Minimum Carry Caliber vs Primary Carry Caliber

This is a discussion on Minimum Carry Caliber vs Primary Carry Caliber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at the polls on the "minimum carry caliber" and "your primary carry caliber" and was wondering how many people are carrying at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Carry Caliber vs Primary Carry Caliber

I was looking at the polls on the "minimum carry caliber" and "your primary carry caliber" and was wondering how many people are carrying at or below the perceived minimum caliber.

Now this isn't scientific in any way. The two polls talk about caliber - bullet diameter but they list cartridges. One poll had a mixture of cartridges and calibers. I consolidated the data into calibers and looked at the results.

Almost 82% said the .355-.358 (.38/9mm) caliber was the minimum caliber they would carry. Looking at the primary carry numbers I found 60% are carrying at or below the perceived minimum caliber - .355-358. This also means 40% are carrying above the minimum. Kind of surprising and reassuring.

Better data can be had with better polling but this shows a sizable number of people are carrying above what the majority thinks is the minimum diameter bullet.

Remember, you can make numbers say anything you want.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

VIP Member
    Don't think it's a surprise.

Don't think there is a conflict.

My EDC is a .45.

My BUG is a .40

On rare occasion I drop down, for deeper concealment, with both the primary and/or BUG.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I agree... No surprise or conflict...
    I always carry either 9mm or .45... my wife .38+P all the time.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I agree... No surprise or conflict...
    I always carry either 9mm or .45... my wife .38+P all the time.
    +1 to that. No surprises in this data. people carry and prefer different things depending on different situations.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Using bullet diameter is not a good way to try and judge either. Remember the .355-.358 includes .380 ACP, .38 cal, .357 as well as the 9mm calibers. While a .380 may be someones minimum carry caliber, a 9mm could very easily be their EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Using bullet diameter is not a good way to try and judge either. Remember the .355-.358 includes .380 ACP, .38 cal, .357 as well as the 9mm calibers. While a .380 may be someones minimum carry caliber, a 9mm could very easily be their EDC.
    I don't know if it was you Archer that mentioned on the other thread about "its not the size but the whole cartridge". But if it was I agree with that.

I sometimes carry my 5.7x28mm pistol. Its outside diameter is equal to a .22...BUT...it travels at about 2100 fps. There are youtube video's of tests done through wet phone books that show the HP SS192 round expanding to almost .60 cal.

There is a whole lot to say about kinetic energy and yes...you need to look at the whole cartridge. You can pick up a rock and have it be 2.00 cal but if you can only throw it 30 fps...its really not effective.

Well, my minimum was the 9mm. I carry above the minimum now with the 40S&W G23. I seldom carry a BUG until climate allows for extra cover. Then I like to carry the same caliber in both primary and BUG such as the G23/G27.
    I also think the poll would be easier to decipher if the calibers were listed versus the bullet/bore diameters.

Uhm yes, the whole cartridge matters. There is a major difference between .380ACP and 9x19. Of course type matters as well.

Some effectiveness statistics based only on one-shot stops (yes this is a limited and not a full view of ballistic effectiveness) from this website:

Selection of best ammunition for a defensive handgun

A .380 ball ammo:
    Federal FMJ, 95 grains, has a 51% one shot stopping success.
    A .380 +P JHP:
    Cor-Bon +P JHP 90 grains 70%
    A 9x19 +P JHP:

Cor-Bon +P JHP 115 grains 91%

I said that my minimum caliber was a 9mm. I have yet to carry one. I always have carried either a 40S&W or 45ACP. I said 9mm only because its not a bad caliber and maybe one day I will carry a 9mm. I just dont own one.

VIP Member
    I carry .45ACP for primary and +P .38 in my BUG... both very adequate if I do my job!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    What are we trying to judge? There is no judging. The question asked was for minimum carry caliber and what is actually carried. The poll answers were given in cartridges. I grouped them into calibers to see what size hole puncher was being carried and what was the smallest hole puncher people thought they would carry.

In the example you give the person's EDC is the same caliber as their minimum carry. There is nothing wrong with that. 58% of the people's EDC is at the majority's minimum carry.

The only thing we're looking at is hole size - nothing else.

My surprise came that so many people are carrying above what they consider the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I also think the poll would be easier to decipher if the calibers were listed versus the bullet/bore diameters.
    Caliber is the bullet diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    Caliber is the bullet diameter.
    He meant the cartridge and I bet you knew that.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Primary EDC is always a .45, the secondary carry (rarely used) would be a .380...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    What retsupt99 said.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links