Question: Securing My Firearm in a Hotel Room - Page 5

Question: Securing My Firearm in a Hotel Room

This is a discussion on Question: Securing My Firearm in a Hotel Room within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's what one article said: These are hard to find because they Glock generally only supplies them by agency letterhead. The Maritime Spring Cups are ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Question: Securing My Firearm in a Hotel Room

Here's what one article said:

These are hard to find because they Glock generally only supplies them by agency letterhead. The Maritime Spring Cups are used by operators on the sharp end, especially those near water to ensure perfect reliability with their guns.

Their purpose is to allow water to drain away from the striker in the event your weapon ever gets submerged. It is conceivable that you might get a light strike if the water doesnít drain. Please DO NOT SHOOT UNDERWATER!!!! This could hurt you and destroy your gun.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." ó Benjamin Franklin

You're right about the G36. That would probably fit almost anywhere.

Toilet Battle. *shudder*

I just think that it would be a lot of trouble to go through just to put a gun somewhere safe. I work in the business, and unless you are in a real dive/hole, you are not going to be disturbed (use the little placard). This is pretty much an industry standard. We call those rooms DND (Do Not Disturb).

I know the horror stories that the housekeeping staff are all larcenous cretins and voyeurs, but the truth is that they have much too much to do in a short amount of time. Unless you are putting the gun on the bed out in the open, it will be reasonably safe as long as it is out of sight and under a moderate amount of "lock-and-key".

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I've already posted this in a prior posting to this forum. At the risk of repeating myself I'll offer my suggestion again.

Call the hotel where you'll be staying. Ask the front desk staff what arrangements they have for securing valuables. Making arrangements in advance will help you. If it would help ask to speak with someone in management. Explain to that person that you want to store a firearm in a safe manner. This will give you a better idea of what your options are since you are a guest of the hotel. Our goal as hotel employees is to make your stay as pleasant as possible. This included all areas of guest safety & security issues.

When I worked as a hotel desk clerk I've had guests who have stored firearms in the safe deposit boxes behind the front desk. We allowed these individuals into the office behind the front desk to privately deposit & retrieve their firearms from their safe deposit box.

Give this a try! This is from a former hotel night auditor/desk clerk of almost 12 years.

Been there, done that!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Exactly.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Like Pikachu said, put it in the Hotel Safe, it's really not a big deal at all .

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I understand that, but I am a little reluctant to place a firearm in the hotel safe, unless I can "package it up" somehow, so it's not obvious as to what it is.
    Well, i dont know what its like up there, but if you were to ask me to store a gun in my safe at my hotel i would be happy to meet a fellow CHL/CCW holder.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by TH48 View Post
    I think what's being missed here is that the discovery of a hidden gun will surely raise a red flag (drugs,crime) if discovered by someone who doesn't know you from Adam. The first reaction would be that you have something to hide. Now I know that if the gun is well hidden the chances are slim it would be found but if by chance it is discovered you can bet LEO will quickly be involved. You will then have the lengthy inconvenience of a ride to the substation where you will have to prove your intentions. I can assure you they will not easily release you until all facts are discussed at length and are proven. IMO, Keep it simple and use the honest approach by locking up the gun in either the room safe, the front desk safe or your vehicle with the slide locked and mags removed.
    Again, im not sure about NY, but a gun in your room is not illegal if it is not illegal according to state law.

If one of my housekeepers were to inform me of a gun sitting on the dresser, i would tell them to leave it alone. This would not raise any concerns with me but i would try to contact you and offer the hotel safe for your valuable weapon.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dihappy View Post
    Again, im not sure about NY, but a gun in your room is not illegal if it is not illegal according to state law.

If one of my housekeepers were to inform me of a gun sitting on the dresser, i would tell them to leave it alone. This would not raise any concerns with me but i would try to contact you and offer the hotel safe for your valuable weapon.
    Have you been to NY, Dihappy? I just visited NY for the first time in July (The girlfriend was born and raised there until about 14 or so...) and I must say, as a Texan I felt quite out of place. I mean, obviously I looked just like anyone else, but when you go discuss anything remotely considered an "issue", you'll realize how different it is up there.

Well, today is the day. I will all let you know what I finally decided to do later!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I use on of these bolted to the floor of my truck, under the fold up rear seat of a club cab. Not expensive, and will fit a full size Sig 220 45 with plenty of room to spare.......

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

OK, everyone... weekend over, and thank you all for your great suggestions!

I ended up using the hotel safe in the lobby. As many of you said, it would be no problem, and indeed, there were none!

Thanks!
    Jonathan
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Hotel safe. It is your responsibility as a permit holder to secure your weapon and it sounds like you made the right choice.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links