Notified for the first time tonight

This is a discussion on Notified for the first time tonight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gunthorp Your son is learning safe habits, although I agree that hands on knees would suffice. When in the car, of course ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notified for the first time tonight

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Your son is learning safe habits, although I agree that hands on knees would suffice. When in the car, of course it's empty hands on the wheel. In public it's empty hands by your side. Always make eye contact with and smile at the officer at first encounter, and disclose whatever the law requires. Never move your hands without acknowledgment or permission. It's just safer for you when the LEO feels you're concerned with his safety. It's not paranoia, just common sense in a communist society. Whatever happened to probable cause?
    Sounds like the Bruce Springsteen song, 41 Shots.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    If it takes a stupid drunk off the road......I'm all for check points. One of my very good friends was killed by a drunk driver. Call it what you want, but I call it catching an idiot. After all....I don't have a single thing to hide. If you're legal, what's the problem?
    Are you a cop? Cuz thats pretty routine when they want to get you to authorize a search, or are questioning you. "If you havnt done anything wrong you have nothing to worry about."

Books have been written on why you shouldnt be so quick to give up your rights.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    No I'm not a cop....never have been.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jblack44 View Post
    Welcome to Amerika...

Not a fan of random infringement on your Rights :(

yeah, they tried that here in Mi. back in the late 70's and it DID NOT FLY WELL with the populace.

About all they do now is random seatbelt check, Looking in the cars as they pass by

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Sounds like a responsible boy you're raising there...

Yes, it might seem odd or excessive (I'd probably have my son just put his hands on his knees), but it makes a good habit. LEO's deal with criminals all the time, and are always at risk. I think making them feel a little more comfortable is the least we could do.

It's the same reason I never put my hands in my pocket while talking to an LEO (in an "official" conversation)...
    Oh thank God for this and some other posts that didnt wreak of delusional paranoia.

I cant believe some of the asinine posts I was reading here about the son putting his hands on the dash as if the cops were about to pistol whip the kid if he didnt.
    Good grief folks, a LEO ISNT INFRINGING ON OUR RIGHTS if WE DECIDE to go the extra mile to make him more at ease....even if that is our son practicing what he hopefully will be one day anyway when he gets his CC license.

The more I read gun related forums the more Im starting to feel like I want very little to do with a LOT of gun owners. Between the paranoia and the Rambo complex's Ive had just about my fill of paranoid logic about 'infringement' where none has occurred.

TO THE OP...
    GREAT job !
    Sounds like youre doing a wonderful job raising your son to be a responsible adult who understands that LEOs are just people to.

BlueNinjaGo and some others...
    THANK you for being a reasonable, level headed person, along with others who are here, and giving encouragement where it is due.

Nice post OP. good out come.

But if the object is to stop DWI at the check point why not set up outside the bar, before the driver gets down the road.
    I,m not a fan of give me your papers....

Well, that was pretty uneventful! Which is the way it should be.

Kid with hands on dash gave me a laugh
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    Between the paranoia and the Rambo complex's Ive had just about my fill of paranoid logic about 'infringement' where none has occurred.
    Label it paranoia if you want but some of us value our rights and don't feel that anyone else can infringe upon them. I'm of the camp that NO government is the best government and that we as people can get along without "the law" forcing us to do something.

-When there is authority there is no freedom.
    Last edited by Stratispho; October 20th, 2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: clarity/ erased double word

Quote Originally Posted by Stratispho View Post
    Label it paranoia if you want but some of us value our rights and don't feel that anyone else can infringe upon them.
    There is NO 'infringement' when we WILLINGLY offer compliance above and beyond what a LEO asks or is required.
    It is paranoia that Im seeing on LOT of forums. Though this forum isnt nearly as bad as many that Ive been on that have been more hunting oriented.

