age to own and carry

This is a discussion on age to own and carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am 19. I know it is legal for me to get my concealed carry permit in Indiana. Is it legal for me to carry ...

Thread: age to own and carry

age to own and carry

I am 19. I know it is legal for me to get my concealed carry permit in Indiana. Is it legal for me to carry one of my dad's handguns with this permit?

2. Remove Ads

If it's legal for you to have a gun it doesn't matter whom it belongs to.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjackson1 View Post
    I am 19. I know it is legal for me to get my concealed carry permit in Indiana. Is it legal for me to carry one of my dad's handguns with this permit?
    If 19 is the legal age for a permit, then it should be legal to carry a gun, provided whoever the gun belongs to has given you permission.

BTW, welcome to the forum from Virginia.
    Last edited by archer51; October 17th, 2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added welcome

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'm not sure about Indiana, but here in Michigan I can carry any handgun that is registered here in MI.
    Check your state firearms laws just to be sure.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Why don't you email the Indiana attorney general to check. It may be worth getting you dad to write a letter stating that you have permission to be in possession of his gun in case you are ever stopped.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    19 for a handgun? Wow. I thought it was every state required you to be 21.

If you can receive your LTCH, then you can legally carry any handgun that is "legal" for you to have in your possession ie....if the owner gives you permission to carry said weapon. You can read most of the law concerning your license at Handgunlaw.us.
    XD40SC

VIP Member
    Federal law prevents a dealer from selling a handgun or cosmetically impaired rifle to anyone under 18. Some states say 21. IN allows 18 yr olds on up to own and carry with an "unlimited license" any handgun lawfully possessed. Check with your police department to see if guns have to be registered. If so, you'll probably need some kind of written permission to carry someone else's gun. If not, you may only need their verbal permission. I'm not a lawyer (IANAL) and you have to verify all this yourself.
    Last edited by gunthorp; October 17th, 2009 at 10:05 PM.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I assisted all of my kids with obtaining their Indiana lifetime LTCH as soon as they turned 18... I still have one at home under 18. Once they each received their LTCH, I helped them in the purchase their first handgun. In Indiana, they were able to carry a handgun with a LTCH, but they could not purchase one or the ammunition on their own.

Each of my kids have grown up around firearms of all kinds and have a comfort level with guns that only familiarity can bring. My oldest son is 25 and has a larger gun collection than I do. My 20 year old son is an MP in the Marines and already has a nice personal collection beginning (He shoots expert in both pistols and rifles. Any Marine will tell you that is pretty darn good.). My 18 year old daughter has a single handgun and feels that it is all she will need. (If you saw her shoot, you would agree.) My youngest daughter is almost 6 years old and received her first Crickett .22 rifle when she turned 5.

To answer your question... As long as you have your LTCH, you can possess a handgun given to you buy a parent or legal guardian. Some will tell you that a FTF purchase of a firearm is also fine, but I would not recommend it for you or the seller.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Same in NM.......

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    19 for a handgun? Wow. I thought it was every state required you to be 21.
    Have to be 21 to purchase from a dealer, but for private sales or possession, only 19.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Federal law prevents a dealer from selling a handgun or cosmetically impaired rifle to anyone under 18.
    gunthorp,

I am sure you meant to say 21 in the above statement.

VIP Member
    Yes 21, some states allow ownership at 18. Is my Ahlz showing? Thanks NavyLT.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Yes 21, some states allow ownership at 18. Is my Ahlz showing? Thanks NavyLT.
    I take medication for my senility, I just can't remember what's its called right now

Links