Minimum Carry Caliber vs Primary Carry Caliber

This is a discussion on Minimum Carry Caliber vs Primary Carry Caliber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Arisin Wind My surprise came that so many people are carrying above what they consider the minimum. I don't get it No ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimum Carry Caliber vs Primary Carry Caliber

Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    My surprise came that so many people are carrying above what they consider the minimum.
    I don't get it

No surprize here....Just because I think that the 380 is the lowest effective round that i would carry doesn't mean that I'm going to carry just that round. Why would anyone limit themselves to carry their minimum when they could carry above that? IMHO, I'm carrying whatever is going to give me the best chance to stop a threat. Without turning this into a ballistics battle and without going into all the other variables that leads us to our choice of carry like ammo/caliber/functionalities, I'm keeping it simple and in track with the poll and going with bigger is better, just like most everyone else.
    Bob

Glock 30sf Ruger LCP Remington 870 HD Hi-Point 995TS Sig 556

"I'm not Paranoid.....I'm Prepared"--SGT T

2. Remove Ads

IMO, Velocity in the smaller calibers is highly under rated. A .22 traveling at around 1200 fps is a good example. IMO, it's better than the larger .25 acp because it's traveling much faster than the slower, .25 acp. The .380 is for all intended purposes a 9mm. If a manufacturer can get this round up around 1000 fps using a JHP 90-100 gr bullet for expansion, you got a pretty good defense round in my book. That's why I consider the .38 and the .380 pretty much equal in there defense status. I would even say again, I prefer the .380 over the .38 due only to round count and reloads. I read somewhere that, it's the 1000 fps variable that makes or breaks the degree of expansion for most of the smaller caliber's. It makes sense to me, therefor I follow that mindset. For what's worth.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

That poll is much too general to be of much use. Besides, I don't decide what to carry from poll results. As for "minimum carry caliber", what "expert" decided this? No handgun caliber is a reliable stopper. Your carry gun/caliber will be a compromise of round count, fit/shootability,
    reliability, accuracy, concealability, and cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    That poll is much too general to be of much use. Besides, I don't decide what to carry from poll results. As for "minimum carry caliber", what "expert" decided this? No handgun caliber is a reliable stopper. Your carry gun/caliber will be a compromise of round count, fit/shootability,
    reliability, accuracy, concealability, and cost.
    I don't know what use the two polls have either besides giving a general idea of the respondents selections compared to others.

As for what "expert" decided minimum carry caliber each "expert" responding to that poll decided - and there were several hundred.

Your carry gun/caliber will be a compromise of round count, fit/shootability, reliability, accuracy, concealability, and cost.
    Now that would make an interesting poll. to see how people ranked these factors when choosing their EDC.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    My surprise came that so many people are carrying above what they consider the minimum.

I don't get it

No surprize here...
    My own thought was that more people would be carrying the 38/9mm class of weapons. I was wrong in my assumption. More people than I originally thought are carrying larger calibers than what they consider the minimum.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    I am scratching my head, trying to figure this one.

Minimum can be seen as right on the margin. What one actually uses can be seen as wanting a greater margin of safety/comfort/whatever.

I would not feel uncomfortable carrying .38 Special +P, or even a good, stout standard-pressure .38 Special, but prefer the greater terminal performance of the .357 mag, and am still able to tolerate reasonable doses of full-pressure magnum recoil. On a more practical level, I usually carry the same personally-owned .40 pistols I use at work, on duty.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I am scratching my head, trying to figure this one.

Minimum can be seen as right on the margin. What one actually uses can be seen as wanting a greater margin of safety/comfort/whatever.

I would not feel uncomfortable carrying .38 Special +P, or even a good, stout standard-pressure .38 Special, but prefer the greater terminal performance of the .357 mag, and am still able to tolerate reasonable doses of full-pressure magnum recoil. On a more practical level, I usually carry the same personally-owned .40 pistols I use at work, on duty.

As I said in the previous post I was wrong in that assumption.

I would not feel uncomfortable carrying .38 Special +P, or even a good, stout standard-pressure .38 Special, but prefer the greater terminal performance of the .357 mag, and am still able to tolerate reasonable doses of full-pressure magnum recoil.
    All the same caliber.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    .38 standard-pressure and +P may indeed be the same caliber as .357 mag, but they are worlds apart from the amount of damage the magnum can do to a person. Most handgun cartridges make pinpoint entry wounds, that weep just a bit of blood, and the exit wounds, contrary to Hollywood assertions, are often not much bigger. Yes, I have seen such wounds, in person. I have shot a hole through a living human with a full-pressure .357 125-grain Federal Classic, and the entrance would was bigger than most exit wounds I have seen, and was hosing the area with blood, and the blood plume on the pavement behind the bad guy was a sight to see. The main part of the bullet exited his armpit and entered his arm, where it stayed. (As he was a scrawny guy, I consider this to be the ideal amount of penetration, if translated to a bigger opponent.)

The weapon was a 4" Ruger GP100, not a long-tom hunting sixgun or a carbine, but this was damage like I had only previously seen inflicted on a human body by something like a .30-30 rifle. It is not just about the caliber. For that matter, there are 9.something-caliber rifle cartridges that will shoot right through an elephant.

My wife, who is a forensic investigator for one of the medical examiner of one of the largest counties in the USA, can relate the amazing amount of damage inflicted by a 357 SIG bullet at close range. (IIRC, 357 SIG bullets are actually .355 caliber.) She worked a case in which a detective shot a child molester at near-contact distance in the jaw, and the bullet tore a wide path of destruction well down into the chest cavity. A .380, also .355 caliber, would not have performed like that.

Just to be clear, I am not saying that we all need to carry 357, SIG or Magnum, to adequately poke sufficient holes into miscreants. But the more powerful rounds may well chop more voluminous wound channels, per shot, and that is a margin of comfort for me, as long as my increasingly feeble hands are able to handle the more powerful weapons.

"Stopping power" is a big white Crown Vic, with a big black push bumper, at 30+ MPH. Second choice is a 12 gauge shotgun, about .69 to .72 caliber.

VIP Member
    Stopping power is my wife saying "Go ahead, do whatever you want!"

Wow, here we go, velocity vs weight. Put me in the momentum column.

I think we pretty much agree that a 380 or 38 can work, and that the gauge is better, most of the more experienced among us will have a 45, 40, 357 on board at all possible times. My pocket mousegun is a 40. Those who feel satisfied with anything less might reconsider, hopefully before they run into a determined, drug crazed, prison buked up, compassionless pack of wolves.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links