I'm of the camp that NO government is the best government and that we as people can get along without "the law" forcing us to do something.
    uh..you DO understand, I hope, that the 'government' is something WE established 200+ years ago, right ?
    We need to get the corruption out of government, for certain, but our government was built by men who were trying to set it up so we could put LEADERS into place who would do the will of the people.

Law, by its very nature, 'forces' men to do what it requires.
    The law is supposed to force men to do what decent people would have them do.
    The criminal should be 'forced' to stop killing, robbing, raping and stealing. That is what the law is supposed to do. The law that we, in essence, create by voting in men whom we choose to lead.

You do realize that those bad guys we're all so worried about would be entirely out of control if not for 'the law', even in its present state ?
    You seem to be assuming that we're ALL just going to play nice if there is no gov't and no law.
    Lets not be so naive. It would be worse than living in the middle east or hell.

Government is supposed to be on our side, not our enemy.
    We need to stop seeing them AS the enemy and start working to make them accountable for doing wrong while they represent us.
    We need to stop treating LEOs who are putting their lives on the line every day enforcing laws created by those WE vote into office to make those laws.

Certainly there are bad cops out there. There are bad judges, bad congressmen and terribly inept presidents who need their arses steel-toe booted back to Arkansas or Chicago or wherever it is that the cave they crawed out of is at.

The vile men who abuse their positions of authority need to be weeded out and have their places stripped from them. But we really have to stop pretending like government is the enemy or that law enforcement is.
    A few bad men dont make the entities themselves evil.
    Just as a few bad guys with guns dont make ALL gun owners criminals..

what are ya some kind of anarchist ?
    So let me get this straight. You are against authority, right ?
    And so this means that, what... criminals should not face 'authority' either?
    Rapists and men who kill old women for their purses should just be able to run around maiming at will because you feel like 'authority' is infringing on you somehow ?

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    There is NO 'infringement' when we WILLINGLY offer compliance above and beyond what a LEO asks or is required.
    It is paranoia that Im seeing on LOT of forums. Though this forum isnt nearly as bad as many that Ive been on that have been more hunting oriented.

uh..you DO understand, I hope, that the 'government' is something WE established 200+ years ago, right ?
    We need to get the corruption out of government, for certain, but our government was built by men who were trying to set it up so we could put LEADERS into place who would do the will of the people.

Law, by its very nature, 'forces' men to do what it requires.
    The law is supposed to force men to do what decent people would have them do.
    The criminal should be 'forced' to stop killing, robbing, raping and stealing. That is what the law is supposed to do. The law that we, in essence, create by voting in men whom we choose to lead.

You do realize that those bad guys we're all so worried about would be entirely out of control if not for 'the law', even in its present state ?
    You seem to be assuming that we're ALL just going to play nice if there is no gov't and no law.
    Lets not be so naive. It would be worse than living in the middle east or hell.

Government is supposed to be on our side, not our enemy.
    We need to stop seeing them AS the enemy and start working to make them accountable for doing wrong while they represent us.
    We need to stop treating LEOs who are putting their lives on the line every day enforcing laws created by those WE vote into office to make those laws.

Certainly there are bad cops out there. There are bad judges, bad congressmen and terribly inept presidents who need their arses steel-toe booted back to Arkansas or Chicago or wherever it is that the cave they crawed out of is at.

The vile men who abuse their positions of authority need to be weeded out and have their places stripped from them. But we really have to stop pretending like government is the enemy or that law enforcement is.
    A few bad men dont make the entities themselves evil.
    Just as a few bad guys with guns dont make ALL gun owners criminals..

what are ya some kind of anarchist ?
    So let me get this straight. You are against authority, right ?
    And so this means that, what... criminals should not face 'authority' either?
    Rapists and men who kill old women for their purses should just be able to run around maiming at will because you feel like 'authority' is infringing on you somehow ?
    Good post
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jblack44 View Post
    Welcome to Amerika...

