After you drew... what happened next?

This is a discussion on After you drew... what happened next? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Excerpt from "Thank God I Had A Gun": "...each year at least a couple of million ordinary citizens use firearms in response to criminal attack ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After you drew... what happened next?

Excerpt from "Thank God I Had A Gun":

"...each year at least a couple of million ordinary citizens use firearms in response to criminal attack or threat. In only a very small percentage of cases is the gun actually fired. And in fewer cases still is anyone wounded or killed. So every year a massive number of people expose their guns, brandish them, or point them and successfully discourage an attack. Most of these defensive uses of guns are not reported to police, so they do not appear in police crime statistics and almost never in the media. But they happen and they happen frequently."

So a companion question to the one asked earlier about how many have had to draw... I would like to know out of those of you who have drawn... how many contacted the police after doing so and what was the result? It sounds like several people have had to draw, brandish, what have you... did you report the incident? How did the LEO take you displaying your weapon without the need to fire?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by brobar View Post
    Excerpt from "Thank God I Had A Gun":

"...each year at least a couple of million ordinary citizens use firearms in response to criminal attack or threat. In only a very small percentage of cases is the gun actually fired. And in fewer cases still is anyone wounded or killed. So every year a massive number of people expose their guns, brandish them, or point them and successfully discourage an attack. Most of these defensive uses of guns are not reported to police, so they do not appear in police crime statistics and almost never in the media. But they happen and they happen frequently."

So a companion question to the one asked earlier about how many have had to draw... I would like to know out of those of you who have drawn... how many contacted the police after doing so and what was the result? It sounds like several people have had to draw, brandish, what have you... did you report the incident? How did the LEO take you displaying your weapon without the need to fire?
    Where did you obtain your statistics? Just the article/book or is info provided within the article/book to back up the stats?
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Where did you obtain your statistics? Just the article or is info provided within the article to back up the stats?
    They aren't MY statistics... I said it was an excerpt from the book and then quoted the book which says "according to various academic studies" but doesn't list the studies.

It is in regards to a story about a guy who was readying his firearm in his car when approached by a couple of people after an incident on the freeway... a girl in the car sees him readying his firearm even though he says it was never pointed at either of the guys confronting him... calls the police FIRST and he goes through a couple of years of legal crap before he can clear his name because their stories didn't match and the bad guys got to the cops first. I'm just curious how other people's incidents of drawing or brandishing but never firing turned out.

Maybe pucked up you butt cheeks

I have nothing more to say without my attorney being present.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post

Maybe pucked up you butt cheeks
    I concur. Probably doing laundry.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    After I drew on 2, held them at gunpoint and called the police. One ran, the other was arrested. Police handled it well and treated me with professionalism. I was never restrained, detained, or had my weapon taken.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by brobar View Post

If you ever draw your gun because of a conflict, always report the incident. CWP instructor told the story of a friend who had to pull his weapon when someone assaulted his girlfriend. They did not report the assault and someone across the street saw him pull his gun got his liscense plate number and he was arrested a few days later for brandishing. Took some explaining to get the charges dropped. Always report an incident when you have to draw.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp3276 View Post
    If you ever draw your gun because of a conflict, always report the incident. CWP instructor told the story of a friend who had to pull his weapon when someone assaulted his girlfriend. They did not report the assault and someone across the street saw him pull his gun got his liscense plate number and he was arrested a few days later for brandishing. Took some explaining to get the charges dropped. Always report an incident when you have to draw.
    Very good point and I agree. While I haven't had to draw, if the occasion ever occurs I would absolutely want to make a report. Not only a report, but the first report.
    If somebody were to become aggresive/threatening enough to make me draw, who knows that persons mindset and what kind of (false) report he might make if I didn't call and report the "incident".
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    This can be a sticky situation. If you're alone and you have to draw on a group of thugs or whatever, remember that they have witnesses and you don't. If it's the story of several against yours, that might be a problem. "No, Officer. Buzz, Thrasher, and Mongo were just being nice and showing him their new knives when he freaked out and pulled a gun for no reason!" They have also had time to "coordinate and sychronize" their story by the time law enforcement can talk to them.

So that's something to think about. Personally, I don't think there are any rules carved in stone and you have to assess every scenario.

EDIT: Also take note that the vast majority of people who would cause you to have to pull a gun are people who really don't want to be talking to law enforcement under any circumstances. So....on the one hand, you could report it and possibly save others from being assaulted. On the other hand, in doing so, it becomes their word against yours.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Which is exactly what happened in the original story Springer... since it was the thugs who talked to the cops first and they could describe the gun... the police took their word over the victim's because there were no other witnesses (or so they thought). Prosecution waited till the next year before they decided to file charges against the victim for brandishing... and only months later when defense finally got to hear 911 calls from that day did they just happen to stumble across a 911 call from a bystander who witnessed the thugs throwing sodas, rocks, etc... at the victim and she called in to let 911 know what was going on. If they wouldn't have stumbled across this call... the case probably wouldn't have been dropped and the victim would have been in deep spit! It was his 911 call vs the bad guy's 911 call (his word against theirs) and it just so happened that the bad guys called first. Luckily the next year they found that other 911 caller who described what really happened.

As a matter of course anytime something occurs that could have legal consequences I will, at a minimum, call the dispatcher, identify myself, and explain what happened. These calls are usually always recorded and I also ask that a note be made in the log about my call.
    If something should come up I at least have evidence that I did report it. Looks good for you if you did end up in court.

VIP Member
    Back when I was lean, strong and feeling somewhat invincible, I would draw down on someone and I never worried about any repercussions. There were no cell phones, video surveillance cameras and so fourth. Now that I’m getting up there in age, I do think about consequences. If I were to draw down on someone today, I most certainly would call the police. Damn, even the good guys are targets in court for some hungry attorney in this day and age.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have nothing more to say without my attorney being present.
    Dohhhhhh!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

The first report is the one that gets investigated. I want my report to be the first one.

FWIW, the research quoted sounds a lot like Gary Kleck's or John Lott's research into defensive gun use. Look their stuff up if you want those kind of stats

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links