"Issue" with pocket carry - Page 3

"Issue" with pocket carry

This is a discussion on "Issue" with pocket carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; PJ, Maybe I missed it but nowhere do you say what gun you carry. Perhaps you aren't comfortable with your choice? Some folks are scared ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Issue" with pocket carry

PJ, Maybe I missed it but nowhere do you say what gun you carry. Perhaps you aren't comfortable with your choice? Some folks are scared silly that a Glock will go off at the slightest touch. You may need to change your weapon.

If it's not your gun, are you using a pocket holster and have nothing else in that pocket? Perhaps you would feel more comfy with a kydex pocket holster. Nothing is going to pull the trigger through a layer of kydex.

As far as the SmartCarry goes I have heard of a few paranoid people inserting a piece of plastic cut from a milk jug on both sides of their gun so the SmartCarry is no longer soft sided! Give that a try.

If none of these work for you I would suggest that you go with a fanny pack. Tommy's Gun Pack is a great product that is customisable to fit you and your needs.

Good luck figuring out just what works for you!
    Question Everything!

I am going to counter I carry IWB and say chow down. Obviously we want to be in good health but the way things should be rarely align with the way things are. Even if you go the better health route, that doesn't solve your immediate problem.

I am fat.....like beached whale fat. This is fact. You are pear shaped? I am grapefruit shaped. My Glock 27 in a Crossbreed Supertuck has been extremely comfortable for me. I wear it at about the 4 o'clock position. Being round means that there is the gap that forms between the armrest and the back of chairs. My Supertuck fits perfectly in this void. This goes for my small Nissan truck as well. Yeah, 400 pounds and I still fit comfortably with the holster in place.

And to the health points, I have no doubt that my life span will be drastically reduced but this is the choice I have made. Some people choose to kill themselves a cigarette at a time, I do it a bacon double cheeseburger at a time. Mmmmmmm, bacon. Of course, a guy I worked with years ago always worked out and ate the plain flavorless chicken breast, salad and glass of water at lunch died of an aortic aneurysm at 31 so when I saw his obituary, I raised my fists to the heavens and triumphantly shouted, "Against all odds, I WON!"

Side note: Kind of funny being able to leg press 1000 pounds easy and not be able to bench press 100. Yes, you can be this fat and still be active.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

If the gun is in a holster, I wouldn't worry about it.
    On you belt, in a fanny pack, shoulder holster, siting on a table...it's going to be pointing at somebody is a room somewhere, but in a holster it can't fire by itself.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for all the additional replies. I'll say it again, I know this is primarily something psychological that just needs to be overcome, and that all safety is relative, but I'm also glad to hear I'm not alone in this situation.

I'll try to address some of the points above...I apologize if I missed anything:

Yes, I am overweight and I know it's not healthy. I am currently working on it, but I have been fighting it my whole life and I also just ended a very stressful career of traveling non-stop which means eating all meals in a restaurant on an expense account and lots of sitting in chairs, airplanes, and cars. I am not huge or obese (about 6', 240 lbs) but the way I carry the extra weight and the way I'm built, carrying on my hip just doesn't work very well. I have no butt, wide hips, and a spare tire at the wide hips. A hip holster is reasonably comfortable, but it sticks out, bumps into furniture, and even without a holster on sometimes I just don't fit well in the width of many common chairs (planes, restaurant chairs, home furniture, etc.) Some say their spare tire helps to hide the gun, but I think it hinders my ability to do so.

In the pocket, I've carried a NAA .22 mag (leather), Smith J frame (leather), a P3AT (leather and kydex), and a Glock 27 (leather). Nothing ever goes in the pocket with any of them. In the SmartCarry, it's been G27, G23, G22. All hide about the same for me, so I tend to go for the G22 in the SC. The soft construction of the SC concerns me more than a leather or kydex holster, but that's not really the primary issue here and sort of a separate issue.

I may feel ever so slightly more 'safe' with the revolvers, but not significantly so. It has more to do with the concept in general of muzzle direction than the type/brand/caliber of handgun. Again, I'm not paranoid it's going to magically discharge, it's more of getting over the indoctrination of the gun safety rules.

Anyway, this discussion has made me feel a little better about things already, so thanks again to those who have contributed their opinions.

As a large, but by no means "fat" person, I would like to come to the defense of those who are much larger than I am. Given the choice between the health consequences of living in a Wealthy nation versus the health consequences of living in a Poor nation, I will take the health consequences of wealth over povery any day. Being in a profession where I deal with international students all the time, I am reminded how many in the rest of the world see being over weight as a sign of prosperity and blessing from God.

Majority of the times my wife and I share the same side of the booth, or table. As far as worried if the pistol will discharge a round magically, never had that fear.

If someone can produce some evidence other than hearsay that a round can inadvertently discharge on it's own, I'll give it the consideration it deserves. Until then, relax and remember that guns don't shoot people. People shoot people.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

"Israeli Carry"

I agree with the other posters. If the gun is properly holstered and in good mechanical condition with ammunition in good condition there is nothing to worry about. However that being said if you are still concerned with concealed carry with a round in the chamber, you might consider the so-called "Israeli Carry", i.e. the method of condition 3 carry, which I hope is discussed elsewhere on this forum. I have trained using this method yet not wanting to start a flame war, I am not advocating the Israeli Carry one way or the other. However if you train to use the method it can be very efficient and may bridge you to get over the psychological barrier of carrying with a chambered round.

Maybe you should do this experiment: Unload your gun, put it in your holster (while holding the holster in your hands, perhaps in your lap), and then try to get the gun to dry-fire (if allowed for your gun) by rubbing on the outside of the holster (in a way that is more aggressive than could possibly happen accidentally). If you can't get it to dry-fire that way, maybe that will reassure you about your carry method being safe. If you CAN make it dry-fire, then try to modify the holster (or try another holster) until you CAN'T make it dry-fire.

Mike Fontenot

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Majority of the times my wife and I share the same side of the booth, or table.
    x2, sit next to your honey, problem solved

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ansehnlich1 View Post
    x2, sit next to your honey, problem solved
    FINALLY! The right answer!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links