Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 10mm

Votes: 6 0.7%
  • .44 Magnum

Votes: 4 0.5%

Poll: Minimum Caliber You Carry

14K views 130 replies 108 participants last post by  Tbonedemon 
#1 ·
No need for the explanations, we've heard the excuses from both sides on why some people like lower recoil/greater capacity and other enjoy the idea of blowing basket-ball sized holes out the perps back.

What is your "minimum caliber"? That is, what is the smallest/least powerful round you will carry. This is not to say that it is your current carry round, just that this would be the smallest you would go.

For instance I carry a 10mm, but would at minimum carry a .40S&W

#4 ·
.38 is the smallest I carry and would carry.

#38 ·
that wasn't the question. The question is, "what is the minimum caliber you'd carry". Regardless of what you own or what you currently, what is the least powerful you could see yourself carrying.

#8 ·
It all depends upon what I think I'll be up against. With handguns:

500 S&W for Alaska Brown or those big white ones. There have been reports of friendly white things...Bi-Polar Bears.

41Mag for anything in the lower continents.

45 Auto for anything on the streets.

40S&W for BUG.

It's just me, but I don't completely trust any lesser handgun caliber with lighter bullets, even in the 357 Mag. I know, I know, it's all about shot placement, right? A heavy bullet in the right spot can't be all bad, if it doesn't deflect and miss the vital opportunity.

If you really care about your safety, there's no excuse for not having enough gun. With a good, tuck-able IWB, a business professional dress shirt can hide it comfortably.

#64 ·
To keep from being arrested, at times, a Ruger LCP is all I can carry. In Central Texas, it is warm to hot for 9 months out of the year. I walk around in elastic waste band athletic shorts. Anything heavier would place me in danger of being arrested for indecent exposure! :yup:

If I am wearing jeans and a belt, I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP.

#13 ·
Mine is about 20 oz. 2 1/2" ported titanium 5 shot Taurus 415ti with Fed Prem 250gr hard Cast Core's, 210gr hot loaded Hornady XTP's, and 215gr lead way reduced loads when it breaks the wrist.

Attachments

#14 ·
I’m now a civilian; as such I am not intentionally headed in harm’s way, but carry a gun so I have options should a BG oppose me. With that in mind 60% of the time I carry a Kel-Tec P3At 380 in a nemesis pocket holster, and the other 40% of the time, I carry a Glock 26 9mm.

The ability to completely conceal and the confidence that comes with that means that you will carry a gun 100% of the time. I’d far rather have that little 380 in my pocket than to have a full size 45 back in the car because it is too heavy, or too big to carry.

With that said; sure if I was going to be in a gun fight I’d prefer to have something a little bigger, say a Remington 870 12-gage. But then again, as a civilian, if I think it’s going to be risky, I’m not going there.

#78 ·
.38 Spl because I carry a J-Frame 90% of the time.(G23 the rest). I really like your point about civilians. I think we keep hammering about personal decisions and that we shoud be able to carry into the "dark zone" when the most important decision we can make as civilians is not to go into dangerous areas. Some people have to to make a living, granted, but most of us could pick safer places to be. The gun fight you really win is the gunfight you avoided.

#16 ·
.380 would be as small as I would go.

My feeling is a .380 > nothing.

Most of the time the sight of a gun is going to stop someone. If not, then shot placement is key. I doubt a BG is going to stop and say "Please don't shoot... wait... Is that a .380? HA! I'm going to rob you anyway..."

#17 ·
.38 +P is the smallest (my BUG) but I usually carry a .45! :wink:

#20 ·
First I'll say I'm not a shootist or anywhere near an expert in these things. But I do like guns and do depend on them for Safety. I have had CHL for many years (at least 4 renewals already). I have tried to tote several types of handguns including 22 LR, 22 Magnun, 25 ACP, 38 Special, 380 Auto, 44 Special Snubbie, but lately I have settled on carrying a pocket 32 ACP. I know its not too powerful, but I know it'll put a bunch of little holes into a bad guy. I just want to keep the bad guy from getting close enough to physically grab me, or close enough to club or knife me. The little 32 in the pocket (all the time) is peace of mind.

I kind of like to use my mind to access the situation and act accordingly. Like if the BG is in a gang and they are likely to have 9mm 15 stackers, I'm thinking rapidly how to get the hey out of there. The pocket pistol is a desperation Last resort for me. If I know I'm about to go out into the 'Badlands', then bigger is definately better.

#24 ·
I carry either 9mm or .38spl.

Wife is soon to carry .380 (after we get to pick up her newly bought Ruger LCP)

However, I have on occasions, dropped a .25 in my pocket, just in case.

#25 ·
My EDC is a Kahr K40 or my J Frame in .38 in my pocket.

I have carried and would carry again the Kel-Tec P32. Caliber is not at the top of my list in choosing a carry gun. Those who know the realities of the effectiveness of handguns in general will probably agree.

KG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.