Taurus 709 Carry Report

Taurus 709 Carry Report

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 Carry Report within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been carrying the 709 for about a week now and have to say that this thing is a dream to carry. I am ...

Thread: Taurus 709 Carry Report

Taurus 709 Carry Report

So I've been carrying the 709 for about a week now and have to say that this thing is a dream to carry. I am currently carrying it in a Highnoon skin guard which I have to admit I like it better then I thought I would. I ordered because it was a stocking item and wanted to get it quick. I'll probably keep carrying with it because it's incredibly thin and light. This fits very well with the Taurus 709. I also have a crossbreed quikclip on order for deep concealment.

Take a look at the attached pictures. I actually think I could pull off carrying the 709 OWB year round. I included a picture wearing a t-shirt and while when I twist at the torso there is a bit of printing but nothing that really says GUN!!!! With size of a lot of smart phones that people carry on their belts I don't think anyone would really think twice about it.

I also added a Hogue jr grip. The texturing on the handle bothered my hand hand during etended range sessions but the grip helps quite a bit with comfort.
    Attached Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Thanks for the report. That is the one my wife is leaning towards most for her carry. We can't find any to rent around here though... I'd really like for her to shoot it before we take the plunge and get it for her. She really likes the feel of it from fondling it at the local Bass Pro.

You haven't pinched your palm when trying to insert a mag yet have ya? The last time she was checking it out at Bass Pro... when the guy was about to put it back in the display he inserted the mag... got his skin pinched between the mag and grip and dropped it very forcefully and loudly on the glass display case. I'm surprised it didn't break the glass as hard as he dropped it. Anyways... that made her wonder if it was just his silly mistake or if people were prone to getting pinched there. Other than that scare... she is really interested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by brobar View Post
    Thanks for the report. That is the one my wife is leaning towards most for her carry. We can't find any to rent around here though... I'd really like for her to shoot it before we take the plunge and get it for her. She really likes the feel of it from fondling it at the local Bass Pro.

You haven't pinched your palm when trying to insert a mag yet have ya? The last time she was checking it out at Bass Pro... when the guy was about to put it back in the display he inserted the mag... got his skin pinched between the mag and grip and dropped it very forcefully and loudly on the glass display case. I'm surprised it didn't break the glass as hard as he dropped it. Anyways... that made her wonder if it was just his silly mistake or if people were prone to getting pinched there. Other than that scare... she is really interested in it.
    I haven't had the palm pinching issue and I have practiced speed reloads. The key is to just keep your hand flat when you insert the mag. Don't curly your fingers towards the handle once the top of the mag is in.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    looking good there
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

This gun still intrigues me but, I am wary or Taurus guns.....even though I own several, the youngest is 8 years old. I just keep hearing from some folks that their quality has slipped in the last few years. But I am still interested in this gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I checked out one of the 709s the other day and I'd say, it's a nice little 9mm. Priced right, fit and finish is excellent. Looks like a really good buy IMO. looks to be a pretty easy to carry pistol too. I really like the DO SA trigger, and the sights on the pistol.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    This gun still intrigues me but, I am wary or Taurus guns.....even though I own several, the youngest is 8 years old. I just keep hearing from some folks that their quality has slipped in the last few years. But I am still interested in this gun.
    I will admit. Taurus does let a few more lemons out the door then some of the other companies do. But with that being said the pistol comes with a lifetime warranty so regardless they will always make it right.

For what it's worth, I just got mine, cleaned it thoroughly (I mean every last little bit of white packing grease, don't rush the process), and put 50 rounds of Blazer Brass through it flawlessly. Just all around excellent in my opinion.

Taurus can be hit or miss; mine is a great first handgun. I had one issue with mine, but it's worked flawlessly since. I'm happy with the look, feel, and accuracy of mine, but I'll probably get a glock next :).

Btw, that's a sweet 709 you got there!

VIP Member
    Looks good... I think you could get by with OWB year round...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I don't think you'll have any problem OWB year round. I carry the Kahr CW9 OWB in a UBG Regulator under just a t-shirt, no problem. Lay the 709 on top of the CW9 and you see they are just about the exact same dimensions. Looking at your photos and with my similar experience, I think you'll be fine carrying the rig with summer clothes.

Enjoy that 709. The neighbor has one and carries it all the time, trouble-free gun for him.

Took my 709 to the range yesterday for the first time. Quite please with accuracy at 7 and 15 mark. What I was not expecting is the 'trigger travel' (for lack of a better term) - the amount of slack there was between tacking up the slack and it pistol actually firing. One the first round of the first mag, I thought I had a FTF. I realized I had not pulled the trigger ALLLLL the way back. Anyone else have similar experience?

Looks great…I usually pocket carry my PM9 but that looks very nice and has me thinking about it.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by dahed View Post
    Took my 709 to the range yesterday for the first time. Quite please with accuracy at 7 and 15 mark. What I was not expecting is the 'trigger travel' (for lack of a better term) - the amount of slack there was between tacking up the slack and it pistol actually firing. One the first round of the first mag, I thought I had a FTF. I realized I had not pulled the trigger ALLLLL the way back. Anyone else have similar experience?
    Common on polymer-framed guns. If it were a rifle, you'd call it a two-stage trigger.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Sponsored Links