Taurus 709 Carry Report

Taurus 709 Carry Report

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 Carry Report within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been carrying the 709 for about a week now and have to say that this thing is a dream to carry. I am ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Taurus 709 Carry Report

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007

    Taurus 709 Carry Report

    So I've been carrying the 709 for about a week now and have to say that this thing is a dream to carry. I am currently carrying it in a Highnoon skin guard which I have to admit I like it better then I thought I would. I ordered because it was a stocking item and wanted to get it quick. I'll probably keep carrying with it because it's incredibly thin and light. This fits very well with the Taurus 709. I also have a crossbreed quikclip on order for deep concealment.

    Take a look at the attached pictures. I actually think I could pull off carrying the 709 OWB year round. I included a picture wearing a t-shirt and while when I twist at the torso there is a bit of printing but nothing that really says GUN!!!! With size of a lot of smart phones that people carry on their belts I don't think anyone would really think twice about it.

    I also added a Hogue jr grip. The texturing on the handle bothered my hand hand during etended range sessions but the grip helps quite a bit with comfort.
    Attached Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...


  2. #2
    Member Array brobar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    229
    Thanks for the report. That is the one my wife is leaning towards most for her carry. We can't find any to rent around here though... I'd really like for her to shoot it before we take the plunge and get it for her. She really likes the feel of it from fondling it at the local Bass Pro.

    You haven't pinched your palm when trying to insert a mag yet have ya? The last time she was checking it out at Bass Pro... when the guy was about to put it back in the display he inserted the mag... got his skin pinched between the mag and grip and dropped it very forcefully and loudly on the glass display case. I'm surprised it didn't break the glass as hard as he dropped it. Anyways... that made her wonder if it was just his silly mistake or if people were prone to getting pinched there. Other than that scare... she is really interested in it.

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by brobar View Post
    Thanks for the report. That is the one my wife is leaning towards most for her carry. We can't find any to rent around here though... I'd really like for her to shoot it before we take the plunge and get it for her. She really likes the feel of it from fondling it at the local Bass Pro.

    You haven't pinched your palm when trying to insert a mag yet have ya? The last time she was checking it out at Bass Pro... when the guy was about to put it back in the display he inserted the mag... got his skin pinched between the mag and grip and dropped it very forcefully and loudly on the glass display case. I'm surprised it didn't break the glass as hard as he dropped it. Anyways... that made her wonder if it was just his silly mistake or if people were prone to getting pinched there. Other than that scare... she is really interested in it.
    I haven't had the palm pinching issue and I have practiced speed reloads. The key is to just keep your hand flat when you insert the mag. Don't curly your fingers towards the handle once the top of the mag is in.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  4. #4
    VIP Member
    Array gunthorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    home office
    Posts
    2,355
    looking good there
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,134
    This gun still intrigues me but, I am wary or Taurus guns.....even though I own several, the youngest is 8 years old. I just keep hearing from some folks that their quality has slipped in the last few years. But I am still interested in this gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    7,072
    I checked out one of the 709s the other day and I'd say, it's a nice little 9mm. Priced right, fit and finish is excellent. Looks like a really good buy IMO. looks to be a pretty easy to carry pistol too. I really like the DO SA trigger, and the sights on the pistol.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    This gun still intrigues me but, I am wary or Taurus guns.....even though I own several, the youngest is 8 years old. I just keep hearing from some folks that their quality has slipped in the last few years. But I am still interested in this gun.
    I will admit. Taurus does let a few more lemons out the door then some of the other companies do. But with that being said the pistol comes with a lifetime warranty so regardless they will always make it right.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  8. #8
    New Member Array randyg711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3
    For what it's worth, I just got mine, cleaned it thoroughly (I mean every last little bit of white packing grease, don't rush the process), and put 50 rounds of Blazer Brass through it flawlessly. Just all around excellent in my opinion.

  9. #9
    Member Array sddykstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    74
    Taurus can be hit or miss; mine is a great first handgun. I had one issue with mine, but it's worked flawlessly since. I'm happy with the look, feel, and accuracy of mine, but I'll probably get a glock next :).

    Btw, that's a sweet 709 you got there!

  10. #10
    VIP Member
    Array TX-JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    5,739
    Looks good... I think you could get by with OWB year round...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

    Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

  11. #11
    Member Array rico68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    146
    I don't think you'll have any problem OWB year round. I carry the Kahr CW9 OWB in a UBG Regulator under just a t-shirt, no problem. Lay the 709 on top of the CW9 and you see they are just about the exact same dimensions. Looking at your photos and with my similar experience, I think you'll be fine carrying the rig with summer clothes.

    Enjoy that 709. The neighbor has one and carries it all the time, trouble-free gun for him.

  12. #12
    New Member Array dahed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dahlonega,Ga
    Posts
    7
    Took my 709 to the range yesterday for the first time. Quite please with accuracy at 7 and 15 mark. What I was not expecting is the 'trigger travel' (for lack of a better term) - the amount of slack there was between tacking up the slack and it pistol actually firing. One the first round of the first mag, I thought I had a FTF. I realized I had not pulled the trigger ALLLLL the way back. Anyone else have similar experience?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array harley2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    1,046
    Looks great…I usually pocket carry my PM9 but that looks very nice and has me thinking about it.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array Majorlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Naugatuck, CT
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by dahed View Post
    Took my 709 to the range yesterday for the first time. Quite please with accuracy at 7 and 15 mark. What I was not expecting is the 'trigger travel' (for lack of a better term) - the amount of slack there was between tacking up the slack and it pistol actually firing. One the first round of the first mag, I thought I had a FTF. I realized I had not pulled the trigger ALLLLL the way back. Anyone else have similar experience?
    Common on polymer-framed guns. If it were a rifle, you'd call it a two-stage trigger.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. New to me Taurus TCP (range report)
    By HKing in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 16th, 2011, 11:32 PM
  2. Taurus TCP range report
    By sisco in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 14th, 2010, 06:44 PM
  3. Range Report: Taurus PT 24/7 Pro .45 acp..
    By jaidedeye in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: January 6th, 2009, 11:48 PM
  4. Taurus Mil Pro Range report
    By centermass in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 7th, 2008, 04:08 AM
  5. My new Taurus 24/7 Pro Range report
    By SCOTTY in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 27th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Search tags for this page

concealed carry 709 pics

,

taurus 709 carry

Click on a term to search for related topics.