"Issue" with pocket carry

This is a discussion on "Issue" with pocket carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an issue with pocket carry (also applies to my SmartCarry) which I know is mostly psychological, but just wondering if anyone else shares ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have an issue with pocket carry (also applies to my SmartCarry) which I know is mostly psychological, but just wondering if anyone else shares the same problem. For example, when I am seated across from my wife in a restaurant, the muzzle of my loaded weapon is pointed directly at her (and/or other restaurant patrons). Intellectually I know it will not discharge on it's own, but it was so beat into my head growing up that you NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES point a gun at ANYONE, that it bothers me and makes me not want to carry in those circumstances.

Unfortunately the obvious solution, a hip holster, doesn't work all that well for me due to my size and shape (think pear!) My spare tire pushes everything out pretty badly, not to mention banging into chair arm rests and just not fitting into many chairs period. Pocket and smartcarry holsters work so much better for me that it's my preferred method at this point.

Just wondering if anyone else has shared a similar issue, and what you did to overcome it.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I would shift it in my pocket to point it in a slightly different direction.

I have the same mindset; even though I intellectually know that it can't fire on its own, I never allow it to point at someone.

It's a good mindset to have.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I never really think about where the muzzle is pointing when pocket carrying. The gun is in a holster, and in my pocket and no way it is going to go bang unless I pull the trigger, so I really don't give it a second thought. This also comes with 14+ years of carrying, when I first started CCing I thought about it much more than I do now, now it's just second nature.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    In a proper holster that covers the trigger guard, I wouldn't worry. It's when you draw that muzzle control becomes an issue.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

When I pocket carry I try to wear cargo style pants, the kind with the cargo pocket on the side of the pant. I can easily point the muzzle in a downward angle with little effort if need be.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

My J frame Smith & Wesson 642 has a fairly hefty trigger pull and always sits in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I honestly don't ever thing about it being pointed at someone or my self.

When properly holstered, it doesn't matter what direction the muzzle if facing. You have to differentiate between "pointing" the gun at something, and having the gun facing a certain direction. You're gun is only "POINTING" at something when it is NOT holstered or in a case.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

You already know that your fear is irrational and illogical, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I would shift it in my pocket to point it in a slightly different direction.

I have the same mindset; even though I intellectually know that it can't fire on its own, I never allow it to point at someone.

It's a good mindset to have.

Why would an irrational fear be a good mindset to have ?
    You lost me there.

I can understand where it is you're coming from. My preferred method of carry is a horizontal shoulder holster. I always used to worry about how I was "sweeping" everyone who was behind me.

However, in the 13 years I've carried, my weapon has never magically discharged. The trigger is covered by either leather, nylon, or kydex no matter how I've carried. It would take a miracle to actually be able to pull the trigger while it's in it's holster.

Just try to think of it this way, you're only pointing it when it's out of the holster. If you also carry OC spray, do you worry about how the nozzle is pointed? You're good to go, and I know it goes against a lifetime of reinforcement, but you need to realize that you're not technically pointing it in any direction if it's holstered.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member
    As long as the weapon is properly holstered it will not go off. As others have mentioned, a holstered gun is going to sweep others, or yourself at times. As long as the trigger is not touched your fine. Now if you have the weapon in your hand, that is a different situation. In those circumstances DO NOT point it in the direction of a person, or anything else you do not intend to shoot.

KoB
    Trust me, I understand your feelings! It was just last week I typed here on this site my exact same feelings!

After reading all of the replies, I realized that I was PARINOID for no reason. Now when I pocket carry I don't have a problem with my weapon going off. One solution I used was I went to the range and actually pulled the trigger on my revolver SLOWLY and FELT how much pressure was needed for the trigger to activate the gun to discharge. After doing this for several rounds, I realized that alot of pressure was needed and that yes I was PARINOID for no reason!
    Now I just put my set-up (revolver & holster) in my pocket and go about my business. Sometimes forgetting it's even there! I will admit that I am very careful not to bump that pocket or put anything on top of that pocket while sitting down.

Once again I would like to thank all of those DC members who replied and assisted me with my unnecessary PARINOIA!

Hope this helps you!

I have carried a Smith bodyguard in my right front pocket for close to 15 years. It is loaded and in a holster and has never been an issue. What about the hundreds or maybe thousands of loaded guns that are in police holsters that have been "pointed" at people for years and have never gone off? Don't let fear paralyze you.

Thanks for all the input! I know this is something I just need to get over, but I do like the suggestion of shifting it in the pocket to minimize the effect when possible.

It's a subtle differentiation, but I'm not worried or paranoid it's going to magically go off on it's own inside a quality holster with the trigger covered, it's just fighting years of safety lessons ingrained from my father and others that every gun is loaded (even if you just checked it and found it not to be) and you never point it at anyone under any circumstances (aside from the obvious of course.) Also, there's always that what if...what if it somehow came unholstered from my quality holster during normal activity and I did not know about it. However remote the chances, this sort of thing could happen and it's something that I consider.

I read a while back on another forum about a guy who posted that he bought a SmartCarry knockoff at a gunshow, and as I recall he shot himself when kneeling down with an auto of some kind, I believe it even had a manual safety. I know, it was probably a fluke and not a 'good' holster to begin with, but freak accidents can happen and the consequences are obviously very serious.

Anyway, thanks again for all the responses.

We often have a problem with anti-gun people because no matter how logical our arguments are the anti-gunners can't overcome their ingrained fears and emotions. We can't believe that logic doesn't overcome fear, emotion, and brainwashing.

Seems to me this is the same situation as questioned in this thread. The logic that the gun will not go off without pulling the trigger can't overcome the ingrained (brainwashed) safety rule.

Just goes to show - some people tend to be ruled by logic, others by brainwashing, and others by emotion. It's wonderful that we're not all the same - that would be totally boring!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

The OP's concern is, as he suggests, irrational and only time and experience might deal with it. Remember, no matter what kind of holster you wear, or where it is placed on your body, or how the gun is carried the muzzle is always pointing somewhere

An AD could result in someone getting shot, particularly the one who is carrying the gun. It will always be a problem and fear of it will always be somewhat irrational. Deal with it!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links