How to legally carry in "No Firearms" areas

This is a discussion on How to legally carry in "No Firearms" areas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Of course this doesn't cover EVERY situation but something for you to think about. If you are a responsible person, want to do “the right ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to legally carry in "No Firearms" areas

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

How to legally carry in "No Firearms" areas

Of course this doesn't cover EVERY situation but something for you to think about.

If you are a responsible person, want to do “the right thing”, care about others and would like to be able to legally carry in places where sometimes you can’t….

I was a Reserve Police Officer in a small city for about 10 years (except for the time I was deployed to Iraq).

Full time officers appreciated my (and the others) being there with them on our own time. Instead of having to wait for backup – when they had a Reserve Officer with them – hey, backup was already there – no waiting….

This is voluntary – no pay for duty mind you – but – I found it to be very rewarding on a personal level and one of the “perks” that came with it was having the Police ID and being able to “carry” legally where normally it’d be illegal.

Example: Down here in Mobile Alabama, it’s a city policy for “no firearms” when at Mardi gras – but Police and Reserve Police are an exception to that.

Same might be true for State Fairs and/or other events in your area.

Again – just something to think about….
    Last edited by ArmyCop; October 16th, 2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Added content
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

I tried to volunteer as a 'Special' in my area about 10 years ago. But the police unions had put a stop to all volunteer policing.

Not sure if it was union greed or political correctness, probably a little bit of both. Some folks feel that only a "fully trained" officer should be out on patrol - and there is indeed some logic to that attitude. However, 'Specials' were only allowed to go out accompanied by experienced full-time officers.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Example: Down here in Mobile Alabama, it’s a city policy for “no firearms” when at Mardi gras
    Isn't against Alabama's preemption statute for a city to have a "no firearms" policy? I'm not trying to be argumentative but seeking to understand how the city of Mobile can make that rule.
    See below:

TITLE 11. COUNTIES AND MUNICIPAL
    CORPORATIONS.
    SUBTITLE 3. PROVISIONS APPLICABLE TO COUNTIES
    AND MUNICIPAL CORPORATIONS.
    CHAPTER 80. GENERAL PROVISIONS.
    § 11-45-1.1. Subject matter of handguns reserved to State Legislature;
    power of municipality to adopt certain ordinances; concurrent
    jurisdiction of municipal courts with district courts.
    No incorporated municipality shall have the power to enact any ordinance, rule, or
    regulation which shall tax, restrict, prevent, or in any way affect the possession or
    ownership of handguns by the citizens of this state. The entire subject matter of handguns
    is reserved to the State Legislature.
    This section shall not be construed to limit or restrict
    the power of a municipality to adopt ordinances which make the violation of a state
    handgun law a violation of a municipal ordinance to the same extent as other state law
    violations, or to limit or restrict the power of a municipal court to exercise concurrent
    jurisdiction with the district court over violations of state handgun laws which may be
    prosecuted as breaches of a municipal ordinance
    NRA life member.

Well Dakota, I don't have a quick answer for ya - but I've emailed one of my city cop friends about it and will post when I have someone to pass on.

interesting post, i guess it all depends on your state/municipal laws...we both know this ain't gonna happen where i'm from. :(
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

I had a friend that was a special, he was not allowed to carry. If he wanted to he had to flip the bill for going through the academy.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Well Dakota, I don't have a quick answer for ya - but I've emailed one of my city cop friends about it and will post when I have someone to pass on.
    Thanks. I'm in Mobile often and carry but have not been during Mardi Gras. It would be interesting to know how Mobile is getting around the state law on preemption. Thanks for checking with your LEO friend. (Just had a thought, maybe they "stretch" the "public demonstration" portion of the law to cover Mardi Gras)
    NRA life member.

With Reserves in my area - when ON duty they have to be with a full time officer but they wear all the same uniform and gear (firearm etc..) and can function same as the full time officer - just can't do the actual arrest. Training is either scheduled or during the shift - OJT kinda thing sometimes.

No academy required with most - sometimes they offer a weekend academy where you go each weekend for several months and get the same certification as the full time officers do.

mkh
    Armycop - that is the way reserves were done in Jacksonville Fl when I was one in the late '70s and early '80s.

Now I live in the next county and here reserves are required to ab state certified as a LEO. That is 720 hours in school with no promise of getting hired as they have a hiring freeze.

"Hiring" reserves seems weird to me but once hired you spend time with an FTO then you are in a patrol car by yourself when patrolling. Don't know if patrol is volunteer or paid.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I have SO considered becoming a Phoenix Reserve Officer for this very reason...my inlaws are in CA, of course they don't recognize my AZ permit but under LEOSA they are required to allow LEO to carry.

Phoenix has a reserve academy. It's 8 months of Tuesday and Thursday nights and all day on Saturday. Tempting...tempting.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I have SO considered becoming a Phoenix Reserve Officer for this very reason...my inlaws are in CA, of course they don't recognize my AZ permit but under LEOSA they are required to allow LEO to carry.

Phoenix has a reserve academy. It's 8 months of Tuesday and Thursday nights and all day on Saturday. Tempting...tempting.

IMO; The longer you wait and don't do it - the harder it'll be later & more regrets you'll have.

I say GO FOR IT.

AC, good post, And to anyone thinking to do it, go for it. As I have posted before, a lot depends on you local departments. It is great, fun and rewarding, but not for everyone. It takes time and can put a strain on the family. If anyone has any questions PM me and I will try to answer as best as I can.

Elect me sheriff and I’ll deputize anyone that has done the required training and has a valid CWP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post

Do it. More good heads and hearts to help the better.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Ok, Alabama has an ordinance about no firearms at public gatherings - that's what the Mardi gras thing is about. At least this is the answer I got from my City Cop friend. I'm federal and don't really know all the state and city laws in detail.

But as I mentioned before - a Reserve Police Officer - or Reserve Deputy can carry at these functions.
    Last edited by ArmyCop; October 18th, 2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Added content.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links