Question for the Single Guys....and Gals - Page 2

Question for the Single Guys....and Gals

This is a discussion on Question for the Single Guys....and Gals within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I'm no longer single, but when I was.... I would ankle carry until I chose to bring up the subject, so I wouldn't be ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for the Single Guys....and Gals

VIP Member
    Well, I'm no longer single, but when I was....

I would ankle carry until I chose to bring up the subject, so I wouldn't be put on the spot if I was "made." It's easy for a guy to feel up my gun if he puts his arm around me.

And I wanted do my best to control how and when I discussed the CCW thing - I had a better chance of things going "my way."

Usually subjects like favorite hobbies come up on first dates, so I'd mention guns. I would say I have firearms for sport, hunting and defense, but I'd leave out the part about me actually carrying a gun on me, mainly not to spook the other person, and for personal safety reasons. I'd get a bearing on how the other person feels about guns before I went any further. If he was receptive, or better yet, a gunnie, and I felt like we were "clicking," then I'd tell him more as the dating continued.

If the person was against me carrying, well.... that was a sign to move on. At least I'd find out before I fell head over heels with a schmuck.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

1952 - 2006
    Nicely said Betty.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Just say "Because I love you and care about you and always want to be able to protect you." Oh GOD, I said that with a straight face!!!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

If she is agreeable to your reasons to carry see her again and pick up the check for dinner.

If not, have the waitstaff split the check and call it a night.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I myself am never in a rush to talk about firearms/hunting/ccw with anyone, much less a girl that I’m on a date with. I don’t want people to think I’m a "crazy gun nut".
    Like Betty I wait until the subject of hobbies comes up. Even then I take it slow. I tell them "I like to shoot firearms" or something like that. If that doesn’t make them nervous I will move a step further as time passes, and so on.
    Wait a second I do basically the same as Betty did!(sorry Betty I just re-read your post. )
    I would ankle carry until I chose to bring up the subject, so I wouldn't be put on the spot if I was "made." It's easy for a guy to feel up my gun if he puts his arm around me.
    That’s a great Idea! Thanks . Plus if it is a "one night stand" situation I can just excuse myself to the bathroom to unstrap my holster.

On the other hand, my ex-GF wasn’t big on CCW much. But I did help put things into perspective for her. Several dates/GF's I told outright, cause I could sense that it wouldn’t be an issue for them.

VIP Member
    Oh, and one other thing -

I'd gently break it in baby steps on how many guns you have if you have a lot. I think I did that with my husband.

"Just a few."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Oh, and one other thing -

I'd gently break it in baby steps on how many guns you have if you have a lot. I think I did that with my husband.

"Just a few."
    Anything less than 500 is a few - Right?
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

1952 - 2006
    My usual response to "How many guns do you have?" is; "More than I need, but not as many as I'd like."
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

My X was a extremely anti-gun person! She saw the light as I pointed out a few bad scenarios to her in relation to my work. So, I think the best reply is ignorance is prejudice no matter what the subject. You must bring good, common sense replies to the table and hopefully the point will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    Anything less than 500 is a few - Right?
    I thought a "few" was less than 1,000?

Actually - can't help on dating - but the advice above, from a fella married 30+ years - is very sound!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I would simply explain that: Just like Smokey, Yogi, and BooBoo, "I have the right to bear arms.
    john

This came up recently for me, I started seeing a girl in one of my classes at college. My case was a bit unique though, because we met by talking about hunting and football while waiting to see the professor about a mid-term project. She's even more into hunting than I am and most definitely politically incorrect, which is why I decided to ask her out. Long story short, our second date was at the pistol range and I carried there. Her response to me carrying was pretty low-key, it's not a big deal either way to her. So basically my approach to this problem is not to date . It does make for slim pickings, but the quality of their company makes up for it.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

My gf didnt like to shoot guns because they scared her. I convinced her to go to the range with me a rented a ruger mark 3 for her. She tried hard the whole time to pretend she hated it but i could see her smiling alot. Shes actually a pretty good shot. For some reason she thought it was pretty fun to shoot the crotch out of our target. Better not make her mad. Finally convinced her to shoot my beretta 70s(.380) and she was amazed. She said it was louder but not nearly as scarry as she thought. She still prefers the .22 and i'd like to convince her to get a ccw and carry at least .22 derringer revolver loaded with snake shot. For now i need her to get to the range more often. Lucky for me she is not a anti. She has no problems with me carrying, so I think i'll keep her. Opps i called her girlfriend, shes actually my fiance'(force of habbit)
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

VIP Member
    I tell women I date that I carry a firearm to ensure the safety of my children, loved ones and self....and if we keep dating, her (whoever she is at the time).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

In the 'hobbies' conversation, bring up 'target practice' and see what kind of reaction I get. Just to be safe, even if favorable or neutral at best, I'd put off the CCW for a time.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links