After you drew... what happened next? - Page 2

After you drew... what happened next?

This is a discussion on After you drew... what happened next? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 2 times I am thinking about, someone else called 911 before I had a chance. Both times I IDed myself as a permit holder, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The 2 times I am thinking about, someone else called 911 before I had a chance. Both times I IDed myself as a permit holder, neither time did the LEO care, he was more interested in the original problem.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

The joys of a hammerless revolver in a coat pocket and a hand innocently in a paper bag.

Quote Originally Posted by jp3276 View Post
    If you ever draw your gun because of a conflict, always report the incident. CWP instructor told the story of a friend who had to pull his weapon when someone assaulted his girlfriend. They did not report the assault and someone across the street saw him pull his gun got his liscense plate number and he was arrested a few days later for brandishing. Took some explaining to get the charges dropped. Always report an incident when you have to draw.

Yep. This is the way I teach it, too. The first guy to call 9-1-1 is the GOOD guy.
    I've called the police on myself when my cover garment blew open with the wind and exposed my pistol. Two ladies at the next isle of gas pumps looked upset so I immediately called 9-1-1 and explained the situation and gave a description of my car, plate number, and direction I would be heading next. Police said "thanks".
    I avoided being the subject of a hot stop on my way home.
    I'm not a zealot about what is legal or not. I'm just practical in the real world.

KG

I have a perfect body. It's in the trunk and starting to stink.

NEVADA CCW INSTRUCTOR/UTAH CCW INSTRUCTOR
    kurt@teamdigit.com www.teamdigit.com

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Well lets see the guy got more aggresive and was saying you wont shoot me on camera as he pointed to the camera at walmart. Thank goodness the police came around the cornerbefore i had 2 pull the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have nothing more to say without my attorney being present.
    LMAO, I'm not sure I do either.

Quote Originally Posted by brobar View Post
    They aren't MY statistics... I said it was an excerpt from the book and then quoted the book which says "according to various academic studies" but doesn't list the studies.
    Ah, Grasshopper, once you use the information, it does become yours!

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by jp3276 View Post
    If you ever draw your gun because of a conflict, always report the incident. CWP instructor told the story of a friend who had to pull his weapon when someone assaulted his girlfriend. They did not report the assault and someone across the street saw him pull his gun got his liscense plate number and he was arrested a few days later for brandishing. Took some explaining to get the charges dropped. Always report an incident when you have to draw.
    This is interesting because it could be a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If you call the police and report you pulled on gun, you've just given the police evidence and you can't be sure it won't be used against you (a criminal attorney will tell you to never talk to the police without representation). On the other hand, if you fail to call the police and the bad guys or a bystander does, that could be used against you.

I'm guessing the best course of action would be to call 9-1-1 and report what the bad guys were doing, but not report that you pulled a gun. But this would be a good question for a self-defense attorney.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Twice I have let the BG`s see that I am armed. Ended the confrontation. No calls made.
    Keep your powder dry

Not sure this reply fits under concealed carry, but recently I did have to draw and display my 38 (at home - the front door). Had an unknown visitor at the front door late on a dark and rainy night. I opened the door to see what the commotion was about. But first I grabbed my handy 38 revolver and held behind my back - out of sight. There was a young man standing outside in the rain and he said he needed to come in and use the phone. I said "NO, you need to get back out on the road and walk down the street to the gas station. Use theirs". Man said he really needed to come inside and he stepped up and grabbed the edge of the door. I jumped back and brought out the 38. I loudly said "get back" "get away from me". The man halted his advance but otherwise showed no concern for the gun in my hand. He continued to talk about being lost and that he needed to come inside. I loudly said " get back out on the road - Now. He wanted to argue with me and failed to leave, holding the corner of the door. He then said he had fallen and hurt himself and needed to come inside. He then wanted me to come outside and show him where the road was. I then had the heavy feeling that this fool was going to force me to shoot. I thought about a warning shot but quickly my mind decided to try one last verbal warning effort.

I then in a flash I dropped down into a combat stance, brought left hand up and grabbed wrist and at at top of my lungs yelled in the best angry Drill Instructor voice I could muster " You better find that (blankety blank) road Reeeaaaal fast". The man just disappeared like a ghost, in a flash he was gone. I was scared. I slowly advanced to the door and looked outside. He was gone. I called my daughter. She called SO. A deputy arrived 30 minutes later and took a report. The officer checked both my vehicles to make sure no one was hiding inside.

Upon reflection, the sight of a gun in my hands did not cause a noticable reaction in intruder. Only the wild eyed yelling I did and taking a combat stance seemed to do the trick.

