"Issue" with pocket carry

This is a discussion on "Issue" with pocket carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Holster has a trigger guard, is mental telepathy going to cause it to fire? No? Didn't think so....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Issue" with pocket carry

Holster has a trigger guard, is mental telepathy going to cause it to fire? No? Didn't think so.

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    So, when you have a regular IWB or OWB and the muzzle is downwards, do you realize you are technically pointing it at everyone below you if you're on a floor above ground level, or you have a basement?

Or what if you have a shoulder holster that points the muzzle to the rear. You're sweeping everyone behind you at all times. How about when you walk into the gun shop and all the pistols in the case are pointed out, sweeping everyone who walks by!

See my point? It's when you have the gun in hand, you need to be really cognizant of where that muzzle is pointing, but if it's secure in a good holster, with the trigger covered and your hand nowhere near it, you don't need to let this rule bother you so much.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

The gun barrel is pointing at your wife when you are sitting across from her and you are wearing your SmartCarry? The gun is actually almost horizontal?

I'm just surprised because my gun points somewhere between my feet when I'm sitting.

I suppose we are all different, with different body types, pants, etc., but it's still surprising to me.

Are you wearing the SC low in the crotch area as it is designed to be worn?

I can more easily understand your point about pocket carry. When I'm sitting across from my wife, if my knees are spread, then the barrel won't be pointing at her.

As others have said, a good pocket holster should ensure safety, but it's still not a bad thing to be cognizant of where the barrel is pointing.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    So, when you have a regular IWB or OWB and the muzzle is downwards, do you realize you are technically pointing it at everyone below you if you're on a floor above ground level, or you have a basement?

Or what if you have a shoulder holster that points the muzzle to the rear. You're sweeping everyone behind you at all times. How about when you walk into the gun shop and all the pistols in the case are pointed out, sweeping everyone who walks by!

See my point? It's when you have the gun in hand, you need to be really cognizant of where that muzzle is pointing, but if it's secure in a good holster, with the trigger covered and your hand nowhere near it, you don't need to let this rule bother you so much.
    Yes, a horizontal shoulder holster would have the same 'problem', but I don't really use one so I didn't mention it. A hip holster is pointed down and is not DIRECTLY pointed at people, whereas a pocket holster when seated is direct line of sight. Like I said above, I know this is psychological and I know the gun isn't just going to go off magically while sitting in a proper holster, but ingrained gun safety doesn't give up easily, and I'm frankly glad that it doesn't. I would much rather be overly safe than not safe enough. I see unbelievably sloppy gun handling at public ranges and in gun shops all the time, and I would much rather err on the safe, cautious side than on the careless side.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    The gun barrel is pointing at your wife when you are sitting across from her and you are wearing your SmartCarry? The gun is actually almost horizontal?

I'm just surprised because my gun points somewhere between my feet when I'm sitting.

I suppose we are all different, with different body types, pants, etc., but it's still surprising to me.

Are you wearing the SC low in the crotch area as it is designed to be worn?

I can more easily understand your point about pocket carry. When I'm sitting across from my wife, if my knees are spread, then the barrel won't be pointing at her.

As others have said, a good pocket holster should ensure safety, but it's still not a bad thing to be cognizant of where the barrel is pointing.
    Yes, I wear it as low as it will go (it bottoms out at the bottom of my pants crotch seam.) When worn in the middle as recommended, it's probably pointing at her knees, but when worn at about 11:00 (much more comfortable for me), the barrel sits under my pocket on top of my leg, so basically the same as a pocket holster would be.

I hesitated about whether or not to even post this question as I figured I would get slaughtered as being paranoid, but I figured I can't be the only one who has the same concern and thought it might help me to overcome it. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    We often have a problem with anti-gun people because no matter how logical our arguments are the anti-gunners can't overcome their ingrained fears and emotions. We can't believe that logic doesn't overcome fear, emotion, and brainwashing.

Seems to me this is the same situation as questioned in this thread. The logic that the gun will not go off without pulling the trigger can't overcome the ingrained (brainwashed) safety rule.

Just goes to show - some people tend to be ruled by logic, others by brainwashing, and others by emotion. It's wonderful that we're not all the same - that would be totally boring!

Bobo
    Bobo, I could make a similar argument that if I were to take a firearm and unload it, then point it at someone and pull the trigger, logic says there is no way the gun will fire, but the ingrained (brainwashed) rules say you should never ever do this. Technically an unloaded gun will not fire if pointed at someone and trigger pulled, but I will still not easily discard the rule just because logic tells me that it can't or shouldn't happen. Much of gun safety is founded in extreme caution, as I believe it should be.

VIP Member
    Your concern is unfounded so tell you not to worry about it probably won't help... change your carry!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by P J 234 View Post
    Yes, I wear it as low as it will go (it bottoms out at the bottom of my pants crotch seam.) When worn in the middle as recommended, it's probably pointing at her knees, but when worn at about 11:00 (much more comfortable for me), the barrel sits under my pocket on top of my leg, so basically the same as a pocket holster would be.

I hesitated about whether or not to even post this question as I figured I would get slaughtered as being paranoid, but I figured I can't be the only one who has the same concern and thought it might help me to overcome it. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions!
    Okay, I see your point if you wear it with the gun along the top of your leg. I've read of others using it the same way and being more comfortable for them than the standard 12 o'clock carry.

