birthdays.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links