Heading to OH

This is a discussion on Heading to OH within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to be headed out to OH here within the next month or two sometime to get my Garand thru CMP I will be ...

Thread: Heading to OH

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Heading to OH

I'm going to be headed out to OH here within the next month or two sometime to get my Garand thru CMP

I will be carrying on my non-resident FL CCL. What restrictions should I be aware of while carrying? I plan on staying the night. I see that resturants that serve alcohol are a no-go. Can someone give me a brief low down on the do's and don'ts while CCing/OCing in OH... Can I carry in interstate rest stops? Do 'No gun' signs hold legal water?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Anyone?

Please don't take this as a smart a$$ reply. I'm not an attorney and cannot and do not dispense legal advice. That being said, here's the url for the Concealed Carry Laws booklet for the State of Ohio. 2009 Concealed Carry Laws Booklet

This will have all the information you will need, and is not open to interpretation by those of us who have little or no business giving legal advice.

Hope you enjoy your stay. The CMP program at Camp Perry is impressive. I live about an hour away, and feel very fortunate to have the CMP so close.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Sponsor
    OK,
    Here are some key points...IANAL!
    In the car, carry on you person or secured in glove box(glove box may still need to be locked!) or closed and latched/zippered in a case in plain sight.

You must inform LEO that you are licensed and carrying in the event of a traffic stop.

State run rest stops... In the restroom, OK... in the vending lounge/gift shop/information area, not OK. State owned/operated buildings are off limits unless they are primarily restrooms or parking facilities.

You mentioned establishments that serve alcohol. Any establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on premises.

Signs have legal weight in a private business and there are no requirements of size, shape, wording or placement. Once you are aware of the posting you are trespassing if you do not leave. I am fairly sure that being verbally told of a no guns policy holds the same weight. City, county or municipalities cannot deny carry, with the possible exception of court rooms and police stations (never looked into this).

Schools, colleges/universities = no carry, not sure about churches.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    OK,
    In the car, carry on you person or secured in glove box(glove box may still need to be locked!) or closed and latched/zippered in a case in plain sight.

You must inform LEO that you are licensed and carrying in the event of a traffic stop.

State run rest stops... In the restroom, OK... in the vending lounge/gift shop/information area, not OK. State owned/operated buildings are off limits unless they are primarily restrooms or parking facilities.

You mentioned establishments that serve alcohol. Any establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on premises.

Signs have legal weight in a private business and there are no requirements of size, shape, wording or placement. Once you are aware of the posting you are trespassing if you do not leave. I am fairly sure that being verbally told of a no guns policy holds the same weight. City, county or municipalities cannot deny carry, with the possible exception of court rooms and police stations (never looked into this).

Wow

I'm spoiled in PA. Looks pretty cut and dry though. I plan on driving out, going to CMP, getting my rifle, getting a hotel room, grabbing a bite at a local fast food joint then heading back in the AM.

By 'state run'... I'm assuming you mean regular rest stops along the interstate? What would be considered 'not' state run?

Also you say I'd be trespassing if I don't leave. Does this mean I'm legal otherwise, and would have to be asked to leave if discovered... or does it mean I'm automatically trespassing if I'm discovered?

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Ok, for car carry read this:
    O.R.C. 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle unless one of the following applies:

(a) The loaded handgun is in a holster on the person’s person.

(b) The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

(c) The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or vehicle console or in a case that is locked.

Must notify LEO if you are stopped for a law enforcement purpose.

Rest areas: You can go into the ones that are only a bathroom. If they have a welcome center or visitors center, its a gray area and I would avoid.

You cannot go into any place that serves liquor for on sight consumption. You can go to the Stop N' Rob that sells, because it is not sold for on sight consumption.

Signs hold legal weight. If you go into a posted facility, and you are carrying, if you know its posted when going in, your in violation and can be charged with criminal trespass. The owner does not need to say a word to you, just call the LEO's and its a bad day for you. The sign was your notice you could not be there.

No carry into government buildings. I dont know where the CMP is, if it is ON Camp Perry, I am not sure if you can carry there or not. Call and ask.

Check handgunlaw.us to see if I missed anything.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Ok, for car carry read this:
    O.R.C. 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle unless one of the following applies:

(a) The loaded handgun is in a holster on the personís person.

(b) The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

(c) The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or vehicle console or in a case that is locked.

Must notify LEO if you are stopped for a law enforcement purpose.

Rest areas: You can go into the ones that are only a bathroom. If they have a welcome center or visitors center, its a gray area and I would avoid.

You cannot go into any place that serves liquor for on sight consumption. You can go to the Stop N' Rob that sells, because it is not sold for on sight consumption.

Signs hold legal weight. If you go into a posted facility, and you are carrying, if you know its posted when going in, your in violation and can be charged with criminal trespass. The owner does not need to say a word to you, just call the LEO's and its a bad day for you. The sign was your notice you could not be there.

No carry into government buildings. I dont know where the CMP is, if it is ON Camp Perry, I am not sure if you can carry there or not. Call and ask.

Check handgunlaw.us to see if I missed anything.
    A quick look on Google Earth looks like the actual warehouse is not on post, but I'm not sure. I'll have to look a little deeper

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    A quick look on Google Earth looks like the actual warehouse is not on post, but I'm not sure. I'll have to look a little deeper
    I have never been up to that part of the state, one day I will make it.

Copied this right off the website:
    ADVISORY:
    We do not advise bringing rifles on to the Camp Perry Base when you are visiting the store. There are no pets allowed on Camp Perry Base.

Maybe handguns are ok.

North Store - Camp Perry
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    OK,

100% accurate!!! +1 partner!

You can carry in all rest areas. That has changed, and not just the bathroom area. Most signs have been removed by the Ohio DOT. OFCC has worked very hard with Ohio DOT in removing all the "gun buster" signs in Ohio Rest areas. If there is any alcohol being consumed it's a no no, but I don't know of any rest areas with liquor permits.
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

Yup! OFCC is a great site for Ohioians!!!

Links