Notified for the first time tonight

This is a discussion on Notified for the first time tonight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like a very professional cop working a "Communist Checkpoint"..."Your papers please?" OMO...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notified for the first time tonight

Sounds like a very professional cop working a "Communist Checkpoint"..."Your papers please?"
    OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Glock23MI View Post
    Hopefully they were a little more thorough than that with all the other drivers. I guess just asking would give them enough info for someone who's really trashed, but it seems a simple "no" to their question was enough for you.
    If you had some free time, you should have answered, "No, but my buddy here with his hands on the dash is pretty tanked...i'm his DD tonight".
    They enjoy a good laugh too.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sounds like a very professional cop working a "Communist Checkpoint"..."Your papers please?"
    OMO
    so now dui check points are Communist? This line of thought is getting to be B.S.

If it puts one of the many drunk idiots in jail then I don't see the problem. Have that many of you all have something to hide, aren't we all law abiding citizens?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    so now dui check points are Communist? This line of thought is getting to be B.S.

If it puts one of the many drunk idiots in jail then I don't see the problem. Have that many of you all have something to hide, aren't we all law abiding citizens?
    I believe what they're referring to is the fact that he's being stopped for no reason, and since he has to produce his permit and license and inform the officer(when he's done nothing that would make them stop him under normal circumstances), that comparing it to the old communist soviet union is appropriate.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    I believe what they're referring to is the fact that he's being stopped for no reason, and since he has to produce his permit and license and inform the officer(when he's done nothing that would make them stop him under normal circumstances), that comparing it to the old communist soviet union is appropriate.
    There is nothing wrong with DUI checkpoints, and there is nothing wrong with "must notify" laws either, though they are a bit stupid (its hard to find legislation that isn't at least a little bit stupid).

Just as a note to other NC - the OP did it exactly right. You MUST NOTIFY immediately. You cannot wait till he is at your window and just hand him your permit.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Sounds like a responsible boy you're raising there...

Yes, it might seem odd or excessive (I'd probably have my son just put his hands on his knees), but it makes a good habit. LEO's deal with criminals all the time, and are always at risk. I think making them feel a little more comfortable is the least we could do.

It's the same reason I never put my hands in my pocket while talking to an LEO (in an "official" conversation)...

VIP Member
    Your son is learning safe habits, although I agree that hands on knees would suffice. When in the car, of course it's empty hands on the wheel. In public it's empty hands by your side. Always make eye contact with and smile at the officer at first encounter, and disclose whatever the law requires. Never move your hands without acknowledgment or permission. It's just safer for you when the LEO feels you're concerned with his safety. It's not paranoia, just common sense in a communist society. Whatever happened to probable cause?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

You know they notify the public in advance were them check points are, Even
    if it in the back section of the newspapper ; ) PS Good job went smooth IMO
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I had a similar situation (not a DUI checkpoint) where I was pulled over for speeding on a country road. 50 in a 30 (didn't realize it was a 30 zone). When the officer approached my truck, I gave him my license and carry permit at the same time. I did this as a courtesy (not sure if TN is a disclosure state or not). After he ran my info, he gave me a warning and thanked me for disclosing.
    I am sure that disclosing helped the situation for me.
    Dave R.
    Retired Navy GMC(SW)
    "Remember the Cole"

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired GMC View Post
    (not sure if TN is a disclosure state or not).
    Wow..um... that should be something you know...

VIP Member
    Handgunlaw.us says TN is NOT a disclosure state. You'll have to verify this yourself. I'm just trying to be helpful, not sarcastic.

-Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Wow..um... that should be something you know...
    I feel that it is a courtesy to inform a LEO if you are carrying if he pulls you over. It is for your safety and theirs. As soon as he runs your info in TN, he will find out. And if you didn't disclose he is going to wonder what you are hiding.
    And just found out via another site that TN is a disclosure state.
    "it's also vital that permit holders know that they have to immediately inform law enforcement officials that they're carrying a weapon if their vehicle or boat is stopped for any reason."
    Dave R.
    Retired Navy GMC(SW)
    "Remember the Cole"

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    If it takes a stupid drunk off the road......I'm all for check points. One of my very good friends was killed by a drunk driver. Call it what you want, but I call it catching an idiot. After all....I don't have a single thing to hide. If you're legal, what's the problem?
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I think he was cute as a button with his hands on the dash. He was being a little man and following the dad. Nothing wrong with that.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired GMC View Post
    And just found out via another site that TN is a disclosure state.
    "it's also vital that permit holders know that they have to immediately inform law enforcement officials that they're carrying a weapon if their vehicle or boat is stopped for any reason."
    TN Code 39-17-1351 (n) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (n)(2), a permit issued pursuant to this section shall be good for four (4) years and shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns that the permit holder legally owns or possesses. The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit ON DEMAND of a law enforcement officer.

This means non disclosure unless asked. Check to see if the law has changed. It's good form to be up front about it, anyway. You have to be very carefull with information given on forums, including my $.02.

-Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links