Surviving Disaster: Mall Shooting

This is a discussion on Surviving Disaster: Mall Shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I definitely found it slightly ridiculous, and don't think his approach would be all that realistic. Easy to stage stuff. Good points in the show: ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surviving Disaster: Mall Shooting

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I definitely found it slightly ridiculous, and don't think his approach would be all that realistic. Easy to stage stuff.

Good points in the show:

Fight, no matter what. Best case, you win, worst case, you die like you would anyway.

When you may encounter the police, do everything they say, and drop your weapon
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I definitely found it slightly ridiculous, and don't think his approach would be all that realistic. Easy to stage stuff.

Good points in the show:

Fight, no matter what. Best case, you win, worst case, you die like you would anyway.

When you may encounter the police, do everything they say, and drop your weapon
    Yup. A mix of wise info and hollywood style drama.

The reminder on finding and using emergency exits is very wise. Very wise indeed.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I liked it, but somethings were to military like. Lets just say i hope my group has hunters, or someone who has shot a gun before. I would not trust a stranger that has never shot a gun before to do that kind of stuff. Also to us the leap frog thing and some other stuff, once again ordinary people aren't going to understand what your telling them in a high stress situation. Covered alot of stuff though.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The fire exits were chained shut by the BGs to create a slaughterhouse. They were systematically clearing the commons, stores, and back halls. The only break the GGs got was that their BG encounter in the store wasn't a 2 man team.

Good show, tries to be realistic but it is entertainment, not a training video. They sure do go to some extremes in blowing stuff up and breaking things, especially considering the locations they film. Must have a good budget!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Haven't watched all of it yet, but just wanted to correct it: The mall shooting was at Westroads Mall here in Omaha, and the gunman was a mentally disturbed teenager, not a terrorist, that lived not too far from me.

Good video. Some very helpful information...but I would not have bothered with that improvised silencer. It was a critical shot to make, and the sound of the shot/shots would likely have been lost in all the other gun fire in the mall.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I've been watching this show since it started, and a lot of the information has been good. However, this episode was pretty off in my opinion. Besides the discussion of exiting through bay doors (because they're hard to barricade) and the statistic about making it past the first 10 seconds of a firefight, the rest was pretty lame.

Why attack a trained assailant with an automatic rifle? Especially in a large mall, dimly lit (due to power being out) with ample places to hide? Even if I couldn't get to an exit, I'm fairly certain I'd take my chances on hiding than overpowering a guy with a rifle. If he got close, then sure you've got to do something.

Secondly, if I did decide to overpower the guy with the rifle, I sure wouldn't be trying to make a silencer and attempt a headshot to make my escape. I'd hide and use the rifle if necessary. There are just too many places to hide in a large mall for a small team to clear it. Or I could even see taking the rifle back to the chain locked door and attempt to shoot the lock off. But I definitely would not be trying to play Rambo.

They showed the "team" scooting down the main hallway. Had one guy run out and grab a shopping bag. His shoe squeaked and the bag made all kinds of noise. The "sniper" should have easily heard and saw them coming down the pike, and for sure when the were rustling in a bag to make something to keep the noise down. LOL.

I understand the show is just that, a show. It's not training, but the previous shows I left with some good information. After this one, I was rolling my eyes for the most part. To each their own I guess.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I've seen the first two episodes (Office fire and plane hijacking) but haven't had a chance to watch the rest.

But yes, it's just a show. It just happens to have a few good tips here and there.

But let's look at the positive. This show might make more "sheep" wake up and start thinking about personal defense. This might help us get some more support from normally indecisive people.

Thanks for posting this.
    CZ 75 B
    DPMS AR 15
    CZ 453 American

Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    Or I could even see taking the rifle back to the chain locked door and attempt to shoot the lock off.
    Take a look at The Box O' Truth #5 - The Locks O' Truth - Page 1
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    This is from the last page..........

5. The rifles went through the locks with ease. It is obvious that you could "knaw" off the lock, little by little with a rifle, but a shotgun does it with one shot.

I'm not saying I could shoot a lock once and get it to come off, but I bet I could get one loose with a 20-30 round clip from an AK. Just my thoughts..........

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

VIP Member

Secondly, if I did decide to overpower the guy with the rifle, I sure wouldn't be trying to make a silencer and attempt a headshot to make my escape.
    Why the suppressor at all?

BG all spread out. Lots of shooting. What's one more shot?

I had lots of what the...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Great video!
    Thanks for the link
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Why the suppressor at all?

BG all spread out. Lots of shooting. What's one more shot?

I had lots of what the...

Agreed. I like when he said something to the effect of, "It will cover you sights, but minimize the sound......."

If I'm going to be attempting a head shot on an upstairs target in dim light, you can bet your behind I'll need my sights!

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

This is from the last page..........

5. The rifles went through the locks with ease. It is obvious that you could "knaw" off the lock, little by little with a rifle, but a shotgun does it with one shot.

I'm not saying I could shoot a lock once and get it to come off, but I bet I could get one loose with a 20-30 round clip from an AK. Just my thoughts..........
    Of that, I have no doubt!!!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links