Do You Feel Safe In Your House of Worship?

This is a discussion on Do You Feel Safe In Your House of Worship? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by searcher 45 It seems strange to preach while CC. Just an observation: That comment indicates to me that you haven't fully resolved ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Feel Safe In Your House of Worship?

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    It seems strange to preach while CC.
    Just an observation: That comment indicates to me that you haven't fully resolved the issue in your heart. If I'm wrong, and you're just referring to a little residual "weirdness" then please disregard. Otherwise, make sure you clear up any "iffy" feelings asap. Sooner or later, no matter how inconspicuous you are, you're going to have to defend your choice in a conversation with someone who may or may not be familiar with scripture--or worse, may know just enough to have opinions stronger than his education.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    In Utah, Churches are one of the few no gun zones by law. I have an easy solution to this. If I cant carry, I dont go. Problem solved. I dont have to go to church to talk to God, he's a good listener no matter where I am.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

with all the people in my church that carry, including my wife and me, i feel pretty safe at our church.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    he he At least you'll be in the company of lots of LEO's
    Let's see... a lot of guys with guns getting a sugar rush from syrup, followed by an equal and opposite low.... hummm, can I change my answer?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    You should come visit us, we've rarely been accused of being ORGANIZED.
    i liked that one......
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Considering the various discussions on carrying in church, this is an interesting poll of the general public:

Do You Feel Safe At Your House of Worship? - FOXNews.com

Be sure to read the comments section; some are very interesting, some are typical knee-jerk anti-gun and some are head-in-the-sand.
    I don't feel 100% "safe" anywhere.

That's probably a by-product of all I've seen and expirienced, as well as learned about from others. I try not to make the mistakes that others have made, thus shortening my learning curve.

If one studies history they will see that bad things can happen to good people in the nicest of places. That tells me, a student of life that wants to continue being a student, to prepare the the worst possible likely scenario. If I can handle that, then anything else is easy.

Yes, I carry a BUG and reloads off duty. I can also often be found with longarms in the truck. I can envision likely scenarios for me where having such things could be realistic.

Biker

Ron
    I carry, but it does not make me feel very safe. I have envisioned the scenario of some lunatic coming into the sanctuary during services and starting to shoot.

There likely would be panic with people running all over the place. I can't imagine the congregants who are armed just starting to fire at the BG or guys, without risking hitting other congregants.

To me, this is one of those nightmare situations, which is not likely to have a good ending without a lot of luck coming into play.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I carry, but it does not make me feel very safe. I have envisioned the scenario of some lunatic coming into the sanctuary during services and starting to shoot.

There likely would be panic with people running all over the place. I can't imagine the congregants who are armed just starting to fire at the BG or guys, without risking hitting other congregants.

To me, this is one of those nightmare situations, which is not likely to have a good ending without a lot of luck coming into play.
    +1......very well stated.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Every church needs to have a plan for this now.

In the late 90s when the church shooting here in Texas happened (one of the victims was my cousins' former youth pastor), a police officer in our church in CA (My dad was the pastor, I was the Intern) let my dad know that he carried to church always. There was a window at the back of the sanctuary that conveniantly gave the pulpit a view of the front doors. The one time someone odd came in, Dad interrupted what he was saying to request that the ushers assist the man in the lobby. It was a very small church in a very bad neighborhood (well maybe not very bad, certainly not good, not Compton, but not Belaire, either.). A lunatic had once entered during the service and stormed the pulpit and began to make a speech. He made it to the pulpit because the church was in the middle of prayer time and everyone was broken off in groups. He was tackled and tied up for the police. At the time I first heard of it the response seemed a little overboard. Today not so much.

I think every church should have someone in the lobby / each lobby if more than one discretely assessing people who come in, particularly after the service has started. From a spiritual standpoint it's got to be very discrete because you can't exactly frisk visitors.

Is there such a thing as a hidden metal detector that would quietly alert security if someone who wasn't supposed to carried through the front doors? It would obviously create a problem for legitimate ccw carriers though.

I feel safer at church, because I have my .40 with me every day, even at church. I know of one other that also carries.
    Last edited by QKShooter; October 24th, 2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: minor deletion to keep thread on topic - cleanup
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VDM
    Absolutely... However, My Preacher has given me permission to carry in his Church...

generally feel safe, but GA criminalizes church carry :(
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Consider how many thousands of churches meet at least once on Sunday, and some twice plus Wednesday evening. Yes there have been a few church shootings, but the percentage is absolutely miniscule. If you are worried then so be it, but I am not.
    There is a minor flaw in your reasoning:

Consider how many millions of restaurants are open all day, every day. Yes, there have been a few restaurant shootings, but the percentage is absolutely minuscule.

In the US, some 300 million people go about their business every day. The percentage chance of being the victim of a violent crime is quite small. The percentage chance of being a victim of a shooting spree is smaller still.

It is for that tiny percentage that we DO carry, right?

Edit: Re-read what you said. Ok - I'm not WORRIED. Doesn't change anything :)

OK for one I'm no Hero , that being said , my only concern is for the safety of my family , I carry "Concealed" in church as well as any where else I go " No Federal Buildings or Local Police stations or Jails" If it comes to the point of me having to protect my Family , I would move them to the floor behind the pews until I could move them out , If a BG comes looking for us then I would shoot , not start shooting into a panicked crowd of church goers their safety is not my concern. but with the sue laws as they are now , even though here in Florida we have some laws on the book to keep , from being sued for protecting you or your family . why take the chance.
    I am A Proud Descendant Of A Confederate Soldier

Sons of Confederate Veterans
    http://www.scv.org/
    Video
    http://www.scv.org/video.php

My plan has been for my wife to go to the floor behind the pews and me above her.

The downside is pews are often well above the floor and bolted in place and I don't trust them to stop a bullet, but they stop them better than air, I suppose. We usually sit in the tiered area between the main floor and the balcony. The fact that the pews are on concrete risers (looks nicer than it sounds) makes it safer than being between the pews on the main floor.

That said, my church has a very professional security department from everything I've seen and armed police everywhere, so I'm not that worried.

It's probably the place I feel safest. Not because it's church, but because there are armed cops everywhere and I am pretty sure plenty of armed non-uniformed security as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links