Worry about Printing or being Made

This is a discussion on Worry about Printing or being Made within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually carry a keltec p32, a .32 cal. I like small guns for convienence. I have bigger guns I could carry but I worry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I usually carry a keltec p32, a .32 cal. I like small guns for convienence. I have bigger guns I could carry but I worry about 'Printing' or being 'Made'. I would like to carry a bigger gun, but there always seems to be some problem associated carrying with bigger guns.

Recently, I saw an article about printing or being made here in Texas. The writer said the real idea behind 'Concealled' carry vs Open carry, was mainly a concern over Gun Retention. I guess civillians under 'Open' carry, not being trained in gun retention, would leave exposed guns with the potential of being grabbed and wrestled away. The writer said no one is arrested over a handgun being printed under clothing. Is this really so? Maybe I have not looked at enough Holster options. I have tried shoulder holsters too, which I like for Big guns. But all day long, and where one must remove the coat, just doesn't work out for me. So many CCW folks seem to tote the Big pieces, I guess maybe I need to look at better quality holsters. I sit more than I stand these days. Any Ideas?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I cannot comment about the printing laws in Tx. and I dont open carry so my advice ends here.

However, carrying a gun is a lifestyle, not a hobby. You need to learn to dress around the gun. Meaning, larger pants sizes and also shirts. Not knowing your work environment or dress requirements, I can say that there are alot of tuckable holsters out there that will allow you to dress just like any other sheep in the herd except be able to conceal a handgun of nominal size very easily. Again, you must learn to dress around the gun. I wear tuckables almost solely and I can dress in casual attire or business attire and not give away that I'm carrying a concealed handgun. I carry a 4" 1911 almost everyday with complete success and total concealment. I carry a slightly smaller gun in the summer to accomodate lighter clothing. It's all about choosing the right gun with the proper holster and wearing appropriate clothing. Check out all of the holster threads and direct links to the holster manufacturers on this site. It's a wealth of information as long as you dont allow it to spin your head. Your on the right track though, ask as many questions as you can, even visit the local gun shops and inquire with them as to their methods of carry. The more you carry a gun, the better you will learn to conceal it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

The holster makes all the difference when trying to conceal. The other large piece to that puzzle is "dressing around the gun" you'll hear that over and over again. If you wear tighter clothes then obviously trying to avoid printing is going to be tough. But with the right holster, shirt/slacks, belt combo you'll be able to make it work with plenty of different sized guns.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

I always carry a 1911. Usually a 4" Kimber, but have been looking at a true Commander from Nighthawk or Ed Brown. Here is Corpus Christi it gets very hot and humid. Today is beautiful and in the 70's, but yesterday had a heat index over 100º.

I wear suits, dress pants and button downs (untucked usually) or a nice pair of jeans with a nice fitted button down untucked or a t-shrt in the extreme heat. Nothing larger than normal size and NO specialized concealed carry clothing, it's just not for me and I doubt my clients would appreciate it.

I use a Milt Sparks Versa Max II and have no issues. I have a couple police officer and detective friends that I shoot with at IDPA and USPSA. Many times I've been at the convenience store in jeans and a t-shirt walking around a group of officers and in line. No problems at all.

Here's a couple pics I've posted before. Do what you feel is comfortable. if you don't make a big deal of it, most others won't either. Just be careful when you bend over and reach up.. Don't grab at it to make sure it's secure....if it's in a good holster, it is.

The only time it's really even noticeable is when I bend over in a t-shirt and I"m not careful about it.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

CYCLOPS.
    Hi! Am a good side guy and I've never printed even in very light clothing (T-shirt&jeans) . But I went to and overside shirt and larger pants with a custom made holster. And I carry G22 everwere I go.I carry IWB right under my arm which also helps hide the weapon. We up here in cold country ( Minnesota) have a very short printing season (summer) but it gets hot, and like I said I've never had a problem with printing!! I recommend checking out holsters too...

