What do you do for Post Draw Protection? - Page 4

What do you do for Post Draw Protection?

This is a discussion on What do you do for Post Draw Protection? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MitchellCT You know it's grey... What if that knife you thought you saw was really a cell phone? HOW do you know ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for Post Draw Protection?

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    You know it's grey...

What if that knife you thought you saw was really a cell phone?

HOW do you know if it's grey?
    Just a thought about this... I try to spend time periodically on a trainer/simulator (in this case a rangemaster with ex LEO at the controls to pull my chain). One of the scenarios he ran me thru was a carjacking, first perp I got nice and clean, as I finished my scan and started uncoupling a second perp (i thought) jumped me with a lfirearm pointed directly at me. I popped him promptly, as with a very short decision window and the information at hand combined with my state from the first shooting it sure looked like a firearm. A As he was falling a little bell was going off in my head that something did not seem quite right. A re run showed it to be upon closer exaination (in front of my buddies of course) to be a cell phone. ...and that my friends is how you learn.

If you really want to get some experience short of the real thing, go get some hours on simulators. fwiw- The experience always leaves me drained and very pensive as nothing IMO is black and white.

Now, if you could only proceed to court (simulator) !

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Get an umbrella policy to cover you in the event of a shooting. The policy will cover your legal fees and representation. It will also cover damages in the event you are found liable in a civil matter up to the policy limits.
    This is only a correct statement to the extent of a CIVIL case. You are on your own for the criminal defense.

Rob P ... if you or anyone else knows of an umbrella policy covering you for the criminal defense please let me know. I realize there are a handful of CCW policies out there for the criminal component but they are not "umbrella" policies. I am working up a case study right now so anyone please correct me if my research so far is flawed.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmizzi View Post
    This is only a correct statement to the extent of a CIVIL case. You are on your own for the criminal defense.
    So the insurance would be pointless in Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Can anything you say before you're read your rights be admissible in court?
    Everything.

Quote Originally Posted by 1980Maico440 View Post
    Now, if you could only proceed to court (simulator) !
    Find a local law school and ask to sit in on a mock trial. Also, check out 'moot court' teams from the law school, and see when they are doing something that interests you.

VIP Member
    Here's to a bottle of Glenlivits for MitchellCT
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananael View Post
    I recently found this but I have no idea if they are reputable. Has anyone dealt with them?
    My problem with this service is the statement

CHLPP does not provide coverage for related civil lawsuit legal expenses.
    As I posted earlier, that's the main problem, here in Virginia.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Here's to a bottle of Glenlivits for MitchellCT
    GLENFIDDICH

Not Glenlivet

GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH

or Balvenie...

VIP Member
    I believe the NRA legal insurance is only for a criminal defense in a justifiable self-defense, and costs around $150/yr. I don't know how to insure against the civil aftermath. The $5000 from membership in ACLDN is a good start, perhaps. The access to local attorneys which you can vet is a plus also.

If I could afford it I could spell it...can you say Chivas?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    So the insurance would be pointless in Texas?
    Umbrella insurance is good on many levels and it is relatively cheap (I just got a $1 million policy for something like $140 a year) but those of you in states with strong castle doctine laws with the "no litigation" language shouldn't be needing it for a self defense civil matter. However, it is still a smart buy for many other reasons. If anyone wants to read a typical umbrella policy before contacting an agent just let me know and I will post one from Erie.

By the way, I am not an insurance agent or related to that industry in any way. I just happen to have updated all of my policies in the last few weeks and I looked at all of the policies (and asked many questions of my agent) from a gun owners perspective.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

VIP Member
    GLENFIDDICH

Not Glenlivet

GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH GLENFIDDICH

or Balvenie...
    OTOH -- I have a few bottles of pre-'89 Dallas Dhu still squirreled away, if you're ever down this way.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

GLENFIDDICH

Not Glenlivet

or Balvenie...
    Damm ... you can't even be nice when someone offers to buy you a bottle of scotch.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmizzi View Post
    Umbrella insurance is good on many levels and it is relatively cheap....
    Did you check it for an exclusion of deliberate acts resulting in a claim, or legese of that sort?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Did you check it for an exclusion of deliberate acts resulting in a claim, or legese of that sort?
    I sure did. The legalese that had me question (as you did) was in their "What We Do Not Cover - Exclusions" section item 2. (I tried to upload the pdf of the policy for all but it was larger than the DC file size limit so if you want it PM me). I followed up and asked my agent to clarify this in writing and his reply (as excerpted from an email) is as follows:

So the policy states,”We do NOT cover personal injury or property damage expected or intended by anyone we protect.” In other words they will NOT cover any actions taken by someone else against you or your family as a result of an action previously made by you or your family (If you hit someone and they hit you back then open a suit against you, you are not covered because of the first action). It also states, “We do cover reasonable acts committed to protect persons or property.” So they cover any reasonable acts you or your family take in order to protect yourselves and your property.

OK, so here is the deal. The policy will cover you in the case someone attempts to harm you, your family or your property and you take some form of lethal or non-lethal force to stop him or her and in turn they attempt to open a civil suit against you. Now this policy will NOT cover any property taken (Your homeowners would cover the property taken) and or personal injury incurred to yourself or your family. Even though the policy will cover you in the event this happens in civil court it does not help or cover any criminal judgments brought against you because of actions taken by you or your family.
    Hope this helps.

Gotta' agree.....

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    What I DO know is that you cannot seem to discuss this issue without resorting to personal attacks and insults.

That tells me all I need to know about you. It also casts a shadow over everything you say.

Seems you cannot disagree without being disagreeable. Shame.

You don't know me, or my background. You are making assumptions.

Bye.
    the guy (presumed) was rude and insulting from the outset. He has indicated that he is an either an alcoholic, or at the least a regular imbiber. Heck, I enjoy Scotch also, The Glenlivit Glenlivit Glenlivit in my case. However, other than my own mention for this caricaturized post, I find the Counselor's propensity toward publicizing his first year law school drinking exploits rather sophomoric, and cliche. Other than that I am very impressed with him.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links