Airline travel - Page 3

Airline travel

This is a discussion on Airline travel within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I might as well throw this one in, too! Packing & the Friendly Skies by Deviant Ollam...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Airline travel

I might as well throw this one in, too!

Packing & the Friendly Skies by Deviant Ollam
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by OngngFreedom View Post
    I kick myself for not saving that sticker. I don't remember what it was but it was relatively non-descript. I got the impression they may have done that to show the bag was checked for explosive residue. I know marking the bag by TSA or the airline is verboten, but to be honest with you I was a bit intimidated by the whole process to ask.
    Most times the airlines and TSA personnel are very knowledgeable. Every once in a while you run into staff who don't know the rules. That's when you politlely ask for a supervisor. I had an airline person who wanted to inspect the weapon out of my sight. I objected in no uncertain terms and he stopped. I fly in and out of Dulles Airport in VA and VA is a very gun friendly state, so no problems there. I will never fly into or out of any airport in NYC or NJ. There have been reports of people laying over being arrested if their connecting flights get canceled and they are left in the airport with a handgun in their luggage. Not worth it. I fly around or OVER NY and NJ. Just not worth the chance of an arrest, even if it's not legal. I know the DOJ has told NY and NJ to stop doing this, but not sure if they have. The problem is once you actually stay over in one of those states, the protections of FOPA don't apply, even if you can prove that staying over was not your plan. FOPA only protects you while you are in transit. Same goes for travel in a car as I read it.

Safe flying.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I might as well throw this one in, too!

Packing & the Friendly Skies by Deviant Ollam
    A decent summary there. The only thing I might disagree with that author about is the 11 pound ammunition limit being federal requirement. I read somewhere that that is only a european requirement that US carriers follow. I couldn't find that restriction on the TSA's website.

I much more prefer being able to keep my Glock on my hip (or "pouch" if I'm using the SmartCarry) and sitting in the front of the plane!

Quote Originally Posted by OngngFreedom View Post
    A decent summary there. The only thing I might disagree with that author about is the 11 pound ammunition limit being federal requirement. I read somewhere that that is only a european requirement that US carriers follow. I couldn't find that restriction on the TSA's website.

I much more prefer being able to keep my Glock on my hip (or "pouch" if I'm using the SmartCarry) and sitting in the front of the plane!
    I agree the weight requirement is from the airlines, not TSA. Not all airlines allow the same amount of ammo eiither. You should check the airline web site before flying. I fly United mostly and they do have the 11 pound allowance too.

I think 11 pounds is a weird number. Wonder if they did a conversion of a metric weight and it came out at 11 pounds? Anyone know? Just curious.

I think a 100 box of 9mm is 3.3 pounds so 3 boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    I think a 100 box of 9mm is 3.3 pounds so 3 boxes.
    ...would be about 10 pounds, not 11.

11 pounds is approximately 5 kilograms, so I would bet it was a conversion from metric.

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    ...would be about 10 pounds, not 11.

11 pounds is approximately 5 kilograms, so I would bet it was a conversion from metric.
    That was my understanding as well

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links