Indiana is trying to get me killed

This is a discussion on Indiana is trying to get me killed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, not exactly but I still found this kind of funny. I got my lifetime permit in the mail today. Up until now I just ...

Thread: Indiana is trying to get me killed

Well, not exactly but I still found this kind of funny. I got my lifetime permit in the mail today. Up until now I just had a 4 year. It came with a seperate page that lists various fire arm tips. Most of them are good information for people unfamiliar with firearms but one made me chuckle

-When not in use, a firearm should be stored unloaded in a gun safe, lock box or other secure location, seperate from the ammunition.

Thanks for the tip but I doubt a home invader is going to be polite enough to wait while a retreive my gun, then retreive my ammo and THEN load it before shooting him.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Well, not exactly but I still found this kind of funny. I got my lifetime permit in the mail today. Up until now I just had a 4 year. It came with a seperate page that lists various fire arm tips. Most of them are good information for people unfamiliar with firearms but one made me chuckle

-When not in use, a firearm should be stored unloaded in a gun safe, lock box or other secure location, seperate from the ammunition.

Thanks for the tip but I doubt a home invader is going to be polite enough to wait while a retreive my gun, then retreive my ammo and THEN load it before shooting him.
    Dont forget to take off the child proof lock mechanism . . .
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    It says 'When not in use...' -- if you are using a firearm for home defense, then it is most definitely 'in use'.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    It says 'When not in use...' -- if you are using a firearm for home defense, then it is most definitely 'in use'.
    +1 personal defense handgun is always in use.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Well, not exactly but I still found this kind of funny. I got my lifetime permit in the mail today. Up until now I just had a 4 year. It came with a separate page that lists various fire arm tips. Most of them are good information for people unfamiliar with firearms but one made me chuckle

-When not in use, a firearm should be stored unloaded in a gun safe, lock box or other secure location, separate from the ammunition.

Thanks for the tip but I doubt a home invader is going to be polite enough to wait while a retrieve my gun, then retrieve my ammo and THEN load it before shooting him.
    Congrats on your lifetime permit! That would be awesome to have in my book. Safety.............you know......your post reminds me of something. I'd like to tell our safety coordinator at work that some of the policies and practices we need to go through are actually putting me more at risk then the way they were originally intended. Thing is.......working around others that may tend to be unsafe, or don't take the time to think about what or how they are doing things, and the company's liability issues...I can kinda see why they end up doing these 'blanket' safety measures for the general population. Just looking at things from another perspective. Hey! At least they are only suggesting these (silly to you and me) practices. You could live somewhere else that mandates them. Just think about that.

It is sound advice for general use

Like anything else its a baseline tip for the masses. You can pick and choose. I will state that my 2 defensive firearms are always ready for use, The rest of my guns are unloaded and cased usually in some state of being broken down for storage purposes.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The "when not in use" line is also part of the NRA basic pistol safety info. They do, indeed, stick to the point of view that a home defense pistol is in use basically all the time.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Thats like Maryland. Requires the person carrying a weapon in their vehicle (allowable for trips to the range etc...only) to have a dissambled weapon, a magazine with no ammo somewhere else separated from the magazine, and, on weapons bought in the state of Maryland after 2002 an internal locking safety mechanism. I think thats like 5 or six steps just to fire one round. Thank God the laws keep the criminals safe from law-abiding citizens!
    XD40SC

VIP Member
    May you outlive your license.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Congratulations on your lifetime permit!
    NRA Life Member
    Indiana Lifetime permit holder
    USCCA member

Congrats on your luck...to live in a state that gives lifetime permits.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Yep. Maybe VA will get them now that little Timmy Kaine is moving out of the mansion and we have 2 mostly pro-gun (so far) candidates in the running.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

"But it's for the children!!!!"

Sorry, that slipped. I'll go crawl back into my hole now.

Before I crawl away, I'll say I understand your point. A few years ago I drove across OH and IN. I had copies of the laws printed out, and it was still a hassle trying to obey every law.

I forgot which state I was in, but whenever I thought there was a chance I might get pulled over, I had to place both my firearms ON MY BODY in order to meet the law. I saw so many LEO's that I finally just put both of them in my waistband and left them, even as uncomfortable as they were (cheap holsters, tight belt).

Okay, crawling now.

Links