Now thats crazy!
    I bet your crazy voice snapped him out of the high he was on :)
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

The 1 time I have drawn a weapon was while hunting with a muzzle loader in a public hunting area.

I noticed two guys in a car with IL plates (I'm in MN) parked on an access road near where my stand was. Later, I took a nice doe and while dressing her out was approached by two males, one armed but trying to hide it behind his leg as he walked. They were not dressed for hunting. (Red flag) My ML was leaning about 10ft behind me on a tree (loaded) and my 45 SAA was holstered under my left arm. As they went out of sight behind a deadfall I drew the SAA and held it in my lap aimed where they would come out.
    When they came back in view, they started a story about being broke down (I had watched them run the car to stay warm) and needing help. I tossed my cellphone to the one with the gun (a small revolver) which he dropped trying to catch my phone (thankfully) and raised my SAA from my lap and loudly told them to keep their hands where I could see them. The game warden & a deputy showed up (following up on my earlier call reporting the suspicious vehicle) before I could say or do anything else. The deputy had seen the BG's leave their car.

Long story short, the car was stolen and both BG's had warrants. The revolver turned out to be an Iver Johnson .32S&W, when we dug it out of the snow, and the other BG had a Rossi 38sp in his coat pocket.

Being completely aware of my surroundings paid off that morning! Went home thanking God for looking out for this poor soul once again and that no one was hurt. One thing I can say is I don't EVER want to be in that situation again.

There are a few lessons I have taken from that incident, but I'll leave them for another time.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

The time I remember most happened several years ago on a Saturday night/Sunday morning. A friend and I were returning from an stock car race in the southern part of our state that ended late, and we had a 2 hour drive back to my place. I lived at the end of a 1 mile gravel dead-end road and had a short lane leading to the house. The closest small community was about 7 miles from home and while passing through that village a car pulled out and began tailing us tightly. At 2AM, I didn't like the feel and could see no lights indicating a LEO vehicle. Off the blacktop and onto the gravel and I don't think he was more than 50 yards behind at any point.

The gravel ended and my lane began, and as we pulled up to my house the car was so close you couldn't see the headlights. I had a .357 (legal and licensed) under the seat and picked it up as I stepped from the car, keeping it low and by my side. The driver got out of the other car and I could see a handgun in his right hand. Immediately I drew on him and ordered him not to make another move. I asked why he was now on private property and why he followed me so closely all those miles.

Here he was, armed, and I could see at least two other heads in his car. My mind was racing and I was fully prepared to drop him if he even twitched his hand. He claimed he was with the Sheriff's department and was watching for drug activity in the area. I challenged him immediately, since I knew all members of that department and did not recognize him.

I had no yard light in the area we stood and to say this was tense would be a strong understatement. As I stared at his face, I thought I recognized him from my high school days, and called out the first name of that individual. He responded, so I asked him for a last name, to verify if he knew. He did, and it was him. I still kept him under the gun, since just knowing this guy meant nothing to me at this point -- I hadn't seen him in years and besides, why was he armed and why was he there?

He told me a guy in the backseat had a shotgun trained on me through the windshield, and I told my former lower classmate that was moot, and unless he placed his gun on the car hood and the guy in the backseat lowered his weapon and came out arms up, this situation was about to get worse.

Cutting to the chase, those guys were playing 'sheriff' that evening, and none of the three had any authority from the sheriff or anyone else to do what they were doing. Easily, the driver could have been dead and likely me, too, all because some pretenders were out playing big boy.

Regardless, I thank God I was armed. After they complied with my demands I told them I was calling the sheriff to report this incident. I had them stand by the auto while me friend and I entered my house, telling them they could leave once I was inside -- I never lowered the revolver. Once inside, they left and I made my call, as promised.

Isn't it crazy that these three 'wannabe's' could have brought a tragic ending to several lives, and for what? The sheriff did contact the driver and he was warned about his actions. Interestingly, the driver did go on in later life to become a police officer in a large city and lead a distinguisher career -- one that would never have been, had he pushed the issue that summer evening.

Badlands
    Keep your powder dry and your line wet!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    LMAO, I'm not sure I do either.
    I know I don't.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

The only time I had to draw, the fellow making trouble decided he had pressing business elsewhere. Long before cell phones were popular. Did not need anymore coffee that evening!

Quote Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
    The time I remember most happened several years ago on a Saturday night/Sunday morning...
    Badlands
    Very interesting story. Given that the guy became an apparently decent LEO, I wonder how he looks back at that incident and what learned from it.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links