My New Analogy

This is a discussion on My New Analogy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can also add that airbag systems have a negative impact on fuel economy. The airbag electronic control module requires electricity in the continuous monitoring of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My New Analogy

GMS
    Can also add that airbag systems have a negative impact on fuel economy. The airbag electronic control module requires electricity in the continuous monitoring of vehicle sensors. This increases demand on the engine and decreases fuel economy. The decrease in fuel economy is small, but does technically exist.

This analogy works really well for those that ask about the weight cost of daily carry, or express a genuine interest -good or bad- about why a person might choose to carry.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMS View Post
    Can also add that airbag systems have a negative impact on fuel economy. The airbag electronic control module requires electricity in the continuous monitoring of vehicle sensors. This increases demand on the engine and decreases fuel economy. The decrease in fuel economy is small, but does technically exist.
    Ooh. Now that sounds like a total kidney punch to the typical clueless Obama-voting liberal! "Come on. Why have an airbag? I mean, you've never used it before, have you? And besides, we have to SAVE THE PLANET!!! So you would put your own personal safety above the greater good?!?!?"

Nah. Even I'm not THAT cruel.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good point and analogy.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

My parents are this way. They go as far as they make me leave my gun in my car when I come over. They don't even realize that makes me hesistant to even go there, because I don't feel comfortable leaving a gun in my car without me for one even though I do from time to time when I have to. My parents also are very sheepish as they don't have a good system of locking doors and windows at night either. I think over all things locking your doors inside your house or while in your car waiting at a stop light is your first defense against an intrusion or attack. Your second defense would be to flee if your in your car. If your in your home go to your nearest phone and room where a firearm is located unless its on you than fire at will. I've tried talking sense into my parents and it scares me cause I love them. But they refuse to believe we live in a world where the news happens in real life, and not just on tv. I one time read a newspaper article that showed all the crime that has happened in certain areas (and one of them was our neighborhood) and there were crimes all over the place around us that we had never been informed of. Still no difference in the way they prepare against an attack. I've always been wary of those types of things. I guess certain people are more instinctive than most. I think thats where most legal gun owners fall in. My parents always called it paranoid. I would lock all the doors before I would go to sleep as a child. I even lock my parents doors before I leave if its after dark. They would even leave the front garage open (just out of pure negligence) and the door inside the garage would be unlocked as well. If they can call me paranoid. Than I can call them negligent or even stupid. I guess I'll never understand why people can live like that. I've even showed her on television that in florida (where I live) there has been 2 home invasions that have resulted in murders of all people inside the home at the time. And randomly as well. The real bad guys know the easiest way to kill someone and get away with it is to kill someone you don't know. I guess at this point I'm just ranting. Oh well, you can't protect people who don't want protection. They'd rather live life blissfully yet ignorant.

VIP Member
    In fact there have probably been more air bag deaths than CCW's getting killed with their own EDC's. You also have to wear your seat belt to keep the air bag from giving you a knock out blow to the head.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I use the motorcycle helmet analogy, which I like even more than airbags. You can't easily decide to leave the house without the airbag, whereas all too many people will ride around with the helmet sitting on a shelf back in the garage. Then when you realize that today is the day you REALLY NEED that helmet, it's too late.

It's very much your own fault for electing to leave the helmet behind, whereas the airbag is built in - the nanny state decided for you.

Great analogies

I'm going to have to use them on my in-laws and husband.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

The analogies are not bad, same line as the fire extinguisher analogy.

I will say that being home for my first robbery (home invasion? I am sure they knew I was there.) really highlighted that "bad things" aren't just something that happens to other people.

I also like pointing out that, in my area, you are tens of thousand of times as likely to be involved in a violent crime as to win the lottery. You have to pay to play the lottery.

Edit: err, I think it's 10's of thousands, I need to check my math...Do your own here though!

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_05.html

Remember, the powerball is 1:146,107,962 to win. Your state will be several hundred to 100,000 generally speaking.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    "Sure, you hear about those things, but who do you know that has ever had that happen to them?"

My boss, who lives across the street from me.

He woke with a home invader's gun in his face. The man then attempted to abduct my boss's teen daughter.

Thankfully, he was unsuccessful, though I'm unsure how it was resolved.

I live in a "good" neighborhood...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links