What do you do for Post Draw Protection? - Page 6

What do you do for Post Draw Protection?

This is a discussion on What do you do for Post Draw Protection? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All the more reason to retain counsel instead of going it alone....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What do you do for Post Draw Protection?

All the more reason to retain counsel instead of going it alone.

I hope I'm never in that position, but if I am it would go something like
    this,#1) Call 911#2)Call Brother He would get me a lawyer(FOP)
    #3)Statement not going to happen till Brother or lawyer show
    #4 Go home (if possible) clear my head Take it from there
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger45 View Post
    Can anything you say be used against you if you are (“loopy from the drugs”) under prescribed medication?
    HOPEFULLY (!) your attorney can get that thrown out, but it sure makes life more difficult.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    You know it's grey...

HOW?

Everyone who pulls the trigger thinks they did the right thing at that moment. They are firmly convinced that it was the right thing to do...

What if that knife you thought you saw was really a cell phone?
    What if you were front sight focused and didn't realize you shot as he turned putting a HST into the back of his head, and didn't see after he dropped, then told the police you shot him?

So.

Tell us.

HOW do you know if it's grey?
    The More training the better.
    What if scenarios are a dime a dozen, and you can make them as gray as you want. In both of your examples I still shot the guy. By not saying anything you are not going to change that. When the facts come out, what happened, happened.
    That’s where training comes in – you’ll be better prepared to keep yourself out of the gray zones.
    Also – the vast majority of actual SD shootings are more on the black & white side than some shade of gray. Most of the gray ones are when people are in places that they shouldn’t be in to begin with.

My bottom line to stay out of trouble – be more concerned about what I do prior to a shooting than after it.

I have a couple of numbers of lawyers that handle those types of cases....other than that, as the OP said, I just don't have the $$$ to keep a lawyer on retainer.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    HOPEFULLY (!) your attorney can get that thrown out, but it sure makes life more difficult.
    Funny you should answer here, what I had read/was told is the first thing you should do (if possible) is to ask the Paramedics to give you something to help calm your nerves, just in case you did say something that you shouldn’t have. Never did know if that was good advice or not.

Thanks,

PS: I thank Paramedics should have guns.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger45 View Post
    Funny you should answer here, what I had read/was told is the first thing you should do (if possible) is to ask the Paramedics to give you something to help calm your nerves, just in case you did say something that you shouldn’t have. Never did know if that was good advice or not.

Thanks,

PS: I thank Paramedics should have guns.
    Every EMS system is different. In my area, just saying you need 'something' isn't going to get you anything, you have to be severely emotionally distraught, like uncontrollable crying or some type of manic behavior, to get Valium, and truly flipping out for Haldol. Even then, in those types of situations, we usually need to call in to the ED for a Physician order, which is a 50/50 proposition. Everything we do in EMS is considered an extension of Physician care and the Docs guard their licenses jealously.

I'd rather remain in control of my faculties. Valium may make you say something you'll regret, but it is not a narcotic, so a prosecuting attorney could argue that the drug just freed you up to speak the truth without clouding your ability to perceive reality. Haldol on the other hand, lights out. BTW when you get medicated by EMS, you've pretty much locked in a ride to the ED. Medicate and release is something that the ED Docs abhor. We usually preemt refusals by medicating en route.

You might be better off keeping a flask of your favorite high octane beverage handy, and chug it down as the LEOs approach. Explain that you needed a drink to calm your nerves, and you were sober before the shooting. Not that I condone such, but also effective in avoiding DUI convictions. LEOs can't determine your BAC while driving, so the most you can get charged with is DIP.

On the "Paramedics with guns" issue, I have sampled some EMS forums from time to time. You get visceral polarizing responses, usually negative. The common arguments are: Guns would be a barrier to effective care (I guess that's the open carry community talking, or they're planning to advertise that EMS is armed); they'd just shoot us or take it away (same thing); what we do physically makes it impossible to ensure weapon retention (not really); just call the police (where have we heard that before); some of the Medics I know shouldn't be armed (like it would be mandatory); etc. When I showed them some examples of the types of concealable holsters available, they just say it looks too uncomfortable to wear all shift. I guess it's all in how you order your priorities...

I can see how carrying a full size 1911 or such all day on the box could get tedious, but a J frame or KelTec really wouldn't be an issue at all. Heck even a medium frame large caliber semi-auto would work fine in a Bagmaster square belt pouch. IWB tuckable could be an issue since most of us wear T shirts now, and we do tend to do things that require hand placement, which sometimes causes our shirts to loosen up and pull out. The days of button down dress shirts are just about gone. I also would worry about tearing my pants at a crash scene and having the weapon come tumbling out, as well as prohibited places. I haven't seen a law yet that exempts on duty EMS
    from that, so unless your department openly accepts weapons and provides secure storage, or you are willing to hang your butt out, schools, courthouses, jails, prisons, etc. can cause significant problems to armed EMS response.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Random
    How about Bushmill's
    Didn't I say I drink QUALITY.

QUALITY.

As in:

Ammo = Gold Dot/Ranger T/Black Hills/HST

Whiskey of the same quality only.
    I'll take that as a "yes".

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

You might be better off keeping a flask of your favorite high octane beverage handy, and chug it down as the LEOs approach. Explain that you needed a drink to calm your nerves, and you were sober before the shooting. Not that I condone such, but also effective in avoiding DUI convictions. LEOs can't determine your BAC while driving, so the most you can get charged with is DIP.

Oh.

Hell.

NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I'll take that as a "yes".
    Busmills is fit to clean gun and light fires with, not drink.

VIP Member
    "Officer, hold my flask while I look for my permit."

And I use Chivas to clean the toilet bowl when I've had too much.

IMO your dress and demeanor will be contrasted with that of the BG. How you look and act can have a bearing on LEO's impression without your having to say a word.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Your second post, and.....

Quote Originally Posted by ballsack View Post
    I'm sorry but W.T.F. are you talking about??

Mitchell has been telling you morons all along, be quiet and don't assume you know how to handle legal matters.

LOL - I'm still laughing at how ridiculious this paramedics comment is.
    you label posters as 'morons'. Well at least perhaps Mitchell and RobP, the lawyers, will find you appealing! But you know what 'they' say about lawyers, right? p.s., lemme' guess, you also are a lawyer!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

I didn't use the word moron.

My best friend in town is a lawyer. We've been doing each other favors for twenty years.

Senior Moderator
    After reviewing the whole thread,I believe that everything that needs to be said has been said and lots that didn't need to be.

Closed.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links