Defensive Carry banner

Is school's parking lot/drop off area considered a "no carry zone"?

16K views 38 replies 34 participants last post by  phantom1984 
#1 ·
Specifically in FL. The law is pretty clear that carrying or possessing gun on campus is a big no-no. However, if I am dropping off my child at the school's parking lot (in this particular case, the parking lot is outside of fenced area, but clearly belongs to school) -- is it still the same?

Seems pretty silly to have to leave the gun at home whenever I need to drive the kid to school on my way to work ... but that's what I have been doing for now.

#25 ·
Same in Kansas.

#4 ·
In Nevada anywhere on school property is prohibited so when I drop my son off I never leave the street or at most the sidewalk if I have to get out of the car. I can see him go in the gate from the street so I'm good.

Don't some states have 'buffer zones' or something like that? 1,000 feet or whatever. Something to keep in mind as well.

#5 ·
It appears FL does not allow you on school property even to drop off/pick up children. Looks like your only option would be drop them at the sidewalk in front of the school and watch them enter from there.

#6 ·
aag,

Ignore the non-FL answers. They are wrong.

IF you have your CWFL, you may drop off or pick up your child at school, while armed, even if on school property, provided you do not get out of the car. If you do, you will be in violation of the law.

Get Florida Firearms Law, by Jon Gutmacher, and digest it. It will answer a ton of questions about FL law.

#7 ·
You beat me to it Micheal...
This is correct...
If you are armed and do not leave your vehicle, you are good to go, but do not stop and go into the building, leaving a weapon in the car.

#8 ·
In my state it is legal as long as it remains in the car and not brandished

#13 ·
Well you have to look at it this way. If it is concealed and in the car. You are not getting out of the car were is the problem. You shouldn't get made while you are in the car. If you do then you really need to think about how you are carry. If you are the worried about it make your child take the bus or don't bring it with you.

#14 ·
I believe this falls under the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act. No weapon within 1000 feet of a school UNLESS the person has a CCW permit. Then the permitee may be on school property to drop off the child but may not exit the vehicle while armed.

I believe this supercedes any state law however IANAL

#18 ·
I believe this falls under the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act. No weapon within 1000 feet of a school UNLESS the person has a CCW permit. Then the permitee may be on school property to drop off the child but may not exit the vehicle while armed.
Nope, Nope, Nope!

Many states - Connecticut being one of them - prohibit carrying on any part of any school property, no matter what kind of permit you have. That includes driveways, parking lots, sidewalks ... EVERY part of school property. There is no exception for staying inside a vehicle.

The only exception is for LEOs.

I believe this supercedes any state law however IANAL
Nope! Doesn't happen.

#16 ·
You are fine to carry in the car while picking up or dropping off your children if you have a valid Florida CWFL.

Since you're in Florida, let me suggest that you obtain a copy of "Florida Firearms" by Jon Gutmacher ASAP. IMHO, anyone who owns a gun in Florida (and especially anyone who carries a gun) should have this book. Mr. Gutmacher is an avid shooter and lawyer who breaks down the Florida laws in plain English.

Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership BOOK FOR SALE by Author JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.

You can buy it online, or get a copy at some of the local gun shops in the Orlando area.

Matt

#23 ·
Actually it is a little more specific than that by case law (cases already tried in TN). You may carry to drop off or collect students as long as you remain in the car. You may also secure your weapon in your car if you leave the car as you stated. You may not, however carry on your person onto school property if you are out of your car. In TN even LEOs have to be cleared by the building principal to carry a weapon onto the school property, Of course, answering a call for assistance from the school authorities constitutes prior permission.

So, in Tennessee, swing in, drop off/pick up the kids. Just stay in the car! (If you have an HCP)

#27 ·
It's school property so it's out of bounds . No carry ! Put it on after you drop the kids off.Most state laws are very specific when it comes to firearms and school buildings.Don't press your luck it's not worth it.I am from Maine and you
can't bring your piece on or near school property.If you travel a lot please make sure you know the carry laws.I have found Maine's police very knowledgeable and supportive of our carry rights as long as we follow the laws.

#29 ·
I'm fustrated with the laws in Florida. They seem unclear and unrealistic. We have a record number if concealed weapons permits being issued in Florida and some of these laws only make it difficult for the good guy.

Why can't I walk my kid into school while my firearm is locked in my car?

#33 ·
Ya know Oregon is messed up in alot of ways but I'm so glad this isn't one of them... I still got the small adrenaline rush this morning when I dropped my son off at school and had to walk in to the office to check him in. XD45 safely tucked in my MTAC at 3 O'Clock. Fully legal but ya just never know what happens if fate conspires against you.

#35 ·
You can in SC but you MUST disarm before going on school property. The weapon must be stored in a glove box.

From Grassroots website. (Thanks Grassroots)

S. 593 was enacted into law on June 2, 2009, when Gov. Sanford signed the bill.

Bottom line for what S. 593 means to the people of SC:
There is no change in the law for non CWP holders. Non CWP holders will still be committing a felony if they enter upon any school grounds with a firearm in their vehicle or on their person.

For SC CWP holders, they must disarm PRIOR to entering upon any school grounds and store their weapon as described above inside the vehicle. If a CWP holder fails to disarm PRIOR to entering the school grounds, she will be committing a felony. For CWP holders from a reciprocal state, they are still prohibited from entering upon elementary and secondary school grounds under the federal “gun free” school zones law. But, a CWP holder from a reciprocal state will be treated as a SC CWP holder with regards to firearms on college property because the federal law only applies to elementary and secondary schools.

S. 593 was amended to require that the weapon “remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.”

#38 · (Edited)
In Georgia it has to stay in the vehicle. There is a provision that gives exceptions for non-school related business in a school zone. Case in point, here in Augusta, Georgia there is a shooting range directly across the street from a high school.

This Code section shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone; provided, however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.

#39 ·
In Ky. as is in many states you cant carry on school grounds. In my opinion as long as i dont leave my car it is not. I allways take my pistol with me If i have to get out of the car i will put it in the glove box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.