Defensive Carry banner

Do you ever wonder,

3K views 48 replies 31 participants last post by  Thumper 
#1 ·
about yourself, and/or how others percieve you.
I know I am quite different from most other women my age, and sometimes I think they think I'm out of my mind.
There was a discussion on another gun forum I belong to about introducing women to guns and shooting. The majority or the conversation was pretty much about things like fear of guns in general, fear of recoil, getting dirty, loud sounds, crying, and on it went. It all seemed so foreign to me that I posted my story
" Oh dear, I think there is something wrong with me.
I remember my first time shooting, 1972 at the ripe old age of 12 at Bald Mountain range in Lapeer. Dad started me off with a .22 single shot rifle, fun but boring at the same time. I eyed Mom's .22 Browning Nomad, and decided that looked like a lot more fun. Dad agreed to let me try it, and after 50 rounds I still wanted more bigger fun. There was Dad with the pretty shiny nickel plated Model 36 snubbie, ooh I wanna play with that, it's loud and looks like more fun. I begged, nope, to much recoil, he says, I pouted, too bad he said. Then I got smart and told him I thought I could shoot it better than him., That worked(men can't resist a challenge), he said OK smart-azz show me, and I did. I immediately imformed him that I would be the next owner of that gun, took 37 years but it's mine now.
Fast forward to my early 20's, and a boyfriend who loved hunting. I start with the let's get a handgun thing, and he agrees. now bear in mind I'm dating Mr. Macho so he gets a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum, has it Magnaported and puts a scope on it(remember, he is a hunter). We head over to the range and he loads up his prize, fires it and proceeds to split his forehead open. A quick bandage job and he's ready to go again, crack, right next to the first cut. He decided to let his Dad give it a try, not bad, Dad actually hits the target and doesn't hurt himself. Meanwhile I have been chomping at the bit to try this puppy, and finally my turn comes, 6 shots in a 2" group at 30 yards, and more, and more until all the ammo is gone.
Fast forward again to the mid fourties, married (to a great guy) with a 12 year old, OK she's smart enough and mature enough to have a gun in the home, I'm going to buy hubby his first handgun for Christmas(200. Shopping we go and we find a very gently used Ruger GP-100 with a 6" barrel, priced right and Merry Christmas Honey. He handles it well, I handle it better. Fun always leads to more fun and of course CPL's. That Ruger is a beauty but not so good for carry. Neither is the Ruger MK III that I picked up knowing it would a good starter for the daughter. OK carry guns, we rent a Kimber and fall in love, twins come home with us. Dad remembers I told him I would be the 2nd owner of that Model 36 and finally decides to sell. But still I lust after a .357 of my own, and pick up the 686+ snubbie. Hubby falls for the Stag Arms 2T AR-15, and one day at the fun shop I spot my dream gun, and hey, my birthday is coming up in a week. I drool, I loose control of my leg muscles and must, simply must have that sexy Model 29, blue, 4 inch barrel, and oh my what a sheer joy to shoot.
I am SICK, and happier than a pig in you-know-what.
Nope, I don't want any help:smile:"
Am I the only one like this? I've always been interested in the "masculine" hobbies, fishing, cars, racing, and the like, and shooting was just one more thing that can naturally to me. Sometimes I feel like the only woman in the world that enjoys the things I do, and feel detatched from other ladies, and in the next moment I stop worrying about it, and feel confident and secure and I don't concern myself with it.
What do others here(male and female) think about women with similar views and interests?

See less See more
#42 ·
Women who are "out of their minds", cigar smoking, beer swilling, gun toting, brain-food devouring, martial-arts sporting, refuse-to-be-victim posturing, who aren't afraid to get dirt under their nails...

...are the only reason I get out of bed in the morning.

Tough women rule.

Did I mention that I'm single? :22a:

#43 ·
It's really nice to see the gals posting like this. I'm so weary of the Revlon and L'Oreal ads trying to stereotype and exploit a superficial feminine image. Maybe it's just me, but there's something atractive and adenturous about a woman at the gun counter buying ammo in any caliber that starts with a 4. Of course, RG, you might not get the same admiration on the Latte Lexus Liberal Forum. What do they think, their Armani is bulletproof? I think I speak for all the guys on the forum here when I just shut up and listen. Besides, a long term relationship is a partnership. She does whatever she wants, and I help.

#44 ·
Yes, I've wondered too..

Rugergirl, I've wondered too but also accepted my tastes as "its me".
I was an only kid and described as a "tomboy". I'm about 5 years older than you. I was a track athlete in college (no girls sports in high school offered :rant:) I competed in bodybuilding (amateur-no drugs), weight lifted and got into Tae-Kwon-Do. I am a 6th degree black belt and plan to do this until I can't get on the training floor anymore. I always loved the outdoors but didn't get into guns and hunting until I met my husband (9th degree BB now). We hunt here in Colo. and have gone several times to Africa to hunt there (leopard hunt was the thrill of a lifetime!) I always hung around with the jocks in college and most thought I was gay. Not..just like guy-type stereotypical activities. Its sad that women who like guns, outdoors, hunting, etc are often criticized or seen as unfeminine. Sound like some guys though, actually like the company. :bier:

#45 ·
Some men like "girly" girls and some men like women who enjoy the same things they do,a family that enjoys the same activities will usually stay together

#47 ·
Excellent topic and post Rugergirl. I wish you lived closer to me!

I grew up labeled as a “tomboy” and always seemed to get along better with guys than gals. I just like to do guy stuff - forget shopping (unless it’s cabela’s etc.!), Tupperware parties, comparing outfits, and chick flicks. Let’s go to the range or watch an action movie or football. (It sounds like there are a few of us like that on this board!)

One cool thing is that my husband and I like to do almost all the same things. In fact he asked me a couple months ago: “where do you want to go eat for your bday?” I said, “I don’t care, I just want to go to the range and shoot our AR-15 on my bday!”

I used to worry what others think - but I don’t any more. I just didn’t have much self-confidence….but that has changed:
I’ve got a great family and great friends….they are the only ones that I care what they think. If someone seems to think my hobbies are weird, I just crack a joke about it. That seems to break the ice and opens up a conversation.

#49 ·
WOW! Lookie at all these gun gals! :35:

Guys, I think they may have us surrounded!!! :gah:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.