FLA non-resident permits no longer recognized by LA - Page 2

FLA non-resident permits no longer recognized by LA

This is a discussion on FLA non-resident permits no longer recognized by LA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get a PA permit....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FLA non-resident permits no longer recognized by LA

Get a PA permit.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Fortunately for me, they honor my resident Nevada permit. Too bad though, about Florida. I hate it when states start this practice of not honoring nonresident permits. I got Utah and Florida to give me the maximum number of states possible. It's been helpful, allowing me to carry on my trips back to Virginia. I would hate to have to get permits from each state.

Time to write NOLA's chamber of commerce and others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Fortunately for me, they honor my resident Nevada permit. Too bad though, about Florida. I hate it when states start this practice of not honoring nonresident permits. I got Utah and Florida to give me the maximum number of states possible. It's been helpful, allowing me to carry on my trips back to Virginia. I would hate to have to get permits from each state.
    Well squaker, I live about 60 miles from Nevada and they do not recognize my Utah, Idaho or Oregon permit.

Nevada is currently undergoing the same BS as the other States as they just revoked Utah's recip.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I know how this sucks, especially for Non-Resident FL people.

However, I live in WV, recently obtained a Non-Res NH permit, which BTW they don't recognize at all, only those states they have reciprocity with. WV and NH have no reciprocity, so even though I have a valid NH permit, I can't carry in that state simply because they issue but do not recognize. WV used to do that, but now they at least will recognize the non-resident permits of states WV recognizes, this includes FL.

The state to state laws just are not fair, but what do we do?
    I don't understand this statement. You have a NR permit from NH but can't carry there? This makes no sense. The primary purpose of having a NR permit is so NRs CAN carry in that state. Reciprocity has nothing to do with it. Reciprocity allows someone from state A to carry in state B without having a permit from state B. One has nothing to do with the other.

Connecticut does not recognize any state's permit, but anyone who holds a valid carry permit from another state can get a NR permit to carry here.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I think it's about money. They just want people to buy their non-resident permit.
    My understanding is La does not even issue non-res permits.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

VIP Member
    LA law said they would recognize any state's permit if that state recognized theirs. Evidently, since FL does not recognize a non-resident LA permit (if there is such a thing) then LA won't recognize a FL non-resident permit. Maybe there's some twisted logic here that only bureaucrats can fathom. Maybe it's the money, like in CO. In any event, I'm hoping that, in the future, more states will recognize my resident permit, so I don't have to go shopping all over the country. How can you 'splain the loss of tourism $$ to these controlling bubbas in power.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

there is no legal distinction in florida, between the issuance of licenses to residents and nonresidents, they are one in the same. (not legal advice) So i don't think the twisted logic works.

Does anyone know the La bill number?

Governor Jindal has always touted himself as being very pro gun. It will be interesting to see if he moves to change the action of his subordinate.

Pardons and expungement

A friend called LSP and the reasoning given to him was they revoked a man's LA permit but supposedly he could carry with his FL nonresident. This seems lame based on the revised statute R.S. 40:1379.3 part T (2) which says

(2) A nonresident concealed handgun permit issued by another state is invalid in the state of Louisiana if issued to an individual who as a resident of this state has been denied a handgun permit or has been issued a handgun permit which is under revocation or suspension.

Real reason...who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by jetmak2002 View Post

Does anyone know the La bill number?
    Thats the thing, this change is not the result of a passed & signed bill, to the best of our knowledge. Supposedly its an administrative decision by the Louisiana State Police. And per R.S. 40:1379.3(T)(1), the statute that I cited in my previous post, the State Police are not granted any delegated authority to pick-and-choose which out-of-state licenses will be recognized within Louisiana.

So in short, it would appear that this pronouncement by the Louisiana State Police is invalid, if not illegal.

Here's the document the LSP is hanging their hat on. I tried calling the AG, but couldn't get through.
    Attached Images

Called the LA AG and was told to call LSP. Callled them and the woman on the phone said the Colonel "has the right to change any law as he sees fit". Apparently the Colonel and the Sergeant were, at the time, in discussions with the legal department and were being inundated with calls. Hmmmmm. I then called the Governor's office, but they only took my name and phone number with a promise to get back to me. Next I called US Congressman Steve Scalise and emailed his assistant the letter above - was assured Rep Scalise is very adamant about 2nd Amendment rights. Welp, we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Called the LA AG and was told to call LSP. Callled them and the woman on the phone said the Colonel "has the right to change any law as he sees fit".
    Yup, that sounds like LSP to me! EVERYTHING is up to how the LSP interprets it in their little world and in their little minds.

Also sent emails with the letter to State Senator Martiny and a State Rep.
    Here's a copy of the RS I found:
    R.S. 40:1379.3 part T (1) which says

... A current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by another state shall be deemed to be valid within this state if a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by Louisiana is valid in those states. An out-of-state permit holder carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to this Paragraph is bound by the laws of this state regarding carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued in accordance with this Section.

and (2) which says:
    The deputy secretary of public safety services shall also have the authority to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states so that full-time active peace officers commissioned in another state shall have the same authority as a person issued a concealed handgun permit pursuant to this Section to carry a concealed handgun while in this state, regardless of whether or not they are in the official discharge of their duties, and full-time active law enforcement officers commissioned in this state shall have the authority to carry a concealed handgun in those states whether or not they are in the official discharge of their duties. An out-of-state law enforcement officer carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to this Paragraph is bound by the laws of this state regarding carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued in accordance with this Section.

I am not a lawyer, but part 2 seems to only give Col. Edmonson authority regarding reciprocity agreements in regards to full-time peace officers and part 1 applies to carry permit holders in general - regardless of whether the permit is a resident or non-resident permit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links