Got made at work today... surprising reactions from all.

This is a discussion on Got made at work today... surprising reactions from all. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I work as an aircraft mechanic. Right now I do the maintenance for a flight school in South Florida and at about 4pm we ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got made at work today... surprising reactions from all.

Got made at work today... surprising reactions from all.

Well, I work as an aircraft mechanic. Right now I do the maintenance for a flight school in South Florida and at about 4pm we get a call that one of the flights that went on a cross country has issues. I called the pilot up to find out what happened and apparently the starter motor grenaded (case blew out and pieces were everywhere.)
    They were safe and it happened when they went to start up their Cessna 172. So we looked in our inventory and had a replacement starter and the boss made the decision to send one of us up to the airport. The owner of the flight school actually made the call to fly us up (which is a rare thing). So I got asked if I wanted to go, and I said yes.
    I gathered my tools (and holstered my Glock 23) and hopped in a flight up to the other airport. By the time we landed it was getting dark so I got right to work while I could see. It only took a few minutes to change out the starter, but putting the cowl back on took about 30 minutes due to pain in the butt hardware. At this time it was night and getting really dark where we were parked.
    All 4 of the pilots there are from Norway and have served mandatory military terms. They were discussing a friends S&W and I chimed in when asked a question. Well, as soon as I turned off my flashlight, one of them asked why my belt was glowing green. I then realized that my Meprolight sights were shining brighter than hell thru my work shirt. One of them asked what kind of gun it was, and the others guessed. They must know me better than I think because they all guess Glock.

We took off into some bumpy weather and discussed military training and weapons, and agreed to go to the range soon. I asked them not to spread the word that I carried (even though she is locked up while at work.) They had no problem with it and understand the Concealed is concealed idea.

When we landed, I debriefed my boss who waited up for me and we closed up shop. On the way thru the dark hangar with only my flashlight leading the way...he chimed in... "Your baby is glowing thru your shirt...."

Its good to have a good boss...
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

2. Remove Ads

Some folks "print." Those of us with night sights might want to consider the "glow" factor. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That's actually pretty funny. I'm glad that it worked out ok , it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Cool story...nice to be with people who don't 'freak out' at the mention of a gun, not to mentions a gun-friendly work environment. Thanks for sharing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

VIP Member
    Now I'm going to have to do a "glow check."
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Went through USAF pilot training 14 years ago with several Norwegians. Good guys all...not surprised at the reactions you got.

Not to hijack the thread but since I have no experience with night sights I have a question.

Has anyone who wears glasses ever looked into a mirror while in a darkened room to see how bright the reflection from the sights would be?

bosco

Your Glock is just like another tool multi tool in the toll box. It can be used for protection and a flash light.

Never throught of the glow part.

Thanks

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Funny story, thanks for sharing!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    thanks for sharing
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Note to self: Comtinue to wear heavy cover shirts at night...

*whew* Good thing it turned out well! Lesson learned.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

That's just ONE reason why I never put night sights on a handgun (or any weapon for that matter). Another reason is that when it's THAT dark, you're going to be point-shooting anyway.

If it's that noticeable through a shirt, imagine how a BG can see you in the dark if he is beside or behind you and you don't know exactly where he is.

Personally, I think night sights are one of the biggest marketing ploys ever foisted upon the handgun public. Just my humble opinion after a VERY scary night one time long ago as an MP.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm10mmamen View Post
    That's just ONE reason why I never put night sights on a handgun (or any weapon for that matter). Another reason is that when it's THAT dark, you're going to be point-shooting anyway.

If it's that noticeable through a shirt, imagine how a BG can see you in the dark if he is beside or behind you and you don't know exactly where he is.

Personally, I think night sights are one of the biggest marketing ploys ever foisted upon the handgun public. Just my humble opinion after a VERY scary night one time long ago as an MP.
    And I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

I wonder how may people with lasers on their guns realize the BG can see the beam emanating from their gun and then know exactly where to shoot back?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links