Do You Feel Safe In Your House of Worship?

This is a discussion on Do You Feel Safe In Your House of Worship? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I feel safe at church. but I always carry too. There are armed LEO attending services and they appreciate the back up of armed members. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do You Feel Safe In Your House of Worship?

I feel safe at church. but I always carry too. There are armed LEO attending services and they appreciate the back up of armed members. I pray to God that I never have to use my weapon, and I ask for his guidance should I ever need to.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I don't feel 100% "safe" anywhere.

That's probably a by-product of all I've seen and expirienced, as well as learned about from others. I try not to make the mistakes that others have made, thus shortening my learning curve.

If one studies history they will see that bad things can happen to good people in the nicest of places. That tells me, a student of life that wants to continue being a student, to prepare the the worst possible likely scenario. If I can handle that, then anything else is easy.

Yes, I carry a BUG and reloads off duty. I can also often be found with longarms in the truck. I can envision likely scenarios for me where having such things could be realistic.

Biker
    I agree with ALL this (except the part about the longarms in the truck, only because I haven't purchased mine yet. )

In reading the comments in the poll, some people really get it, and others really don't.

Yes. I don't think about safety when I attend a service at my house of worship. 48% (5,862 votes)

Yes. But I've begun to think more about my safety after all these attacks. 34% (4,125 votes)

No. I wish my house of worship would focus more on this issue. 12% (1,472 votes)

No. But my house of worship does not seem concerned. 5% (558 votes)

I'm not sure. 2% (208 votes)

Total Votes: 12,225

We have 1 or 2 LEO's, usually grouped together by the main entrance, while 6 other entrances have no police presence, with a crowd of around 1,500-2,000.

I know for a fact they are not very good at spotting weapons on people who walk right by them, even those who occasionally chat with them.

I feel no safer and no less safe in a house of worship than in my own home.

Bad stuff can can happen any time and anywhere!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    I feel no safer and no less safe in a house of worship than in my own home.

Bad stuff can can happen any time and anywhere!

Bobo
    This pretty well fits my thoughts as well. I'll also add that while at church I think about how many people are sitting around me with absolutely no exit strategy, no firearm and no plan for their family and I feel that I am pretty well protected by their being an easier target than my family. A very sad thought but when in a herd one must have the best herd mentality. I don't want to be the first wildebeast in the water and I don't want to be the last one running across the plains!

Yup, I feel safe because I'm in the house of the Lord (and I'm armed :))
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Kenney View Post
    I feel somewhat safe now, but I'll feel even safer next Sunday when I have my new XD(m) .40 in my SmartCarry while I'm preaching...

:-)
    "Beware thou wolves who pray on the lambs of my flock. I shall reacheth into my shorts and give you the what for!!!"

:)
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    "Beware thou wolves who pray on the lambs of my flock. I shall reacheth into my shorts and give you the what for!!!"

:)

I feel safer than most, as Biker said not ever completely safe. I work on the security team and carry my G30 and 2 spare 13rnd mags. We have about 5 on security each service and there are other LEOs that are not "on-duty" for security in the service. We are spread throughout the sanctuary and have roamers.

oh....and I do not perpetuate the LEO gatherings at waffle house, IHOP, etc, I hate those places
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

64zebra,
    You bring your own donut ?

Just kidding.

ube
    I recently breached this subject with my Pastor. He and I have known each other for 15 years or more and are good friends. He's known that I got my CHL, ohio term, a while ago.

He and I and some other guys have met for coffee on Saturday mornings for almost as many years and he's known I've carried there always.

Well the other day I finally breached the subject with him and he said that he's never seen me printing, but knew I was carrying and that he felt safer knowing that. When I asked about carrying in the church he said he was fine with it as long as it was a valid license holder, I agree.

Last night I finally got him out to the range and worked on teaching him how to shoot. Then I sent the target to the back of the range, 75-80 feet, and emptied my xdm 40 mag into it and pulled it forward and he was impressed with the shot grouping from that distance. I was too since it was only the second time I'd shot at that range with it.

He's good with licensed carriers and I know he is planning on getting his license soon also.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Rounds View Post
    64zebra,
    You bring your own donut ?

Just kidding.
    no, but they usually have them in our Sunday school class
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Do I feel safe?

I feel pretty darn safe in church. I attend a large church here in Colorado Springs that's known for having a blonde security guard with a 9mm.

I feel safe enough. We've got uniformed cops and plainclothes folks in our church (big one). And Texas law allows me to carry a gun there, too. None of that is a guarantee against nutjobs, but nothing much is.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links