I think if I were in that situation, I might just spread my knees far enough apart to where the gun wouldn't be pointing at her. Granted, it will be pointing somewhere else, but as distance increases, the chances of a human getting hit decrease.

Just hypothetical, though, since it shouldn't go off anyway, but I see your point about being uncomfortable with the barrel pointing at her.

I wouldn't carry anything in a smartcarry or soft pocket holster that wasn't DA with a pull weight of at least 8#, or with 1911 style multiple safeties (ie no Glock in a Smartcarry). I know some will disagree, but if its going in my pants, it's in kydex or has a long heavy trigger. This also makes me comfortable about the "pointing a loaded gun issue" as most of the time it's pointed at me (even if it's my foot).

I have often thought of trying to make a kydex smartcarry type holster with a thumb pushoff like the Fist pocket holster and a soft elastic band to keep it on. I think it would be a hit, and would have the added advantage of being less bulky, to get rid of that "diaper" feeling.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    If you can't in waste band (IWB) carry what about a shoulder holster? I think the same way never point a gun at something you don't want it to hit. But these guys give good advice, if the trigger is protected you should be ok.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

you NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES point a gun at ANYONE
    How are you supposed to shoot the bad guy?

IMO, carrying a firearm is all about being smart and knowing your weapon. If this is something you constantly worry about I suggest you stop carrying untill you sort it out. In my mind it's in the same ballpark as all the people who "think" it's unsafe to carry a chambered round. Know yourself, know your weapon, and carry on smartly.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

No. I would not pocket carry without a holster. When my LCP is holstered in my pocket, I forget it is there.

PJ -
    Believe me, I get where you"re coming from. My dad wouldn't even let us point a STICK at anyone, because he wanted that mentality to be absolutely engrained and automatic, so we wouldn't have to think about it when handling a real weapon. ('Course, he was a B-29 tail-gunner over Japan - seeing tracers flying past your head could change the way a man thinks about stuff..... )

This influenced my choice of carry handguns. My FNP40 fills the bill for me, anyway - with one in the chamber and the weapon decocked, the only way it'll fire is a long DA pull of the trigger. I'm an aircraft mechanic, and don't trust machines as a function of achieving total safety (or at least as close as we can get to it), so I don't like SA striker-fired weapons. I don't like anything standing by over the firing pin regardless of what 'safety' is engaged. I'll decock my external hammer, thank you, and deal with the long DA pull when the time comes.

And my holster's a simple Uncle Mike soft IWB - when seated, the muzzle's pointed straight down into my thigh. Talk about "muzzle awareness"

Six

There is only one way to be "totally safe" and not "point" a gun. Dismantle the gun into small pieces, put pieces in a locked case, and then place case in a secure gun safe that will never be approached by a living person. You are now 100% safe by the no point rule. Everything else is a compromise.

I am not knocking safety, but I am pointing out that all safety rules are compromised to some degree anytime a device or machine is put in motion. The only way a car is totally safe to pedestrians is when the tank is empty and the car is locked into a garage with the keys thrown away. The car cannot now hurt anybody. Any other state means that the auto can be out in motion and can possibly hurt somebody. Question: Following this logic, how long will it take you to get to work tomorrow, walking?

The "no point" rule is taught as an absolute, but is immediately violated to some degree as soon as the gun is loaded and placed into use.

Trigger is the point of danger, make sure it is covered and not touched on draw. For pocket carry it is also good practice to carry weapon with relatively heavy trigger pull.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I'm going to speak bluntly here - not trying to be an ass or anything, but here goes... It's interesting the lengths which we'll go to legally conceal a handgun. The classes, the paperwork, the background checks, and if we all do our part - regular practice. We are all essentially carrying to protect our fellow man in the case of a dire emergency we hope will never come - but mainly ourselves. It strikes me as - well I don't know the word for it right now - I guess foolish - that a license holder would let oneself's physical state go so far in the weight department and risk damage to the body. Why go to such extreme lengths to get a permit/license (whatever it's called in your area) to protect yourself and let the concept of fitness go out the window? I'm not trying to preach, that question was rhetorical. It's akin to (though maybe not as extreme) carrying a double stack 10mm and a .357 Sig backup gun for protection and smoking 2 packs a day. It doesn't make sense. I say hit the gym, get rid of the "spare tire" you mentioned - iron out that "pear shape" - maybe stop going to the restaurants you mentioned and start a healthy diet at the house. Then you can wear your gun in a real holster (this is subjective, of course) that you can actually get a quick draw from without having to dig around in your crotch area below the spare tire first. Why carry a gun to protect yourself if you're slowly killing yourself anyway? We all carry to protect ourselves. Carrying all day, every day is a major part of protecting yourself, but it doesn't end there. Everybody needs to take care of their body too. On a lighter note, if you keep your finger off the trigger, you'll be fine - it's especially important to do that when you're using the smart carry so you won't pop yourself one in the johnson. Take care of yourselves, everyone. Goodnight.

Perhaps adjust the way you sit?
    If you gun is in your right pocket, sit at a slight angle with your left side towards her.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links