Cops at the door

Cops at the door

This is a discussion on Cops at the door within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This isn't so much a "what would you do in this scenario" thread. I played poker last night and got home around 1:30am. Got home, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Cops at the door

This isn't so much a "what would you do in this scenario" thread. I played poker last night and got home around 1:30am. Got home, turned on the TV, took my jeans off in the living room and layed down on the couch to watch a show. I was tired, turned off the TV, and passed out.

Around 3:30am, I hear knocking on my door and it wakes me up. I don't care what anyone needs at 3:30, so I went back to sleep. The knocking continues, then I hear talking and someone walking around to my window. I still don't care what they want, but I pull my jeans over so my gun is handy in case something happens.

Again, knocking at the door. I still ignore it, but it continues. I figure they aren't going to give up, so I throw on my jeans and walk to the door. I've got my gun in the holster and turned away, and I decide to look through the peep hole first. It looks like a security guard, or a cop. Playing it safe, I set the gun on a shelf out of view but within arms reach. I've heard of people dressing as cops to gain entry to someone's house, and I know I haven't done or witnessed anything wrong.

I open the door a crack, and he explains the people above me had complained about hearing explosions on my stereo and other loud noise. I told him the TV had been on for about a half hour, but that was hours ago. He left without incident.

Anyway, to the point...is it going to be trouble if you answer the door and it's a cop, and you have a gun openly carried on your person? If you have it hidden but in your hand, is that going to get you shot? Not really sure of the protocol for this...
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    In Texas? Lol. No worries man. (Assuming you're on your own property, you can open or conceal carry w/o a permit.) Just don't be surprised if the LEO doesn't like you holding it...

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    no not if your state has a castle doctrine in place because you are on your own property.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

If you live in Phoenix and the officer sees your gun and decides to whip his out and shoot you, there is a high likelihood that it will be ruled he acted within policy.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

That would be a tough call without the laws known immediately.

Good to hear all went well.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    If you live in Phoenix and the officer sees your gun and decides to whip his out and shoot you, there is a high likelihood that it will be ruled he acted within policy.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
    Wow. Note to self...if living in AZ, kill the intruder, THEN call the cops and tell them it is no longer an emergency. I can't believe they were cleared. But that's an argument for another topic.

I think keeping it in the holster will be fine if it happens again. If I don't recognize it as a cop or guard, I'll have it in hand at those hours of the night.
    -Ryan

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Just have to remember that guns make cops VERY nervous. I would ask to see ID and that they state their business.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Castle Doctrine (SB184) fully in place in OH (Finally). Come to the door with gun in hand.....just don't cross the threshold of your door or point it at anyone unless threatened.

VIP Member
    It is not recommended to have a gun in hand visible to any LEO without prior acknowledgment or permission. His surprise could become mutual. If it is concealed or not visible, a gun should be very accessible for a wee hour knock at the door. Any little middle-of-the-night knock or noise around here sets off a cacophony of mastiff queries that make it difficult to carry on a conversation.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I normally answering the door with my pistol concealed from their site, or holstered, so the person I’m speaking with has no idea I’m armed.

Over 25 years ago, I use to roll with the SD on NARC raids, and I’ll tell you that if you’re holding a gun in your hand it would not be pleasant.

The problem is you don’t know why an LEO is at your door or if they have the wrong Intel, or wrong address.

So it’s best to never hold a gun in your hand, where they can see you.

At 3:30 in the morning, I would ask for “ID” and then close the door (locked) and then call 911 to confirm who they are. Or I might just call 911, without opening the door, and report a suspicious person at my door, and then let the operator tell me they are real LEO’s.

There's no way in hell I would answer the door for the police with it in my hand. IMO that's just asking to get shot. I'd keep it on my belt either open or concealed, just not in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    It is not recommended to have a gun in hand visible to any LEO without prior acknowledgment or permission. His surprise could become mutual. If it is concealed or not visible, a gun should be very accessible for a wee hour knock at the door. Any little middle-of-the-night knock or noise around here sets off a cacophony of mastiff queries that make it difficult to carry on a conversation.
    Oh yeah.....thats what i meant!!! I wouldn't recommend swinging the door wide open brandishing weapons.....screaming at the top of your voice "what the **** do you want!!! That would be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    The problem is you donít know why an LEO is at your door or if they have the wrong Intel, or wrong address.

So itís best to never hold a gun in your hand, where they can see you.
    yeah again, this is what i meant. The OP indicated that "he didn't do anything wrong or did he witness anything."

There has been a rise in home invasions here in Cincy by BG impersonating LEO.

It would be sweet to have one of those little sliding windows in your door like at an old speakeasy...talk and see more through it without actually opening the door.
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    It would be sweet to have one of those little sliding windows in your door like at an old speakeasy...talk and see more through it without actually opening the door.
    As long as there is a steel plate from there down......

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links