Conceal Carrying at a Gun Show?

This is a discussion on Conceal Carrying at a Gun Show? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it okay to cc at a gun show just wandering because when you get to the entrance and pay ask if you have any ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conceal Carrying at a Gun Show?

Conceal Carrying at a Gun Show?

Is it okay to cc at a gun show just wandering because when you get to the entrance and pay ask if you have any firearms I always say no! I believe if noone knows you don't have a handgun then you don't need to tell them except for a LEO!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Check Local Laws.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Check Local Laws.
    That, and a lot depends on proper postings around here. The actual property where the gun show is taking place may also be important. I've done both at gun shows.....carry, and turn around.

In most places, private property owners have rights. They can make basically anything a precondition of entry. They could require you to wear knee high stockings and a turban. Not many folks would show but they'd be legal to require it. At the very least, you could get trespassed out -- in some places you could even get charged with trespassing. No idea what IN law is on the subject.

I personally believe in respecting the rights of private property owners. If they don't want me there, I don't want to be there. That's their right, and this is my right. I went to gun shows before I started carrying, but I haven't been to one since. I'll take my business to gun shops that want me there.

If you decide to do it -- just make sure that you won't lose your permit over it. Worth reading the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    In most places, private property owners have rights. They can make basically anything a precondition of entry. They could require you to wear knee high stockings and a turban. Not many folks would show but they'd be legal to require it. At the very least, you could get trespassed out -- in some places you could even get charged with trespassing. No idea what IN law is on the subject.

I personally believe in respecting the rights of private property owners. If they don't want me there, I don't want to be there. That's their right, and this is my right. I went to gun shows before I started carrying, but I haven't been to one since. I'll take my business to gun shops that want me there.

If you decide to do it -- just make sure that you won't lose your permit over it. Worth reading the laws.
    Only at Pakistani gun shows...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Signs mean nothing in FL, but the shows are so poorly done now, it's useless taking the time to go. The only things there are over-priced guns and ammo, and CCW badges. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

each gun show has it's own rules. The Original Fort Worth Gun Show requires all guns to be tied and allows no loose ammo. They specifically announce that this includes concealed carry. This is one of the best run shows I have attended. I work a lot of gun shows is my volunteer work. Maybe that's why I'm always broke.
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

VIP Member
    they are all different

in some places it will depend on who the owner of the property is, etc

I always carried since the signs they put up, either 30.06 or local city ordinance, were not legal since SB501 so I didn't worry about it.

I can understand why they want no guns allowed. Somebody will whip out their pistol to try a holster or let a buddy "see" it, etc...then....BANG
    Unfortunately its happened before.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I can understand why they want no guns allowed. Somebody will whip out their pistol to try a holster or let a buddy "see" it, etc...then....BANG
    Unfortunately its happened before.
    EXACTLY!! I always carry as LEO and show my credentials at the door so they KNOW I'm carrying, but I would NEVER carry the gun I'm wanting to trade....IF I was wanting to trade. It would come empty and locked as they require.....I really don't want to unload a weapon at a gun show.......

So I do see why they require it, however, as stated, you MAY be going against the laws in your state..... check them.... it would suck to lose your license because of that...... MHO
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck47441 View Post
    Is it okay to cc at a gun show just wandering because when you get to the entrance and pay ask if you have any firearms I always say no! I believe if noone knows you don't have a handgun then you don't need to tell them except for a LEO!
    So you usually plan to Intentionally break the rules?

If the show is on private property and the show owner/building owner says
    no carry or lock up your gun you had better do it.

If they find out you lied and have a gun they can have you arrested for
    trespassing.

Every gunshow has on or off-duty LEO in attendance for security . sometimes
    in plainclothes.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I think of them the same way I do those signs at Gander Mountain, in that gun shows signs and door check procedures are more for those who are bring guns in to sell, trade or be worked on, and not so much for the citizen, or LEO who is carrying canceled, and keeps it that way.

If you do carry in a show, make for sure you do not take it out.

But before you do first check your own state laws...

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I do it. I'm not walking in the parking lot of any gunshow unarmed.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Likewise on the last poster.

If you carry to gun shows, which I do, then I don't bring out the carry gun for anything. If I wanted to trade that gun or sell it, I would have it cased and unloaded.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    in michigan the gun show doesent want any loaded firearms in the building the only ones alowed to carry are the sellers
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Easy remedy. Unload gun before going into gunshow. Keep ammo in magazine(s) or speed loader(s) and carry small pair of sidecutters or pliers to remove zip-tie after leaving the show. Enjoy the show.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

CCing at the shows

Our local shows are posted as they are held in a convention-type center... and the ones asking ARE uniformed LEO's.
    I don't go anymore for the same reasons listed previously. For firearms one can make their best deal on the internet and ship it thru our local pawn shop FFL for $25. Anything else can be shipped to your door. For me, gun shows have become exorbitant and impractical unless you're looking for unique items/parts.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links