Not a fan of random infringement on your Rights :(
    Random infringement? He volunteered the information, he could have played it on the edge and said nothing about it. In NC you must notify sure, but so what? What are YOU afraid of?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Wow..um... that should be something you know...
    A LOT of people notify anyway because an officer that knows the situation is better than a gun in your ear when they notice and you didn't tell them.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratispho View Post
    Label it paranoia if you want but some of us value our rights and don't feel that anyone else can infringe upon them. I'm of the camp that NO government is the best government and that we as people can get along without "the law" forcing us to do something.

Since when is asking you if you've been drinking forcing you to do something? Stopping for a minute is too much to ask of you? Sheesh...I'm sorry Mr. Donald Trump I'm inconveniencing you in order to add to the public safety at large so that YOU sir, YES YOU, may enjoy safe passage on the roadways and the freedoms you claim to hold dear. Believe me, without the LEOs that do a fabulous job, you'd have more restrictions on the federal level.

WAAAA but I had to stop...

WAAA but I want to carry 50 guns and don't wanna tell anyone about it until I take on an LA gang single handedly

Ok that's extreme but lighten up people. It's their damn job to do these safety checks once in a while. Rugersp101 said it better than I ever could.

Stop and think about how each and every one of the LEOs who puts on a badge or a uniform is a target for those who would rather do them and others harm instead of fessing up that what they are doing in our society is wrong (drug dealers, gang violence, rape, murder, assault, robbery etc). How many stories have you heard about an LEO stopping someone for speeding or swirving strangely while driving down a city street. The officer wants to ask them a couple questions, maybe they could be lost and looking for an address hence the swerving. No, the dude in the car doesn't want a ticket so he shoots the cop or at the least shoots at him. That can happen to any LEO at any time. Bad guys don't care. For that reason, I care enough about the safety of the officer and his or her comfort level with the current situation that I will without hesitation volunteer the information to the officer about my CCW. If you see something wrong with that then remember this. It is your right to disagree with me, and also my right to call you an idiot.

Fair enough?
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Since when is asking you if you've been drinking forcing you to do something? Stopping for a minute is too much to ask of you? Sheesh...I'm sorry Mr. Donald Trump I'm inconveniencing you in order to add to the public safety at large so that YOU sir, YES YOU, may enjoy safe passage on the roadways and the freedoms you claim to hold dear. Believe me, without the LEOs that do a fabulous job, you'd have more restrictions on the federal level.

WAAAA but I had to stop...

WAAA but I want to carry 50 guns and don't wanna tell anyone about it until I take on an LA gang single handedly

Ok that's extreme but lighten up people. It's their damn job to do these safety checks once in a while. Rugersp101 said it better than I ever could.

Stop and think about how each and every one of the LEOs who puts on a badge or a uniform is a target for those who would rather do them and others harm instead of fessing up that what they are doing in our society is wrong (drug dealers, gang violence, rape, murder, assault, robbery etc). How many stories have you heard about an LEO stopping someone for speeding or swirving strangely while driving down a city street. The officer wants to ask them a couple questions, maybe they could be lost and looking for an address hence the swerving. No, the dude in the car doesn't want a ticket so he shoots the cop or at the least shoots at him. That can happen to any LEO at any time. Bad guys don't care. For that reason, I care enough about the safety of the officer and his or her comfort level with the current situation that I will without hesitation volunteer the information to the officer about my CCW. If you see something wrong with that then remember this. It is your right to disagree with me, and also my right to call you an idiot.

Fair enough?
    Not to mention operating a motor vehicle is a privilege not a right. If you choose to move about unimpeded, walk, that's your right.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Remember folks, like it or not but as a CCW holder we are held to a different standard than everyone else. In the eyes of many we are walking a thin line and at any time the tables could be swayed to the anti-2A crowd's favor. In order for that not to happen we must be willing to bend slightly in order to make LEOs and the political crowd comfortable with our carrying. I am not an LEO but I can only imagine the numerous scenarios that go through their mind every day when they go to work. Anything can happen out there.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links