Defensive Carry banner

KelTec P3AT belt clip question...Class 3?

9K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  rmodel65 
#1 ·
I routinely carry a P3AT IWB with the belt clip, I have been doing this for a while. Recently I was in a gun store in another town looking and while talking to the store owner, a FFL and Class 3 dealer. I mentioned the KelTec and my preferred method of carry. He informed me that modifying the P3AT with the belt clip made it qualify for a class3 stamp...and I was carrying it illegally. Has anyone here heard anything about this?

Thanks!!

#2 ·
If I am understanding you correctly he is saying it is against federal law to carry with a belt clip? I have never heard of this. As a matter of fact I don't know of any Federal law concerned with how a person carries their hand gun with or without a holster. There may be some state law concerned with this but I haven't hear of that either. You might contact KelTec and ask them.

#17 ·
a holster is only required to conceal open carry requires no holster in GA...
also a hip grip can be used id consider the clip a hip grip(it isnt defined neither is holster)

GA code link: OCGA 16-11-126 on GeorgiaPacking.org

(c) This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person's clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case, briefcase, or other closed container. Any person having been issued a license to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 shall be permitted to carry such weapon, subject to the limitations of this part, in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas as defined by Code Section 12-3-10 and in all wildlife management areas

#8 ·
Please tell me that you laughed in his face.
This ranks pretty high on the Stupidity-Meter.

#13 ·
What a load of crap.

Some states do require a holster.[/QUOTE

I agree, ......... I know Ohio it is not ok w/o a holster

I have one on my P-11 and I like it. It does'nt get in the way

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

#11 ·
Does my money clip mean I have to be a class III dealer, too?

No more bag clips for my nachos!

#12 ·
Although the clip is not an illegal item (GA may require a holster, but it doesn't make the gun illegal), I would not carry a pistol in such a manner...I want my trigger covered.:scratchchin:

#15 ·
I routinely carry a P3AT IWB with the belt clip, I have been doing this for a while. Recently I was in a gun store in another town looking and while talking to the store owner, a FFL and Class 3 dealer. I mentioned the KelTec and my preferred method of carry. He informed me that modifying the P3AT with the belt clip made it qualify for a class3 stamp...and I was carrying it illegally. Has anyone here heard anything about this?

Thanks!!
I think your guy has been smokin' them funny cigarettes with the twisted ends.

#16 ·
I love my keltec no matter what you call it :) I carry mine in an IWB and I love it. It's like it isn't even there.

#18 ·
BS. Pure and simple. Besides, I like my Keltec with the belt clip. I carry it that way all the time.

#19 ·
Thanks for all the responses, I did not believe the guy, but I have friends that bought firearms from him in the past and always thought he knew what he was talking about. I think TerriLi and Rmodel are correct where in Ga an open carry must be in a holster, but the gun store owner said that the clip was an illegal modification???

Anyway, I have a carry permit and will continue to carry it with the clip on it.

McDougal - I do like the clip and it does not bother me when shooting, it does bother my wife...she does not like shooting the P3AT with the clip on it, which is strange since her hands are much smaller than mine. I also like the fact that if I want to holster it, either on my side or ankle the clip is small enough that it still fits in the holster.

#22 ·
Thanks for all the responses, I did not believe the guy, but I have friends that bought firearms from him in the past and always thought he knew what he was talking about. I think TerriLi and Rmodel are correct where in Ga an open carry doesnt need to be in a holster, but the gun store owner said that the clip was an illegal modification???

Anyway, I have a carry permit and will continue to carry it with the clip on it.

McDougal - I do like the clip and it does not bother me when shooting, it does bother my wife...she does not like shooting the P3AT with the clip on it, which is strange since her hands are much smaller than mine. I also like the fact that if I want to holster it, either on my side or ankle the clip is small enough that it still fits in the holster.
FTFY no holster is need for Open Carry ever as long as the pistold is immediately recognizable as a pistol Caselaw on GeorgiaPacking.org, Stockdale v. State, 32 Ga. 225 (1861)
A pistol carried by a man with no effort to conceal it; with the barrel inserted beneath the pantaloons in front, whilst the man's coat was unbuttoned, and the man had on no vest at the time; that the cock, cylinder, and caps of the pistol could be plainly and distinctly seen, and any person could know that it was a pistol, without any difficulty, is not concealed.

Upholds Nunn v. State's constitutional right to bear arms openly, as that "decision has been constantly adhered to from that time to the present, and must continue to stand as the law of this Court on that subject."

The court notes that it is "impossible for one to have and bear about his person a pistol or weapon of any kind, without having some part of the weapon concealed from view."

This is the decision that originated the idea of putting others on notice that they are armed, and dangerous persons, to be avoided upon sight.

Note that bear = carry, in the Supreme Court's estimation.

i carry my keltecp11 with a belt clip :p

#20 ·
A "disguised weapon" falls under the NFA as an AOW. The Man has declared some holsters as AOWs when combined with handguns. These were mostly wallet holsters with the hole in them so that the gun could be fired with the gun in it. We ran into that problem when we bought some High standard derringers in wallet holsters from a local prison. Ended up junking all the holsters.

I can't imagine how a KT belt clip would matter unless The Man has decided something like that again.

Of course, you could always pay $200 on a from 1, engrave your KT and make it an AOW.....

#23 ·
I guess the derringers were top secret in the old days, it was the only way certain officers could be armed among the inmate population. They sold them as surplus, along with some ugly S&W 15s. Horrible finish, hardly ever fired. Smooth actions.

The prisoners did have guns, and axes, and shanks of every description. Worked some assault and even a few homicide calls there. The Sheriff's range used to use inmate labor to clean up the range and pick up the brass. A few duds or loose rounds made it into the prison and caused quite the lockdown a few years ago when they were discovered. Did you know you can make a hatchet with the lid of a #10 can and a toilet brush? A shank from a stack of styrofoam cups or a roll of trash bags?

This looks like the same gun and holster combo, Google images:
http://www.donsleather.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/WALLET_HOLSTER_35.JPG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.