Later.
    Better to have and not need then to need and not have!!!!
    EDC G22+Clips=SECURITY

Although I care less than most people about printing because I am a LEO, the only time that I know I got made off duty was when I sat down during a time I was dealing with a car dealer for a new car for my wife. And I doubt I would have been made if I hadnt been sitting. IMO, most people wont notice people who are carrying. OMO, but JonConsiglio, I would question u in almost all the pictures u post because carrying looks common other than when u are wearing jacket. might only b my opinion.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

There are lots of good holsters out there that will definitely put your mind at ease about printing . Check out the Sponsors on this forum. They do great work, some real works of art.
    I am a fan of the Crossbreed Supertuck.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    OMO, but JonConsiglio, I would question u in almost all the pictures u post because carrying looks common other than when u are wearing jacket. might only b my opinion.
    Yes and no... You can tell in the t-shirt, but that was kind of my point. There's something there, but most won't have any clue what it is. As long as I carry myself accordingly, nobody will think anything of it.

You can't tell in the button down or jacket. I've never once been asked about it in the past 8 years, even with LEO behind me in line. Part of that may be a Texas thing, but I travel the country for my job and still never asked. I also am sure not to draw attention to myself by adjusting and checking it.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Texas laws are pretty straight forward. There is no 'Brandishing law', just a Disorderly Conduct charge; 'Displaying a firearm, or other deadly weapon, in a public place, in a manner calculated to alarm'. So a small amount of printing is not a big thing, it would only get attention if someone could completely make out the shape of your gun. As mentioned earlier, most folks are to caught up in their own world to notice you, much less pay attention to a small bulge under your shirt. Others would simply think it's a cell, PDA, or some other electronic device.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

As mentioned earlier, most folks are to caught up in their own world to notice you, much less pay attention to a small bulge under your shirt. Others would simply think it's a cell, PDA, or some other electronic device.
    Exactly. The biggest concern, IMO, is keeping the gun concealed (make sure your shirt-tail is down when you get out of the car). If the gun isn't immediately visible, there's only a bulge. Lots of people carry cell phones on the belt. Keeps the phones from being laundered, keeps them easily accessible when seated, etc.

I agree with what the other Texans have said. Unless you intentionally make it ridiculously obvious that you're carrying, nobody is going to notice. No matter how important you think you are in your own mind, the whole world is NOT staring at you 24/7.

Concealability is overrated and "printing" is almost a non-issue.
    People are way too wrapped up in their own lives to pay attention to any bulges under your clothes. Nobody’s looking for guns. They’re oblivious.

I've been carrying a gun daily here in Florida since 1988. It took quite a while for me to realize how little people see of what's happening around them. The fact is, unless you're a supermodel or on fire, no one will give you a 2nd look. Hell, they won't give you a 1st look.

I carried a M-29 Smith .44 Maggie in an OWB holster complete with 2 speedloaders under a Hawaiian shirt for a few weeks just for fun. The thing stuck out a mile. Felt like half a steel grapefruit hung on my belt. At 5'9" and 150 lbs, it was obvious as hell. No one noticed a thing.

I know it seems like there's a big Neon sign over your head that says, "GUN!!", but there isn't.

Relax.
    John
    Cape Canaveral

VIP Member
    I try not to print but... I never worry, if it happens so what?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry a full size XDm all day, everyday. I am a rather small guy too weighing in at 170ish pounds, 5'9". I rarely print. I carry both IWB and OWB in a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. I wear normal size jeans and a tee shirt most of the time and now, since its getting colder, a jacket. The holster does make it easier to conceal, however, its more for comfort. Its your clothing choices, and how you move and conduct yourself.

im 6'3 and 300lbs. i say 'SCREW IT". it it prints..then it prints. i could care less. not that i go around wearing the tightest clothing i can find, but im not going to get crazy about it. sometimess it plays a little peek-a-boo with the folks. if they cant handle it then they shouldnt have been looking at my azz... even thou i am a sexi mofo. at least that's what my wife says..lol

i switch between a G21 / XD9 / and a 5906
    jersey no more.. im a texan now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links