fired for practicing my second amendment rights

This is a discussion on fired for practicing my second amendment rights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My employer is about to fire for practicing my second amendment right. One of the managers at the Utah Costco I work at noticed my ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: fired for practicing my second amendment rights

My employer is about to fire for practicing my second amendment right.

One of the managers at the Utah Costco I work at noticed my concealed firearm in the back of my pants. I am on 3 day suspension now pending termination. I am not sure what I need do to protect my second amendment right.

The police were called and it was confirmed I had done nothing illegal considering I have my Utah CCW.

Managers handled the situation very poorly trying to make me pull out the fire arm and place it on a desk. As well as announcing the situation in the office with coworkers around as well as the front end in front of more co-workers and costumers.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I guess you signed something stating that you understood the company policies. I'd check your handbook. If you broke the rules, that's on you. You have the right to speak freely as well. Your employer isn't bound by the Constitution which protects your rights.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Well that is rather unfortunate for you, the Bill of Rights applies to the government, not Costco. You have the right to carry, and your employer has the right to terminate you for cause, especially if you violated a company rule.

You should probably work on your carry set-up too if non-gun people were able to notice it
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Don't know what to say man. I mean I'm all against employers prohibiting carry in the work place, but I have to ask the obvious... I'm assuming you were aware of the companies no firearm policy? I know I am aware of mine... I'm usually pretty discrete about carry at work and won't stoop or bend if I feel my firearm can be seen.

Either way sorry for the lost job... IMO opinion I feel both you and your employer could have handled that much better. Maybe it will help you in the future of how to better conceal?

Did you know the rules prior to CCW at work?

Obviously it was not illegal, but your employer has a right to make demands concerning your carrying of a weapon on their property. It is then your decision to carry or not...it's a matter of how much you need employment. This topic had been discussed in numerous threads.

Why did you not conceal better?

I certainly agree with your RKBA, but it can be a great expense...as you are now aware.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cool

We have rights and so do the property/business owners have rights.

Thanks for your responses all. I guess the question I meant to ask is what steps can I take to take the situation to a civil suit against the employer. Allowing the courts decide weather or not it is okay to carry at the work place. I know simillar issues have came up in regards to parking lot carry. But I can not seem to find any court examples of in the work place situations.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    To be honest man... I think you are up the creek without a paddle on this one. Property rights if I am not mistaken are equal to or greater then individual rights. The government may not infringe on rights... doesn't say anything about private property.

Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    Thanks for your responses all. I guess the question I meant to ask is what steps can I take to take the situation to a civil suit against the employer. Allowing the courts decide weather or not it is okay to carry at the work place. I know simillar issues have came up in regards to parking lot carry. But I can not seem to find any court examples of in the work place situations.

You have no case in court...

well as stated above, this sucks but I bet the company handbook has covered this already. Costco is known for its anti gun stance.

so, the only blame is resting on your lap.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

You don't have a leg to stand on for a civil suit. If they informed you not to carry on the job/property, then you don't have any right to carry there. Plain and simple.
    Glock 22, Glock 23, S&W SW40VE, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

Fired

Why are you interested in sueing, if you screwed up? After 70 some years on this earth and having had permits since day one I would think you had enough sense to know the rules where you work.
    Peaceful

I know firearm laws are always in the works and changing I want to add an addition to efforts of stretching the workplace carry laws. Just don't know where to start.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    My employer is about to fire for practicing my second amendment right.
    One of the managers at the Utah Costco I work at noticed my concealed firearm in the back of my pants. I am on 3 day suspension now pending termination. I am not sure what I need do to protect my second amendment right.
    The police were called and it was confirmed I had done nothing illegal considering I have my Utah CCW.
    Managers handled the situation very poorly trying to make me pull out the fire arm and place it on a desk. As well as announcing the situation in the office with coworkers around as well as the front end in front of more co-workers and costumers.
    COSTCO Implemented a Corporate NO GUNS policy several years ago.

As an employee they most likely informed you of the policy.

You probably have no legal recourse unless there were other reasons for
    termination.

Sorry.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

You're up the proverbial tributary without a workable means of propulsion sir.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links