Attorneys please respond!

This is a discussion on Attorneys please respond! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have some questions about getting some charges expunged and or sealed. pretty much When i was 17 i got a 5th degree drug charge(felony) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attorneys please respond!

I have some questions about getting some charges expunged and or sealed. pretty much When i was 17 i got a 5th degree drug charge(felony) which is still on my record and is listed as adjudicated withheld. If i were to get this charge expunged or sealed would i be accepted if i applied for a permit to carry??

2. Remove Ads

Since you're a new member I will just say, don't be discouraged if any attorney's are hesitant to give any free legal advice on a public forum such as this one.

Your best bet would be just go see a local attorney in your area. They may even give you a free consultation, or at least be extremely reasonable with their fee.

You can be much more specific as to the details of your case and would certainly be more familiar with your particular States laws.

Btw... I am not an attorney, but just wanted to let you know not to take it personal as a new member if you don't get a response to this request for legal advice.

But, you could get lucky. Just remember, this is a public forum with total anonymity so I would be hesitant to count on such advice.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Your best bet would be just go see a local attorney in your area. They may even give you a free consultation, or at least be extremely reasonable with their fee.
    Spot on mate.

VIP Member
    Be careful of the advice you get for free. It might just be worth what you paid for it!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

if it were me before i spent any money trying to find out i would make some phone calls to your AG office to see if it would be worth the time and money to get it taken care of

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Even offenses adjudicated as "youthful offender" and "sealed" will be scrutinized and looked at for purposes of determining eligibility for a concealed weapons permit.

This is not "legal advice" I am simply stating what I learned from a friend in NY who applied for a CCW permit but had committed criminal offenses as a teenager. He was NOT issued a CCW permit.
    Last edited by Siafu; October 17th, 2009 at 11:40 AM.

No responsible attorney will give free legal advice on the internet, and no advice from us will correctly apply to your case. I'll echo what's already been said: Contact your local AG or hire a personal attorney to look into this. Preferably find someone who is knowledgeable on the MN gun laws.

VIP Member
    In many cases the felony is reduced to a misdemeanor and your civil rights are restored. Then, some sheriffs in MN let you use an affidavit stating that you've been clean, sober, or mentally sound for the last two years. You could apply for a free permit to purchase to test the water. You should check with the court and it's records to find out the ultimate status of your case. Maybe the sheriff's office can help. Then seeking competent legal assistance could be an option, if something needs to be fixed. It's important that you are not prohibited from possessing a firearm or ammunition before you have one around or apply for a hunting license.

This post does not constitute legal advice, and is worth exactly 2 cents.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

#1 Hopefully you no longer use or sell illegal or legal drugs unless prescribed,carrying a firearm is a huge responsibility,like others have said contact a lawyer,I had a drug problem and misdemeanor arrest over 18 years ago,check with a lawyer and he can advise you on what you need to do
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm not an attorney but if I were I would not be forthcoming with free advice on the internet. As a non-attorney, frankly, I can't seem to drum up much sympathy for your plight. Sorry.

I wasnt asking for anyones sympathy. and yes since the night it happended i havent touched a drung and rarley drink alcohol. I look at myself as being more fit for having a permit to carry then a lot of the people i know who have one. And yes i have contacted my attorney but hes a very busy man and im just going a bit crazy while waiting for him to cantact me back. obviously none of you know much valuable info about my problem. dont mean to offend anyone but im just a little on edge about the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    As a non-attorney, frankly, I can't seem to drum up much sympathy for your plight. Sorry.
    wow, cut the guy some slack....we've all done stupid things when we were young probably yourself included

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Even offenses adjudicated as "youthful offender" and "sealed" will be scrutinized and looked at for purposes of determining eligibility for a concealed weapons permit.

This is not "legal advice" I am simply stating what I learned from a friend in NY who applied for a CCW permit but had committed criminal offenses as a teenager. He was NOT issued a CCW permit.
    "Expunged", "Sealed" or whatever only applies to searches conducted by the general public, like for jobs not requiring absolutely clean records such as electrician, clerk etc.

Searches for jobs requiring clean records such as LEO, teacher, defense worker requiring security clearances, financial positions etc. will absolutely show every offense you have ever been charged with, let alone convicted of.

Your entire record is available forever, to LE, the courts & any govt (local, state or federal) agency who needs to see it.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSRQ View Post
    wow, cut the guy some slack....we've all done stupid things when we were young probably yourself included
    If your list of stupid things done when young happens to include a criminal action such as a felony drug charge, it probably follows that you will have a problem getting a concealed carry permit. This is a fact of life and, IMO, as it should be. If you choose to commit a crime you should be prepared for all the consequences. Sorry.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Each state is going to be a little different. Go spend and hour with a local attorney and find out what your options are. No attorney worth listening to will give you any advise here.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links