Concealed Carry and Fixed Sights Moving

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry and Fixed Sights Moving within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have a S&W 1911 full size w/ aftermarket Trijicon Night Sights. These are press fit and noticed when I carried, the rear sight moved quite ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry and Fixed Sights Moving

Concealed Carry and Fixed Sights Moving

Have a S&W 1911 full size w/ aftermarket Trijicon Night Sights. These are press fit and noticed when I carried, the rear sight moved quite a bit. I'm taking it in to the shop to have them straightened. I've read to put loctite on the sides and allow it to seep into the bottom.

I will no longer carry this and am looking into a HK USP Compact 45. Will I have this same issue w/ the factory night sights? I've never read this in any concealed forum, do you members experience this w/ your pistols.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

The sights on my Glock could only be moved with a 'jack-hammer'...never had difficulties with them moving.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My G30 has a "screw-in" front sight that comes lose very easily and requires very difficult hand tightening every other day.

Granted, I could get the tool to fix this, but I keep forgetting. Sad, I know.

Try the loctite, carry it normally, then decide...?
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Won't be dissappointed with an HK...I love mine....night sights are great even in light thats a little dim.

Haven't been able to jam my hk usp compact 45....I've tried!! Reasonable size to carry with a little effort in an IWB...Haven't tried OWB though I want to try.

And no, I havent had any trouble with the sights.

Sounds to me like the sights are too small for the dovetail - for whatever reason. A good gunsmith can solve the problem.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Thumbs up Good call Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Sounds to me like the sights are too small for the dovetail - for whatever reason. A good gunsmith can solve the problem.
    Either the sights have a defect or they are the wrong sights for that weapon. I agree with the Major I dought the defect is in the dovetail.
    But get it checked anyway. If that's the only problem with that weapon it's worth fixing.

PS: You can't go wrong with a HK. Good luck Brother...
    American Bulldog, HK USPf.45Tac, HK45,
    HK USPc .45ss, SW-642ct, Sig556

(The Phantom Brigade)
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Never had a problem with factory sights moving. Since your S&W has after market sights, my guess would be they were not properly installed/peened in place.

All great feedback. I probably figure they used Colt 1911 sights (just a guess though). I have a hard enough time finding anything specifically for the S&W 1911. Since its a clone, I figure anything made for the colt will work (my serpa holster being the point). I'm 50/50 using this as an excuse to get the USP, the other 50 because I just really really want it hehe. I've only had my CPL for a week but enjoy the freedom and security it brings when I carry. Love the forum.

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard asianmi18!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

JD
    Administrator
    The S&W has Novak sights, the Colt sights you ordered may not be for that cut.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asianmi18 View Post
    Have a S&W 1911 full size w/ aftermarket Trijicon Night Sights. These are press fit and noticed when I carried, the rear sight moved quite a bit. I'm taking it in to the shop to have them straightened. I've read to put loctite on the sides and allow it to seep into the bottom.
    I will no longer carry this and am looking into a HK USP Compact 45. Will I have this same issue w/ the factory night sights? I've never read this in any concealed forum, do you members experience this w/ your pistols.
    Sounds more like "slip fit" to me.......

Trijicon makes quality products.
    If you paid someone to install those sights DEMAND your money back.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

JD
    Administrator

Do you know the model number of the sight set that you got?

Moving?? Back to front? Left to right/Right to left? Seems strange.

Do you mean they are physically moving or that your shot patterns are moving?

Welcome from Arizona.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Before loctiting make sure you degrease the sights or the loctite may not hold
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links