Question: Securing My Firearm in a Hotel Room

Question: Securing My Firearm in a Hotel Room

This is a discussion on Question: Securing My Firearm in a Hotel Room within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to an event this weekend, and staying in a hotel. This is not a problem, except that I need to drive into ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question: Securing My Firearm in a Hotel Room

Question Question: Securing My Firearm in a Hotel Room

I am going to an event this weekend, and staying in a hotel. This is not a problem, except that I need to drive into NY City for some errands.

I have no problem stopping at the hotel (just outside NYC) and dropping off my firearm there, running my errand, and then returning to the hotel. Since I cannot go into NY City (legally) with my firearm, I will need to stow them in the hotel.

As far as I know there is no safe in the guest rooms. Does anyone have any suggestions on how/where to temporarily stow them?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    What I've done is disassemble the firearm and placed the receiver only in the hotel's safe and locking the rest (slide, mag etc) in the trunk of my car.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

check with the concierge they may safes they you can use.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Buy a ZipLoc freezer bag...sack it up, and put it in the toilet tank. If you have a Glock, just put it in the toilet tank and take the magazine/ammo with you. Nobody will ever look there. Trust me, and yes.....I'm serious. You can dry and clean your pistol later....or if you have a Glock, when you get home. I'm so serious on this. Trust me.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Buy a ZipLoc freezer bag...sack it up, and put it in the toilet tank. If you have a Glock, just put it in the toilet tank and take the magazine/ammo with you. Nobody will ever look there. Trust me, and yes.....I'm serious. You can dry and clean your pistol later....or if you have a Glock, when you get home. I'm so serious on this. Trust me.
    Have you seen the show It Takes a Thief? The good ones check the freezer and the toilet.

However, based the quality of the cleaning I've seen in most of the hotel rooms I get; housekeeping most certianly doesn't.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Hold my beer and watch this………..:)

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    What I've done is disassemble the firearm and placed the receiver only in the hotel's safe and locking the rest (slide, mag etc) in the trunk of my car.
    This is not a bad idea Gunny, but, if I get stopped in NYC they would probably hassle me for just having the receiver in the car!

Buy a ZipLoc freezer bag...sack it up, and put it in the toilet tank.
    This too is a good idea, but as soon as I return to the hotel from NYC, I will need to retrieve my gun. If something happened, and it got wet, I would not have time (or the equipment) to clean it!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Jon, hotels provide safes for customers traveling with valuables. They won't guarantee the safety of valuables left in guest room safes. Even those provided by the hotel. But they do guarantee the safety of items left in the house safe. Call them up on the phone.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    This is not a bad idea Gunny, but, if I get stopped in NYC they would probably hassle me for just having the receiver in the car!

This too is a good idea, (RamRod) but as soon as I return to the hotel from NYC, I will need to retrieve my gun. If something happened, and it got wet, I would not have time (or the equipment) to clean it!
    The only toilet tank checkers are in the movies. I'm still serious. Clean it? How does the bed sheet and a ball point pen do you for a barrel swab? If you have to be away from your pistol, and going into uncharted territory, then you're essentially 'out in the field'. On one hand I want to say there would be few worries with the Glock, on the other hand, if Glock didn't exist, then whatever I had with me at the time would still be good to go after an accidental bath short term. If you've got a hair dryer with you, that might be good. You can use your hand end of your toothbrush and a tissue or toilet paper for a bore swab.
    Listen...in the movies, they always check behind the return air HVAC vent because that's where they always hide them (in the movies). You're out of town and outside the 'box'. Think according to conditions. If it were me, I probably wouldn't even leave Mr pistol alone. Trunk of rental car, duct tape it to the engine, etc. Outside the box is where we become creative. Six sides and eight corners suck to be honest.

VIP Member
    Nope, the receiver is in the safe.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Jon, hotels provide safes for customers traveling with valuables. They won't guarantee the safety of valuables left in guest room safes. Even those provided by the hotel. But they do guarantee the safety of items left in the house safe. Call them up on the phone.
    I understand that, but I am a little reluctant to place a firearm in the hotel safe, unless I can "package it up" somehow, so it's not obvious as to what it is.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I understand that, but I am a little reluctant to place a firearm in the hotel safe, unless I can "package it up" somehow, so it's not obvious as to what it is.
    Now you're coming around. You and I are a lot alike. I don't trust anyone completely. Just keep it off the flapper, and out of the way of the chain....even the water-savers have enough room in the tank.

...Trunk of rental car, duct tape it to the engine
    My own car, not a rental. Can't be in NYC with it. And LOL on duct taping it to the engine! I guess you've never driven up Broadway in NYC! The potholes would jar it loose in a minute!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Do just that...get a small FedEx box and fill a label out to yourself at your home address. Seal the gun (or just receiver) in the box and ask the front desk to put the pkg in the safe while you are away, with clear instructions they are not to give the pkg to the FedEx driver. When you return, just ask for your pkg back.
    Proud NRA member

My own car, not a rental. Can't be in NYC with it. And LOL on duct taping it to the engine! I guess you've never driven up Broadway in NYC! The potholes would jar it loose in a minute!
    Your right...it's been a while since I've been up Broadway in NYC. I wasn't old enough to drive then. Your own car........... what's wrong with breaking it down into pieces then. I would tell you where to put the pieces, but that would sound too much like we are on the lamb and doing something criminal. Smuggling is what drug dealers do....you're a law abiding citizen if I know you a little bit. There's plenty of room behind the door panels in your car. Slide it in over the springs under the passenger seat? You know what I'm getting at here. Where there's a will, there's a way, and you don't necessarily have to be going against the laws while keeping your property with you. There are no problems without solutions.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links