Visiting Maggie Valley, NC

This is a discussion on Visiting Maggie Valley, NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going to be visiting Maggie Valley, NC for a few days and am sure to get my exercise locking up the pistols every time we ...

Going to be visiting Maggie Valley, NC for a few days and am sure to get my exercise locking up the pistols every time we go onto the Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smokey Mountains National Forest, Cherokee, Etc.

Last trip was to Boston.

Will someone PPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEEEE tell me how to convince my wife to visit places that are more CCW friendly?

All kidding aside I am really looking forward to the mountains.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You may want to check a map but when my wife and I went up to Cherokee and
    Gaitlinburg, I purposefully went hwy 19 (through Maggie Valley) because it isn't part of the Smokey Mountain NP; or so I thought.
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

Hey! See if GHOST TOWN IN THE SKY is still operational? I went there a couple of times as a kid and they had one of those swing rides that had half it's arc over about a 500 foot cliff! Awesome.

BTW, your ccw permit is good inside the Great Smokey Mountains National Park and most everywhere else you mentioned I think. Believe it or not Obama signed the bill in which those allowances were a "rider." When I go to NC I carry durn near everywhere EXCEPT into a movie theater!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Cool

I could be wrong, and correct me if I am, but I think the bill that Obama signed which included the National Park carry provision, doesn't go into effect till Feb 2010.

I will be coming in from the East so no worry about hitting the park on the way there and a quick google search shows hdawson is correct. Not allowed until Feb 2010.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Hey! See if GHOST TOWN IN THE SKY is still operational? I went there a couple of times as a kid and they had one of those swing rides that had half it's arc over about a 500 foot cliff! Awesome.

BTW, your ccw permit is good inside the Great Smokey Mountains National Park and most everywhere else you mentioned I think. Believe it or not Obama signed the bill in which those allowances were a "rider." When I go to NC I carry durn near everywhere EXCEPT into a movie theater!
    While it was signed into law. It doesn't take affect until Feb. 22, 2010.

They re-opened last year if I remember. Lots of chapter 11 problems now.

Question Ummmmm

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    I could be wrong, and correct me if I am, but I think the bill that Obama signed which included the National Park carry provision, doesn't go into effect till Feb 2010.
    No, I think it merely restored a right given by GW Bush prior and was in effect from the moment of signature. But somebody should check. I could be wrong and I ain't traveling!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf According to the link it does not go into affect until Feb. 2010.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

No, I think it merely restored a right given by GW Bush prior and was in effect from the moment of signature. But somebody should check. I could be wrong and I ain't traveling!
    You are wrong. It's not effective until Feb 2010.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

It actually IS NOt effective until Feb 2010

Hi ExSoldier,

I was recently in the Manassas National Battlefield Park and they have a notice posted in the Visitor Center warning us not to carry until the specific date the new law goes into effect in Feb 2010.

Sorry to bring bad news...
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    All kidding aside I am really looking forward to the mountains.
    Beautiful this time of year!!
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    Going to be visiting Maggie Valley, NC for a few days and am sure to get my exercise locking up the pistols every time we go onto the Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smokey Mountains National Forest, Cherokee, Etc.
    You should be good to go in Cherokee. Someone from another board called the Police Chief and he gave them the OK. They can make up some of their own laws since they are a separate "Nation" so to speak. Call him if you need to verify.

If you are in Waynesville around lunch, try The Patio. It's off main, around the corner from the kitchen store. Butts on the Creek in Maggie has some good BBQ. Head out to Cataloochee for the elk. Try getting there around in the evening, before dark. I hear the rut is starting.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    You should be good to go in Cherokee. Someone from another board called the Police Chief and he gave them the OK. They can make up some of their own laws since they are a separate "Nation" so to speak. Call him if you need to verify.

If you are in Waynesville around lunch, try The Patio. It's off main, around the corner from the kitchen store. Butts on the Creek in Maggie has some good BBQ. Head out to Cataloochee for the elk. Try getting there around in the evening, before dark. I hear the rut is starting.
    Thanks for the heads up & I will call him today. Last time I saw Elk was in Banff, AB in the Canadian Rockies and would love to see some again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post

I did call the Police on the reservation and they said they do recognize NC CCW permits.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Links